SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22, bolt action vs semi-auto
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22, bolt action vs semi-auto Login/Join 
posted
Is there any need for a bolt action 10/22 ?

Is it more accurate?
More fun for the bolt action guys?

I own a 10/22, but never thought I needed one with a bolt action. What am I missing?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bolt action "should" be more accurate. BUT, if I was going in that direction, i'd rather have a CZ bolt action that should be more inherently accurate than anything Ruger produces. A bolt action would be a little more reliable if you're using it for hunting purposes, or let me rephrase that, isn't as dependant on cleaning. Ruger produces good, reliable guns, but super accurate they aren't.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Is there any need for a bolt action 10/22?

I'm not aware of anyone converting the semi-auto 10/22 into a bolt action.

Ruger's 10/22 is built for high reliability, not exceptional accuracy. If you want to stay with the 10/22-ish platform and improve accuracy, look to companies such as Kidd, Volquartsen, Clark Custom, Tacsol. The best models of these accurized platforms get close to the accuracy limits of a semi-auto 22lr.

The best bolt action 22lr rifles will be more accurate than the best semi-auto rifles, especially at longer distances. Ruger's 22lr stock bolt action rifles are probably more accurate than their stock 10/22 rifles. However, there are bolt action 22lr manufacturers that are known for higher accuracy than Ruger. CZ is one option, and at reasonable prices. True world-class accuracy will come from the expensive likes of Anschutz, Walther, FWB. Or a custom conversion of a Remington 40-X.

Is a highly accurate bolt action rifle more fun than a semi-auto?
That depends on the person and their shooting preferences. If one prefers to dump boatloads of rounds at close range -- then no. If one prefers to precisely place rounds on small targets at longer distances -- then yes.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
The Volquarsten Summit is a straight pull bolt action built on a 10/22 receiver and takes all 10/22 mags. Fantastic rifle.

https://volquartsen.com/depart...ts/1282-summit-rifle

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Bolt action is more accurate.
Threaded barrel and suppressor is the “quietest” 22 that is available. The bolt action enables subsonic ammo that will not cycle in a semi auto.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I don't know about a bolt action 10/22, but the Ruger American Rimfire is bolt action and uses 10/22 magazines. I have both a 10/22 and the RAR and appreciate the magazine cross compatibility and the benefit of using a suppressor in a bolt action. I wouldn't retrofit a 10/22 to bolt action when Ruger has an out of the box solution but I'm not going to yuck your yum.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger American Rimfire is the rifle I'm referring too.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If you're comparing Ruger to Ruger, then I'm not confident you'll see much difference in accuracy.

Bolt actions do have a certain je ne sais quoi, and the CZs mentioned earlier are certainly no exception. They are a very good choice.

For chasing the accuracy dragon though, you can spend just about as much as you can imagine. Only a teeny fraction of folks can take advantage of the upper limit however.

Just my opinion and worth what you payed for it.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bolt action 10/22? do you mean a 77/22??? if so, yes, they are great guns.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people that seek a hyper accurate rifle based on the ruger ( precision rim fire American rim fire or 10/22)
End up with an extensive tinker and parts replacement effort to get them there, or buy a tricked out aftermarket gun like the kidd
As is off the production line I doubt there is a significant difference between them.
Some have built some seriously accurate 10/22’s, but by the time you get them there ( I do understand some enjoy them build and tinker process and that is certainly fine) a more accurate rifle can be bought off the shelf for less

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Bolt action 10/22? do you mean a 77/22??? if so, yes, they are great guns.

No, the Ruger American Rimfire
Takes a 10/22 mag.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage bolt action in .22lr. With my suppressor on it and subsonic ammo, it's Hollywood quiet. All that can be heard is the click of the firing pin hitting the brass case, and then the impact of the bullet hitting the backstop, in my case dirt. It's the least expensive gun I own, but possibly also the most fun.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, the Ruger American Rimfire
Takes a 10/22 mag.

