SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Remington 550-1 a quick look at a fine .22 rifle"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Remington 550-1 a quick look at a fine .22 rifle" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://youtu.be/MXh6L6ZLNAY?t=3

Now, that's entertainment!

Smile

Alright.

I'm convinced. I'm getting mine out of the gun room and some of those .22 shorts I found recently.

Some issues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWcPOUOBNo

The safety on mine needs repair.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Remington rifles had a look all their own back in the day...that is a classic.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I love mine.
Not much better than a tube fed .22

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
excellent rifles,
I have 2,

one was my Dad's uncle, sometime in the distant past the receiver was basically swiss cheesed on one side due to a variety of mounts,

I found a weaver side mount that fit, and put a cheap scope on it,

later found a weaver OEG type sight that fit the side mount,, and while it looks funky, it works

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Good one,I bought a brand new one when I was in high school in the late 1950's,I took the deflector shield off mine just like the one pictured.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington 512. if I ever see one of those again, I'll definitely grab it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My dads got one that shoots but is gunned up. I'm going to detail strip it and reassemble it if it's not too difficult.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see there is some love for these guns. I still have one that was my Dad's and it was the first gun he taught my brothers and I to shoot with. They're not a fancy gun by any means but they are straight shooting and reliable. It is now my wife's favorite gun to shoot.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
My dads got one that shoots but is gunned up. I'm going to detail strip it and reassemble it if it's not too difficult.

Please watch the videos first.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

pulling the bolt is fairly straight forward,

may want to take it out the stock first and hose it out with some good cleaner,, lube and try

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 550-1 was the first firearm I ever shot around the age of 7 or so and I still have it to this day 35+ years later. Great rifle that can take a beating. I abused the heck out of that poor thing as a teen and it still shoots great.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of old Remington parts. I bought out a gunsmith and he had hoarded a bunch of stuff. If you take a picture of anything you need I might have it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Dad has a 552 Speedmaster that I love. Killed many a squirrel and more than one deer with it. But my brother laid claim to it long ago, so someday I'm going to buy myself one.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post