SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Put the finishing touch on my build tonight!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put the finishing touch on my build tonight! Login/Join 
posted
Skip to the bottom for the pics if you want.

It all started earlier this year when a LGS put Aero Precision lowers on sale for $49 with a free hour of range time.

I had been wanting to do a build for a while and this was a great opportunity to get started.

I've always liked the MOE look and gray seems to be the least common color so I knew I wanted to go with that. In doing my research, I fell for the dissipator look. Got an upper from PSA w/o BCG/Ch.

Couple gun show trips and deal hunting left me with a CMMG LPK, Toolcraft BCG, BCM gunfighter CH.

Got everything together except the rear sight. I want to run irons until I am proficient. Only got a 20 rounder to get free shipping on a Brownell's order. I wanted one 20 rounder for bench shooting.

The tonight the wife surprised me with an early x-mas present, a DD fixed rear sight.

Going to a LGS this weekend for a headspace check and then right to the range!

I'm super excited and I am already planning what my next build will be. Leaning towards a .300blk pistol.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Looking good Scurvy!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice! My first "build" was the same thing, except with a Troy fixed rear and a Magpul UBR.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it!

I like the KISS of it with just iron sights. I have a carbine with a similar setup.

MagPul MOE handguard and pistol grip, Battlelink Minimalist stock, Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight and standard A2 front sight.

It has a light and sling and that's it. I really like it.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Very nice! My first "build" was the same thing, except with a Troy fixed rear and a Magpul UBR.

One of the reasons I went with the fixed carbine stock was because I hate the rattle of the adjustable ones.

The UBR is the only adjustable stock I have seen that doesn't rattle around but the cost was just too expensive for what I was going for.

I was looking to build a better than base gun for base gun money. My next build will be a little more premium as I get more comfortable with the platform and options.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:

One of the reasons I went with the fixed carbine stock was because I hate the rattle of the adjustable ones.

The UBR is the only adjustable stock I have seen that doesn't rattle around but the cost was just too expensive for what I was going for.

I was looking to build a better than base gun for base gun money. My next build will be a little more premium as I get more comfortable with the platform and options.

The Battlelink Minimalist stock doesn't rattle, I have them on four carbines and none of them rattle. Plus they are lightweight.

They also have a good cheek weld. I have another one waiting on a build also.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I wanted to stick with Magpul MOE this time around because I really dug the gray. I will definitely be branching out on future builds.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Loookin good! That first round from your first build is skeert, but the second round is bad ass!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Does yours have a low profile gas block underneath the handguards and the FSB is fixed?

In any case, Dissipators are neat looking - I like the stainless peaking out too

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Does yours have a low profile gas block underneath the handguards and the FSB is fixed?

In any case, Dissipators are neat looking - I like the stainless peaking out too

Yeah. Midlength gas block under the hand guard and a fixed FSB. Dissy look without any reliability concerns.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

As do I. I acquired a pile of "here, have this random AR part and use it some day" and the first thing to get swapped out for something better was the M4 stock.

quote:

Yeah, it was a bitter pill to swallow. If the fixed stock you went with had been part of the lineup then, it's what I would have done, in all honesty. I may yet, as I leave the stock at the preset I like best anyways, which is basically entry length, which I believe is pretty much what you have.

quote:

I think you accomplished that. Mine has never given me any problems and is a sweet shooter (I also went with the mock dissy with midlength gas). Enjoy your rifle, Scurvy.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I was told by someone who I thought was in the know that my LGS had the head space gauges and had even trained the gun counter staff how to check because they got so many requests.

So I showed up this morning and got and immediate no, we don't have/do that. I asked to talk to the gunsmith on duty, the employee went to the back to talk to him and came out and said he didn't have the gauges either. I asked if they sold them. He took me around the store, asked like 5 different people and the closest they could get was head space gauges for reloading...

I realized there was some kind of wires being crossed so I spelled out exactly what I was wanting and they said, yeah, sorry. I was extraordinarily frustrated that I had wasted most of my morning planning around this trip.

So I called another LGS who I try to avoid at all costs. Talked to the smith and he says, 'yeah I have them'. I asked if I could come in and get it checked and he goes, 'whoa whoa whoa, this isn't something where you can just wait while I do it. If you drop it off today, you might be able to pick it up in 5-6 days when I get to it.' I asked if I could just bring it in in 5-6 days and maybe drop it off in the am, pickup in the pm. He says 'That's not how it works. First in, first out, whenever you drop it off, it goes to the back of the line.

Now I guess I'm ordering the gauges online and doing it myself. I should have just done this in the first place but I was assured this was such a quick/easy/common thing that I could get it someone to check it real quick.

TL;DR Got misled and frustrated trying to get a smith to check my head space so not I'm just going to have to do it myself.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
He quoted you a five day wait to check the headspace? Pardon my language, but that's a bunch of horse shit. That's EXACTLY a "while you wait" kinda thing. It gauges or it doesn't. Wow. Eek

Sorry you went through all that, but in the end, you'll have the tools to check it out yourself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
He quoted you a five day wait to check the headspace? Pardon my language, but that's a bunch of horse shit. That's EXACTLY a "while you wait" kinda thing. It gauges or it doesn't. Wow. Eek

Sorry you went through all that, but in the end, you'll have the tools to check it out yourself.

Basically, if you have work that needs to be done, you just leave the gun there at the back of the line and he gets to it when he gets to it.

posted Hide Post
Took the rifle to TTI in Ashland and the owner headspaced it in about 15 minutes while making small talk with me and a friend of his. She is Good to Go!

Cheaper and much less headache than having to do it myself.

posted Hide Post
Went to the range this afternoon and was having a grand time getting her sights in and getting a feel for her when my trigger pin walked out and locked up the fire control group. I was maybe 40 rounds in at most.

Got home and got the pin back in pretty easily. After some googling though, I realized I had put my hammer spring in wrong which, apparently, is a common error.

Eventually I'll get a chance to get some real trigger time in!!

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to the range this afternoon and was having a grand time getting her sights in and getting a feel for her when my trigger pin walked out and locked up the fire control group. I was maybe 40 rounds in at most.

Got home and got the pin back in pretty easily. After some googling though, I realized I had put my hammer spring in wrong which, apparently, is a common error.

Eventually I'll get a chance to get some real trigger time in!!

I did that once and it went full auto. Fun times!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post