SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Relative novice needs help diagnosing a problem with a 716 Gen 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relative novice needs help diagnosing a problem with a 716 Gen 1 Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

I bought a Sig 716 (generation 1) new several years ago. I shot it a couple of times, probably have put a couple hundred rounds through it, cleaned/lubed it in December 2014, then put it in my safe.

Yesterday, for the first time in about 4.5 years, I took it to an outdoor range. Loaded the magazine, pulled the bolt back, pressed the trigger, and *click* nothing happened. I ejected the round, tried another. *click* no fire. Repeated this a few times, Was eventually able to get it to fire a few times, but most rounds did not fire. Examining the unshot manually ejected rounds, the primer showed NO sign the firing pin touched the primer on any of the unfired rounds.

Disassembled the weapon, took the bolt out - still well-lubed everywhere, no sign of rust or anything. The weapon was stored in a well regulated temperature/humidity safe for the duration of its storage.

I suspect a mechanical problem, not an ammo problem. The rounds seem to be completely chambering correctly, but the firing pin doesn't contact the primer. FYI, the ammo was 150 grain Federal soft points, brand new. The firing pin looks good.

I know that the generation 2 version of the 716 has a revised bolt. Could this be related to the issue I am having?

What should I do next to solve this issue? I'm pretty much at the limit of my knowledge at this point.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Maybe call SIG and get them to update your 716 while they still have parts in stock?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Was the bolt fully in battery when you tried to fire?

I had something similar happen one range trip with my SCAR 17 and the culprit was fouling in the receiver - FN had a batch of improperly heat treated magazines and part of a feed lip broke and got onto the bolt face, causing several failures to fire / no primer hits, with several good firing sequences in between.

Took it home and actually found 2-pieces floating around, the damaged magazine and a second magazine about ready to fail. FN replaced all the affected magazines I had (3 in total).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Maybe call SIG and get them to update your 716 while they still have parts in stock?

Is the 716 getting discontinued?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
What sort of lubricant did you use in it back when you put it away several years ago? How much lube was used?

Did you clean it/re-lube it prior to firing it recently?

I'm wondering if it's old lube that possibly became gummed up inside the bolt and was inhibiting the firing pin from coming fully forward to strike the primer.

Does the hammer spring look intact and have good spring tension?

I recommend thoroughly cleaning it, with emphasis placed on the firing pin and the firing pin channel inside the bolt. Re-lube and try some different ammo before contacting SIG. If the same issue persists, then give SIG's customer service a call.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have replied so far. To answer some questions...

1) The bolt is/was fully in battery. I confirmed this by having a friend, who is far more knowledgeable than I, confirm this.

2) On the bolt carrier outside, a light coat of slide glide was used. On other parts, Break Free was used.

My knowledgeable friend, who was at the range with me and looked at it, also feels it is a mechanical problem of some kind - but it was a range event so we did not have time to look closer at it to diagnose it fully - Hence my asking here.

posted Hide Post
Take out the carrier, push the bolt into the carrier (like it would be when it’s locked into the barrel extension), and push the rear of the firing pin. Does the tip of the firing pin protrude through the bolt face? Does the firing pin slide easily inside the bolt and carrier?

Stupid question, but when you last reassembled the carrier, did you put split pin in front of the collar instead of behind it?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Take out the carrier, push the bolt into the carrier (like it would be when it’s locked into the barrel extension), and push the rear of the firing pin. Does the tip of the firing pin protrude through the bolt face? Does the firing pin slide easily inside the bolt and carrier?

Stupid question, but when you last reassembled the carrier, did you put split pin in front of the collar instead of behind it?

I was thinking the same thing.

Another thing to check is condition of the firing pin. If the tip of the firing pin is broken, that could cause an issue. A firing pin protrusion gauge could be useful.

Also, to the OP, did you disassemble and reassemble the fire control group?

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

Is the 716 getting discontinued?

I have not heard that it’s being discontinued, but look at SIG’s history in recent years. Slower sellers disappear from their lineup eventually.

Good luck, hope it’s a simple fix. They are sweet rifles.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post