SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Some questions for the lever action rifle shooters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions for the lever action rifle shooters Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Well, I hope Santa does not have a problem coming down my chimney with a Miroku -1892 -357 in one hand and a pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30 in the other."

If Santa finds you an 1892 chambered in .30-30 he is a magic old elf, indeed.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I still love my Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. Short, handy and can pack a wallop. .45-70 has got a lot of versatility if you handload.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Well, I hope Santa does not have a problem coming down my chimney with a Miroku -1892 -357 in one hand and a pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30 in the other.
My lever action craving will then be satisfied.

He will with the pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30. The 1892 was only chambered for pistol caliber rounds (.44-40 and .38-40 initially). It took the 1894's improved and stronger mechanism to handle the power of the Smokeless .30-30.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one with the itch. I’ve been doing modern firearms for a while but always wanted some lever guns. Unfortunately I’m going to have to get a ‘66, a ‘73, and a ‘92. You know, because.

Rolan, I really want one of the new Winchester ‘66s. Can they handle .38 +p loads? Wouldn’t do many, but always curious.

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I also have a Winchester 94 Buffalo Bill .30-30 with the 26" octagon barrel. My father purchased it back in the mid-60s. It is in pristine condition and has never been fired but it has very little collector value. Seems that they mass produced the hell out of them.
And I do believe that there are better editions of the Winchester 94s out there to be had.

My next purchase will be a Original Henry Rifle model in .44-40 made by Henry Repeating Arms. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nosigforyou:
Rolan, I really want one of the new Winchester ‘66s. Can they handle .38 +p loads? Wouldn’t do many, but always curious.

Nosigforyou,
I'm not really sure. I haven't seen one in "the wild" yet. I CAN tell you that they are a lot more difficult to take down than an 1873. The side plates are dovetailed into the frame, whereas the 1873 has removable side plates.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like my Marlin 336ss, but wouldn't consider it for HD unless I lived out in the middle of the woods. I can say for certain my Mrs. wouldn't like the recoil, and it's not much fun beyond the first 20 rounds or so at the range.

I remain on the hunt for an 1894 in 357mag. :/

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A few issues with a 30/30 for home defense...

-They are loud like a high powered rifle and recoil is definitely more than a pistol caliber.
-Capacity isn't great (usually 6 or 7.)
-Big one for me for all leverguns: Needing to manually lower the hammer when the threat is over while your adrenaline is pumping.

I am sure the last one could be overcome with training, but it requires some dexterity and the hammer has been known to slip from the grasp of the thumb and discharge. It happened to me when I was a boy. I was practicing letting the hammer down under supervision of my Dad, in order for me to use it deer hunting. The gun was pointed in a safe direction, etc. Perhaps it kind of scarred me from really wanting to fool with lever guns a whole lot. Some newer models may have hammer blocking safeties that I'm not aware of that can prevent this.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t have extensive experience with the model 94 in 30-30, but the ones I have fired had some of the most unpleasant recoil I’ve experienced.

I've fired a bunch of different calibers and the 30-30 is definitely not the worst I've ever fired. I would place the No.5 jungle carbine at the top of my list along with the .444Marlin or 45-70 and a .458 Ruger that knocked the ear protectors off my head. IMHO.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a model 1894 in 44 Mag. I keep a few rounds, and it is almost as close as my pistol. From the forum members who have shot it, and seen what it does to blocks of clay, I have no problem with it being my home defense gun. It makes thumb size holes going in and thigh size holes coming out.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t have extensive experience with the model 94 in 30-30, but the ones I have fired had some of the most unpleasant recoil I’ve experienced.

I've fired a bunch of different calibers and the 30-30 is definitely not the worst I've ever fired. I would place the No.5 jungle carbine at the top of my list along with the .444Marlin or 45-70 and a .458 Ruger that knocked the ear protectors off my head. IMHO.

I have no doubt, but I’m not going to fire those cartridges in a lightweight rifle or carbine to find out. Wink

My comment was to address the original question, not to introduce new topics to the thread. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I just got a new Henry big boy in 44mag. It will also shoot 44 special..it is a beautiful gun brass receiver. It came with a cantalever style rail to mount the scope

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
A few issues with a 30/30 for home defense...

It happened to me when I was a boy. I was practicing letting the hammer down under supervision of my Dad, in order for me to use it deer hunting. The gun was pointed in a safe direction, etc. Perhaps it kind of scarred me from really wanting to fool with lever guns a whole lot. Some newer models may have hammer blocking safeties that I'm not aware of that can prevent this.

I did that once, with a .45/70, strolling through the woods thumbing the hammer back and lowering it. Yes, stupid, I know...

That was a mistake I did not need to make TWICE, shooting a .45/70 one handed. Eek

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some newer models may have hammer blocking safeties that I'm not aware of that can prevent this.

Many revile the safety on modern 336's to the point that they make replacements for the safety that make it function like a classic, but it does block the firing pin making thumbing the hammer down safer.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
Some newer models may have hammer blocking safeties that I'm not aware of that can prevent this.

Many revile the safety on modern 336's to the point that they make replacements for the safety that make it function like a classic, but it does block the firing pin making thumbing the hammer down safer.

Yeah I'm kind of a paradox... I don't like lowering the hammer but I also don't want a safety on a lever gun. Best compromise is probably one of those hammer extensions that sticks out to the side and gives a better gripping surface.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I agree as well, but it doesn't bother me to the the point of replacing it. Smile