As does the 77/22.*
Interesting how it seems that just as any tissue paper for wiping one’s nose became a Kleenex, is now any rifle that takes a 10/22 magazine a 10/22 rifle? I have always thought of the 10/22 as a semiautomatic rifle and therefore there couldn’t be a bolt action 10/22 any more than there could be a bolt action M14 or M1 Garand. But I’m always willing to learn new things.

For a long time I was content with the precision of this 77/22, but ultimately decided to upgrade the barrel. I still haven’t gotten around to rigorously testing it with different ammunition though.

* (The magazines supplied with the 77/22 were slightly different from original 10/22 mags because they had flat bottoms rather than being slightly curved. It was here that I learned that I could use 10/22 mags in my 77/22.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAMN!! That's one hell of a scope on a 22. I'm jealous to the max!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
That's one hell of a scope on a 22.

An old Leupold 6.5-20× Extended Focus Range that will focus to 10 yards. When Leupold would still do such things, I had a Tactical Milling Reticle and uncapped windage and elevation adjustment knobs installed. With the heightened interest in longer range shooting with rimfire rifles these days, it seems odd that Leupold doesn’t offer something with features that are more common on precision rifle shooting sights.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several 10/22 and while they are a hoot to shoot, I much prefer my Marlin and CZ bolt action 22LRs.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Ruger American Rimfire is the rifle I'm referring too.

The 10/22 exhibits reasonable accuracy. But semi-autos require a bit a slop in the chamber to allow consistent cycling -- especially for shooters who feel a 22lr rifle should be cleaned once per millennium, whether it needs it or not. The 10/22's chamber has enough slop that many owners state that it shoots CCI Mini-Mags accurately. Guns that shoot Mini-Mags well are chambered such that using match grade ammo may not improve accuracy.

I've never shot a Ruger American Rimfire. There a few reviews on the rifles accuracy -- google "Ruger American Rimfire accuracy". The American Rimfire uses a hammer forged barrel; a statement that immediately places a question on accuracy. I suspect the American should offer slightly greater accuracy than the 10/22, but it depends on the individual barrels and your willingness to experiment with enough ammo types.

Also note that given comparable barrels, chambers, and ammo, a bolt action is easier to shoot accurately than a semi-auto. Due to both the action and the nut behind the butt, more WTF flyers will occur with a semi-auto.

A rifle with a tight chamber and a good barrel allows match grade ammo to strut its stuff. Match grade ammo has more consistent bullets and more consistent muzzle velocity. Combined, this provides greater accuracy at distance -- say, 100 yards and beyond. If the gun owner practices with generously-sized targets at close distances (say, no more than 25 yards), then the accuracy provided by a bolt action with a quality barrel and match grade ammo will be wasted.

It really boils down to what you shoot and your desired accuracy.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As holdem notes, a bolt (Ruger 77/22 or American), lever (Ruger 96/22) or straight-pull (Volquartsen Summit) offers real advantages suppressed v. a semi-auto. They also offer the use of 10/22 magazines and, depending on the platform, the numerous 10/22 accessories that are available.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fritz:
The 10/22 exhibits reasonable accuracy. But semi-autos require a bit a slop in the chamber to allow consistent cycling -- especially for shooters who feel a 22lr rifle should be cleaned once per millennium, whether it needs it or not. The 10/22's chamber has enough slop that many owners state that it shoots CCI Mini-Mags accurately. Guns that shoot Mini-Mags well are chambered such that using match grade ammo may not improve accuracy.[/b]
I’ve got several 10/22’s set-up in different configurations and was about to order a binary trigger for this puppy.

However, today’s political climate has given me pause.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's not a Ruger, but I used to have a 10/22 I built on a TacSol receiver with a Kidd barrel.

It was not noticeably less accurate than my Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel.

With Wolf Match Extra, both would reliably shoot one-big-hole groups at 50 yards and ~1.25" groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post