SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Some questions for the lever action rifle shooters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions for the lever action rifle shooters Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Well, I hope Santa does not have a problem coming down my chimney with a Miroku -1892 -357 in one hand and a pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30 in the other."

If Santa finds you an 1892 chambered in .30-30 he is a magic old elf, indeed.

Posts: 21090 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I still love my Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. Short, handy and can pack a wallop. .45-70 has got a lot of versatility if you handload.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 9853 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Well, I hope Santa does not have a problem coming down my chimney with a Miroku -1892 -357 in one hand and a pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30 in the other.
My lever action craving will then be satisfied.

He will with the pre-64 Winchester 1892 -30/30. The 1892 was only chambered for pistol caliber rounds (.44-40 and .38-40 initially). It took the 1894's improved and stronger mechanism to handle the power of the Smokeless .30-30.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21818 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one with the itch. I’ve been doing modern firearms for a while but always wanted some lever guns. Unfortunately I’m going to have to get a ‘66, a ‘73, and a ‘92. You know, because.

Rolan, I really want one of the new Winchester ‘66s. Can they handle .38 +p loads? Wouldn’t do many, but always curious.

Guns don't hurt people. People hurt people. -Sam Axe

Posts: 213 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I also have a Winchester 94 Buffalo Bill .30-30 with the 26" octagon barrel. My father purchased it back in the mid-60s. It is in pristine condition and has never been fired but it has very little collector value. Seems that they mass produced the hell out of them.
And I do believe that there are better editions of the Winchester 94s out there to be had.

My next purchase will be a Original Henry Rifle model in .44-40 made by Henry Repeating Arms. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 267 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nosigforyou:
Rolan, I really want one of the new Winchester ‘66s. Can they handle .38 +p loads? Wouldn’t do many, but always curious.

Nosigforyou,
I'm not really sure. I haven't seen one in "the wild" yet. I CAN tell you that they are a lot more difficult to take down than an 1873. The side plates are dovetailed into the frame, whereas the 1873 has removable side plates.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21818 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post