SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Has Anyone Actually Used One Of Trijicon's Amber Triangle Reticles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Actually Used One Of Trijicon's Amber Triangle Reticles? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
As the thread title says, has anyone used either an RMR or a reflex sight from Trijicon that uses their amber 12.9 triangle reticle? If so, what did you think about using an amber reticle rather than a green or red reticle?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used both the Reflex sight and an Accupoint 3-9x with the amber triangles.

Amber was originally intended for use with in-line night vision devices.

The reflex sight is pretty bad regardless of reticle.

The Amber triangle has been much more usable in the accupoint but The same scope would be better with a triangle in green or red respectively. In fact I’m planning on sending in the Amber 3-9x to have it changed to green

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
As the thread title says, has anyone used either an RMR or a reflex sight from Trijicon that uses their amber 12.9 triangle reticle? If so, what did you think about using an amber reticle rather than a green or red reticle?

I had the exact model you are talking about. Reflex with the 12.9 MOA amber triangle.

Unless you can get it for around $100 I would pass. If you are planning to use it for any kind of real life and death purposes, I would pass at any price. Battery free sounds awesome in theory.......

In reality, the tritium is only bright enough to make the triangle visible in total darkness. Then if you light up your target with a white light, boom, can't see the reticle anymore.

If you are outside in bright sun, the fiber optic makes the reticle plenty bright, sometimes too bright if the sun is shining directly on the face of the optic where the fiber optic is exposed.

If you are in an area of dim light, and looking through the optic at an area that is bright and sunny, reticle is almost invisible.

The polarizing filter to mitigate this, makes targets much harder to see. Even without the polarizing filter, the reflex sights have a lot of tint.

A battery powered red dot is preferable all the way around.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. Amber reticles struck me as an "I don't know why, but I don't know why not" proposition. Now I know why and why not!

I'm a bit surprised that the reflex sight doesn't work better than it does. That's an expensive piece of technology and it's still on the market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I had an amber German #4. It was beyond horrible. Trijon ended up replacing it for with a green #4 which is much better. I would stay away from amber. Period.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I had the exact model you are talking about. Reflex with the 12.9 MOA amber triangle.

Unless you can get it for around $100 I would pass. If you are planning to use it for any kind of real life and death purposes, I would pass at any price. Battery free sounds awesome in theory.......

In reality, the tritium is only bright enough to make the triangle visible in total darkness. Then if you light up your target with a white light, boom, can't see the reticle anymore.

If you are outside in bright sun, the fiber optic makes the reticle plenty bright, sometimes too bright if the sun is shining directly on the face of the optic where the fiber optic is exposed.

If you are in an area of dim light, and looking through the optic at an area that is bright and sunny, reticle is almost invisible.

The polarizing filter to mitigate this, makes targets much harder to see. Even without the polarizing filter, the reflex sights have a lot of tint.

A battery powered red dot is preferable all the way around.

I had the same model, IndianaBoy's comments match mine exactly.

The reflex was designed for CQB. Its huge reticle and no-magnification dictated that it will be most useful in very close combat. Except that having to dick with the polarization filter to get your reticle back takes time in what can be a very unforgiving mission profile.

Back when the reflex debuted, there weren't very many options for a non-battery powered CWB sight. Now, there are--there is no reason to go back.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a third to confirm don't do it but with an RMR> In the course of figuring out which RMR worked best for me (mind you on pistols not rifles) I literally got one of each. The dual illuminated ones are truly bad as fully defined above. The reticle itself doesn't bother me at all, I have an ACOG and I can adjust to the triangle, but if you can't see it (and the comments above have nothing to do with color IMO) you can't use it. just pass.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case it hasn’t been made clear: The amber triangle Reflex sucks worse than you can imagine.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Pass on Trijicon reflex sights.

They wash terribly, in the most common of situations.

If you are in a structure aiming to a brightly light area you won't have a sight picture worth a damn. Utterly useless.

This exact situation arose for a friend who had one mounted on his SAW... great on the rooftop, once back inside aiming out a mouse-hole, no reticle.

Personally, I have experienced this in MOUT scenarios as well.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I literally got one of each.

It's kind of a tough row to hoe, but that's the way to figure out exactly what you're after.

posted Hide Post
I've owned several (I obviously have a learning disability).

While the newer RX30/34 is markedly better than the previous versions, they still wash out; Particularly indoors.

The dots or triangle are so huge as to make them close-range use only for the most part.

I currently have one on a seldom-used FAL, and the other on a AR pistol. The dots are practically invisible indoors, most of the time.

Sold the triangle Reflex several years ago. The buyer expressed considerable buyers remorse almost immediately.

Posts: 313 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Who, if anyone, makes a smaller triangle reticle?

posted Hide Post
Just for Comparison the Aimpoint dots are either 2 or 4 MOA and the EOTECH center dot is 1 moa, 12 MOA is freaking huge. As mentioned above, look at the trij RMRs or even their MRO.

IF you wanted triangular but more useable, I haven't seen one. Trij has some chevrons in their ACOGs, but they are all magnified and probably not what you want.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before dismissing the amber reticle, check if you have deficient color perception. For those who are red-green deficient (the most common kind) the amber reticle may be the best option.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF you wanted triangular but more useable, I haven't seen one. Trij has some chevrons in their ACOGs, but they are all magnified and probably not what you want.

I keep hoping. The Trijicon chevron and the 'trapezoidal' front sight on Steyr polymer pistols really seem to work well for me. The red dots I have, use and like tend to run about 1 or 2 MOA. I'd be willing to put up with a slightly larger (3 or 4 MOA, perhaps?) triangle just to be able to use the top of the triangle as an aiming point. Like you, though, I haven't seen any smaller triangles and so far none of the companies whose sights I've looked at have adopted some form of chevron (which would also make me very happy).

posted Hide Post
The Leupold Deltapoint Pro has a 7.5 MOA triangle which would be just fine for a pistol IMO, again using the tip for precision shots. 7.5 MOA is still only covering 1.9" at 25yds.

For a rifle, I like 2-4 MOA dots.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post