SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    30-30 optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 optic Login/Join 
Picture of Airpusher
posted
I hunt with this 80's model Marlin, but it is time to upgrade the scope from the Tasco World Class with the "see thru rings." Kinda retro, I know. Looking to put a Leupold scope on it. My budget dictates either a VX 1 or VX 2, in 3-9x40. I will also need a scope mount (a real one) but they are either a one piece or two piece. My questions are, what is the difference between the two scope models, and the difference in the scope mounts? I am looking for real opinions, not just the googled results.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume this is a 336 lever gun. Based on that, even with Leverevolution ammo, it is only a 250yd gun at best. I would keep it light and go with a FXII 2.5X or maybe a 4X. The Leupold 1-4 × 20 is also a possibilty.

I only have a Skinner Ghost ring on mine.

For light weight, you could go with weaver bases and a set of quad lock rings. (Also pretty inexpensive)

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
It is a lever gun. My eyes, along with the rest of me, are getting a little older. I was looking for the large objective for a clearer picture. You are right, I probably won't shoot any farther than 125 yards or so.

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you aren't planning to use the rifle scope as a spotting scope, then I would still wouldn't go over 4X. (Though, leupold does make a nice 6X fixed scope) If you tend to do your hunting stalking, you'll appreciate a lighter set-up. The 2.5X, rings, and bases won't weight more than 11oz altogether.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a Marlin 45/70. I put a weaver base and used quad lock rings. Put a cheaper 3x9x40 tasco scope. I shoot Leverevolution 325's and for my use, figure it to be a 125 yard gun. It gets shot, a couple times a year for fun and to make sure the scope it on for deer season.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I use a compact, fixed 4 power scope on my 45-70. It is perfect for a lever gun. Mine is a Burris.

Burris doesn't make anything quite like it now, but this one is comparable, being a low power variable in a compact tube:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sc...-riflescope-2-7x35mm

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like my FXII IER 2.5X. Easy to shoot with both eyes open.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If fixed, a Weaver Classic K4. If variable, a Weaver V3. I own and like both. Glass quality is probably better than the lower end Leupolds.

Posts: 92 | Location: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: August 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I put a Leupold Scout Scope on my 336 and really like it. As a matter of fact I think it allowed me to shoot a nice little 8 point that was chasing a doe through light timber that I otherwise probably wouldn't have been able to find in a higher power scope quickly enough. If the scout scope idea doesn't appeal to you then a compact 4 power is the way to go.

By the way, I also have ghost ring sights on mine as well as quick disconnect rings on the scout scope. I just think that this combo on a lever 30-30 is a sweet set up.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No comment on your specific query, but a 3-9x40 was plenty sufficient for taking 3 deer from 75-120yds with my Marlin 30-30.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You should start with NikonUser's outstanding primer on optics.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...890078914#4890078914

quote:
I was looking for the large objective for a clearer picture.

The size of the objective has no bearing on a clearer picture. This is governed by other factors. Once again, read NikonUsers thread. You will learn more about optics than you ever thought possible. It is more comprehensive and well written than any article I've read in published form.

The 30-30 is a 200 yard gun, possible 250 using FTX bullets. A 3-9x40 is way more optics than that rifle needs. I have a 30-30 mounted with a 2-7x33. That is a wonderful scope for that caliber, and 7 power is more than you'll ever need for a 30-30. I'd think a new VX2 in 2-7x33 would be a really nice scope for your rifle. Mine is wearing a Redfield Revolution in 2-7x33 and I couldn't be happier with it. I have nicer scopes on other stuff, but I love this little scope on my Marlin.

I have been very happy with the Leopold one piece base for the Marlin (Leupold #: 49987). On a Marlin, you'll want the one piece base to get the front dovetail far enough forward to clear your turrets. You see in the pic of my Marlin that the front base is hanging out in front of the receiver. The one piece base makes it nice and solid, and you give up nothing in the way of making the ejection port smaller like a one piece does on a bolt action rifle.

If you think you'd still like access to your iron sights occasionally, you can use the quick release (Leupold #: 54229).

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You should start with NikonUser's outstanding primer on optics.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...890078914#4890078914

quote:
I was looking for the large objective for a clearer picture.

The size of the objective has no bearing on a clearer picture. This is governed by other factors. Once again, read NikonUsers thread. You will learn more about optics than you ever thought possible. It is more comprehensive and well written than any article I've read in published form.

The 30-30 is a 200 yard gun, possible 250 using FTX bullets. A 3-9x40 is way more optics than that rifle needs. I have a 30-30 mounted with a 2-7x33. That is a wonderful scope for that caliber, and 7 power is more than you'll ever need for a 30-30. I'd think a new VX2 in 2-7x33 would be a really nice scope for your rifle. Mine is wearing a Redfield Revolution in 2-7x33 and I couldn't be happier with it. I have nicer scopes on other stuff, but I love this little scope on my Marlin.

I have been very happy with the Leopold one piece base for the Marlin (Leupold #: 49987). On a Marlin, you'll want the one piece base to get the front dovetail far enough forward to clear your turrets. You see in the pic of my Marlin that the front base is hanging out in front of the receiver. The one piece base makes it nice and solid, and you give up nothing in the way of making the ejection port smaller like a one piece does on a bolt action rifle.

If you think you'd still like access to your iron sights occasionally, you can use the quick release (Leupold #: 54229).

That is an awesome article! I will now rethink my original choices for a rifle scope replacement. That is a lot to think about. I appreciate the time you folks have taken to enlighten me.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 1.5 - 5 Leupold on my 1895 for several years now. I'm pretty pleased with the combo.

I use QR Warne rings on it. It carries so much nicer perfectly balancing in the hand without the scope. It has always shot dead on after mounting and removing the scope numerous times a season.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like Nikon scopes for on the cheap. 2-7 or 3-9 is great.

I had a $150.00 Nikon 3-9x40 on a mini-30 580 series and it worked great with hornady amax steel case.

I have a Leopold vx3 4-12 on my .308 and I could discern no real difference in field conditions as far as clarity and focus.
The range, sure, but not very much.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post