SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Precision Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Precision Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted
So I've had mine for about a month now, ran about maybe 100 rounds through it, and still haven't really sighted it in due to ammo price. Anyone else have one and recommend factory loads, and anything else with it? I know its a gen 2 as it came with the muzzle break

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You shot a hundred times and not sighted it in,should take a half dozen round to sight dead on .
But being a rugar it suppose its a hit and miss

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you do with those 100 rounds if not sighted in? What caliber?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
mine (308) really likes Federal 150gr. (I think, ill check when I get home) the cheap stuff, and actually groups better with it than expensive Hornady Match ammo.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have one in 6.5CM. What caliber is yours? That has a lot to do with our recommendations.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
308. I never exactly sat to sight it in, mainly as I have no where nearby that has a proper 100 yd range to check them against.

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Does not compute.

Cost of ammo is a problem but you can afford to burn 100 rounds doing..... what exactly?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what I would do with an unzeroed rifle.

There are tons of free and paid ballistic apps out there that would let you at least get close by using an offset zero at 25-33-55 yards or whatever worked.

As for ammo.

Federal Gold Medal Match is recognized as being a good load that works well and accurately in a wide variety of different 308 rifles.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
You can get Prvi for about .50 a round. PSA runs deals on 188gr FGMM for less than 1.00.
Im still trying to figure out how you shot 100 rounds with an unsighted rifle.

While the RPR is great rifle for what it is. Sounds lie you would have been better served with Savage 10FP and a couple cases of ammo.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM). A member has a great deal on a case of 168 gr. the classifieds. Prime & Hornady are also good...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and invest in a reloading setup.
You can get a kit from Hornady for around $300. It's not as difficult as it may seem to the lay person. I've shot over 1000 rounds of 6.5 Creemoor this summer. If I had to purchase factory ammo that would've been around $1,300. I buy powder and components in bulk and I spent just under $500 and I used the same components Hornady does. Besides the cost savings you can tune your ammunition to your rifle and to me it's another hobby I enjoy.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I guess ya'll are a bit more into competing with your rifles than me, as I just enjoy shooting/ getting the feel of the rifle. And for some reason in my area the price of 308 ammo doubled after I bought that first 100 rounds at about 15 for some remmington, so when I went to get more, it was about 27 for the cheapest.

Also, what are ya'lls set ups? I honestly just threw a leapold scope on it, so its bare bones after that. Any particular scopes, bipods, anything else? For all I know the zero is off because I only shot to 25.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I guess ya'll are a bit more into competing with your rifles than me, as I just enjoy shooting/ getting the feel of the rifle. And for some reason in my area the price of 308 ammo doubled after I bought that first 100 rounds at about 15 for some remmington, so when I went to get more, it was about 27 for the cheapest.

Also, what are ya'lls set ups? I honestly just threw a leapold scope on it, so its bare bones after that. Any particular scopes, bipods, anything else? For all I know the zero is off because I only shot to 25.

I dont compete but shooting 100 rounds of 308 through and RPR at 25 yards is like driving a Ferrari at 25mph on the autobahn.

sgammo.com buy a case of ammo, kick it out to at least 100 yards, dial it in.

At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM). A member has a great deal on a case of 168 gr. the classifieds. Prime & Hornady are also good...
168 gr. FGMM is my baseline load for my .308. If you're patient, you can find some good sales at around $0.80 per round. Stock up when you do.

I have also found that Federal Fusion 165 gr. is a respectable surrogate for FGMM that I can often find cheaper.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Setting aside the rather unorthodox practice of firing 100 rounds through a rifle who's scope isn't properly sighted in, I guess as long as a scope was mounted on the rifle, POI is POI.

You'd at least be able to get some sense for whether a particular rifle (stock, action, barrel) is capable of repeatedly putting small holes in the same general place on a piece of paper.

Maybe I'm missing something???

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I honestly cant get a god zero with it. I'm not sure if I'm jerking the rifle since I'm shooting unspported, or if I dont have the scope sighted in right, or what. Like 7 outta 10 will hit to the upper left about 3 inches up and 1 inch left. Then 1 will be like down bottom right. It's more its not consistent. So at 100 rounds I have no respectable zero for all adjustments its still in the upper left.

E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I honestly cant get a god zero with it. I'm not sure if I'm jerking the rifle since I'm shooting unspported, or if I dont have the scope sighted in right, or what. Like 7 outta 10 will hit to the upper left about 3 inches up and 1 inch left. Then 1 will be like down bottom right. It's more its not consistent. So at 100 rounds I have no respectable zero for all adjustments its still in the upper left.

You need to get to a range with a proper bench and set that rifle up on bags. Otherwise you have no "consistency" in knowing whether the scope is moving, broken, or if you're just a really shitty marksman. Try to take that last one out of the equation. Smile

Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
quote:

You need to get to a range with a proper bench and set that rifle up on bags. Otherwise you have no "consistency" in knowing whether the scope is moving, broken, or if you're just a really shitty marksman. Try to take that last one out of the equation. Smile

Good luck!

I sorta think its the last one really

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Where do you live in N Georgia? There are free WMA ranges all over N. Georgia... Chestnut Mountain WMA, Dawson Forest WMA, Sumac WMA, Wilson Shoals WMA, Clybel WMA, Clarks Hill WMA.

And then plenty of private ranges where you shoot all day for under $20.

Did you win the rifle in a raffle or something? It's not an inexpensive gun...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Sell it and buy a iron sighted AR.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Buys a $1200 rifle, puts a $300+ scope on it, then burns $75 worth of rounds making smoke and noise... but can't afford to sight it in?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post