SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finding a Good WWII M1 Carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding a Good WWII M1 Carbine Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I have a Plainfield M1 Carbine but would love to have a WWII version. Do you have any suggestions on where to find them for a reasonable price? I stupidly did not order one from CMP years ago when they were around $600. I've checked armslist but legit ads sell quick and the rest don't answer. Thanks!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reasonable prices are long gone. Those recent Ethiopian imports that were in bad condition sold for $1,000. The only chance of buying one for a good price is if the seller has no understanding of what they are selling.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done alright on GB. I'll look for the "shooter" grade. I can wrench on them, so if they're in some cheesy aftermarket stock, it'll keep the price down. My advice is to find one there, put in the bid you're willing to buy for, and maybe get lucky.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can occasionally find some decent deals in the classifieds sections of milsurp forums, like Gunboards and the CMP Forum.

https://forums.gunboards.com/f...nd-WTT-listing-board

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=88

The prices are still steep compared to what they were years ago, but more reasonable than Gunbroker or gun shows/shops.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank guys. Yes, I know I missed the train on these but it is what it is. What would be a rough value for a 1943 standard products Bavarian import? Knoxville import marked.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Figure $800-1000ish for a basic decent condition arsenal refurbished USGI carbine. (This is online forum WTS ad pricing, not gun store/gun show/Gunbroker pricing.)

Standard Products is less common than Inland, but not one of the rare and extra desirable manufacturers, so that adds a little bit to the value.

Bavarian markings adds a little bit to many collectors, but not for all.

Import markings detract a little bit for some collectors, but not for others.

So around $1000-$1200ish would be about right.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
^Rogue is about right, price wise,

condition,condition, condition being the most important,

how far are you willing to travel to look at some?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

The one I'm looking at it a couple hours away. He wanted $1250. There are just not many out there and I would rather do FTF, where I can personally see condition.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
I purchased an M1 carbine from Royal Tiger Imports. They are the Ethiopian guns mentioned above. I got an excellent to unissued for $1200. The unissued means it was never issued to the Ethiopian Army. The US sent military aide to Ethiopia in the 1950’s and these were guns sent for aide. Most never left the shipping crates. I received an Underwood in excellent t condition. It took a few days to clean and sweat dents from the wood but it looks and shoots excellent. The barrel is clear and shiny with deep grooves. It is stamped 10-43 on the barrel with flaming ordinance bomb. It has gone thru the Underwood arsenal after WWII and updated with a bayonet lug, rear aperture sight, safety, seat, hammer and bolt. The Underwood receiver was subcontracted by Singer Sewing Machine Co so it’s is fairly rare and would sell for more than I paid for it. They have Inlands in good shooting shape for $899 with a 4 or 5% discount this weekend. I ordered 2 on their 10% off fathers days sale a few weeks ago and waiting for them to arrive next week.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: July 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
You can obtain the needed parts to put a post WWII arsenaled carbine back to WWII configuration. You need a flip sight, non bayonet front clamp, and maybe a different safety.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

The one I'm looking at it a couple hours away. He wanted $1250. There are just not many out there and I would rather do FTF, where I can personally see condition.

if you ever find yourself in RVA, let me know, I have a pile of them in stock,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I stumbled upon a nice National Postal Meter re-arsenal in good condition. Typical mix master parts with IBM, Winchester, and Saginaw parts. It is a nice shooter and was bought mostly because my FIL often talked about carrying one while stationed in Korea while doing payroll runs. His eyes were like saucers when I showed it to him.

They can be found but around here most go for 1k and up.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep looking. I don't want to mess with RTI, I have seen enough shady practices to not want to support them even if you the chance to get a rare manufacturer.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on the for sale section of the CMP forum. Several posted there recently.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Keep an eye on the for sale section of the CMP forum. Several posted there recently.

I am but they haven't added me to the forum yet. I'm still awaiting moderator approval. Ugh.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
SIG4EVA,

Dunno where you are in NC, but there is a gun shop in the little town of Wagram, NC called Mid South Guns. (Near Aberdeen).
They have one of the better collections of vintage guns I have seen in one place in a while. Lots of the classics/service rifles of all types.
Old revolvers and semi-autos to brand new. Prices are as good as I have seen anywhere in the year of the 'rona.
They have a gunsmith on staff and the sales people are polite and professional and old school.
Last time I was in there they had a few WWII era M1 Carbines-

Mid South Guns
P.O. Box 840
24461 Main St.
Wagram, NC 28396

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
SIG4EVA,

Dunno where you are in NC, but there is a gun shop in the little town of Wagram, NC called Mid South Guns. (Near Aberdeen).
They have one of the better collections of vintage guns I have seen in one place in a while. Lots of the classics/service rifles of all types.
Old revolvers and semi-autos to brand new. Prices are as good as I have seen anywhere in the year of the 'rona.
They have a gunsmith on staff and the sales people are polite and professional and old school.

Mid South Guns
P.O. Box 840
24461 Main St.
Wagram, NC 28396

Thank you for the heads up. It's about a 2 hour drive for me. I called but they are currently out. He said sometimes they have 15 in stock so I'll check in from time to time. Thanks!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
Btw, here’s a fun website with info re the Bavarians

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
SIG4EVA,

Mid South Guns
P.O. Box 840
24461 Main St.
Wagram, NC 28396

Thank you for the heads up. It's about a 2 hour drive for me. I called but they are currently out. He said sometimes they have 15 in stock so I'll check in from time to time. Thanks!

Glad to help- I always look around for the older stuff in stores. Also, in Wilmington, Jim's Pawn on Oleander Drive usually has some service rifles in stock as well as Pawn USA on Carolina Beach Road. Good luck!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired one of the NEW Inland Mfg M1 Carbines. I have (3) USGI carbines, but rarely take them out (Unless 'Sands of Iwo Jima' is on.). It was just shy of $1000. While it doesn't have the character of a 'War Baby', it seems to be a reasonable alternative. From what I read, the Fulton Armory carbines are supposed to be the best available.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post