SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My retro AR build.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My retro AR build. Login/Join 
posted
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

My Nodak copy slabside lower finally came in. So on she went and I think it looks good. I even found an early charging handle. A little triangular shaped bugger. I can see why they went to the bigger charging handle. All in all a fun rifle.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. If Chancellor Cuomo hadn't shut me down (FUAC), I'd been looking at building one similar.

What Barrel did you use? How do you like the Nodak Spud lower?

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That looks great!

Also curious about what barrel you used.

I got impatient and bought a 1-9 chrome-moly uncoated from alpha shooting sports. It has shown good accuracy. I kinda regret not waiting to snag a 1-7 chromed barrel from McKay but it was back during the panic and barrels were harder to come by.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Brownells has the 1:12 chrome lined barrels.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have a Del-Ton government profile barrel w/1:9 twist. The Nodak lower is beautiful. Very tight. The only issue I am having is having the big pin up front stay put. Slides in and out and is not "sticking in there". I ordered there repro pin with the ball bearing like the OG. I will find out, probably a mistake on my part.

Details:
Nodak repro "slabside" lower.
Colt/ Martin-Marietta upper.
Original 3 prong flash hider.
Original stock w/ rubber butt plate, triangular handguards, and no finger groove pistol grip.
Original small triangle shaped charging handle (after shooting it a couple times I can see why the went to the bigger T shaped charging handle).
Fulton Armory repro chromed no forward assist grooves bolt carrier.
Del-Ton government profile barrel (I do have an original barrel however, this Del-Ton shoots so darn good I don't feel like taking it off and it is a correct profile I think).

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Great looking build. Of all the iterations we've seen in ARs, the original still stands the test of time for me. They look great, are nice an light and easy hit the sized targets they were intended for even with my old eyes between 0 and 200 yards.

Good luck with it,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Thank you. I have a Del-Ton government profile barrel w/1:9 twist. The Nodak lower is beautiful. Very tight. The only issue I am having is having the big pin up front stay put. Slides in and out and is not "sticking in there". I ordered there repro pin with the ball bearing like the OG. I will find out, probably a mistake on my part.

Details:
Nodak repro "slabside" lower.
Colt/ Martin-Marietta upper.
Original 3 prong flash hider.
Original stock w/ rubber butt plate, triangular handguards, and no finger groove pistol grip.
Original small triangle shaped charging handle (after shooting it a couple times I can see why the went to the bigger T shaped charging handle).
Fulton Armory repro chromed no forward assist grooves bolt carrier.
Del-Ton government profile barrel (I do have an original barrel however, this Del-Ton shoots so darn good I don't feel like taking it off and it is a correct profile I think).

thanks for sharing that. there is just something cool about the classics.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1/12 barrels serve no use now unless you desire a historically accurate type which is pretty much useless unless you intend to fire only M193.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun.

How long did you wait for that lower?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
1/12 barrels serve no use now unless you desire a historically accurate type which is pretty much useless unless you intend to fire only M193.

I would wager that ballpark estimate of 70+% of AR-15 owners never fire anything other than 55gr ammo.

Most of mine are 1-7 or 1-8. 1-12 works fine for most and is actually preferable for many varmint bullets in the 50gr range.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waited just shy of 7 months. I was thinking of a 1:12 barrel just to try the 52 grain Sierra match or varmiter bullets. Those little pills seem to be doing well at the CMP matches.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love a retro AR!

Keep it simple stupid rifle.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
M193 out of a 20" 1:12 barrel is a fine antipersonnel round. With the 20" barrel, you're getting the full stated 3200 fps out of the round, and the slower twist rate as compared to the very common 1:7 means a less stabilized projectile, which can enhance wounding capability.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
There are many thousands of 1 in 12 bolt action 223 out there used by varmint hunters every year firing many thousands of rounds. Not even getting all the M193 shot at ranges every year. How can you say a 1 in 12 serve no use now is beyond me.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post