SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Good Hog caliber ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Hog caliber ?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Have taken 21 hogs. 16 with 300 Blackout and 5 with 6.8SPC. It's not so much what you hit them with, it's where you hit them. A double lung shot, and an adult hog will run just like a deer would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS4NzbCfAY

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer brain/spine shots, at or just behind the ear. It's like a light switch. But that requires greater precision, so it's best for closer range shots on relatively stationary hogs.

Vital shots passing through the front shoulder(s) and damaging the heart/lungs are easier since it's a bigger target, especially at range or on the move. But you will ruin some of the best meat in those shoulders (pork butts), especially if you're using a grossly overpowered round like a magnum rifle round, plus the damage and dirt entry in the usable meat area makes butchering a bit tougher than a head shot.

And shoulder shots require a larger caliber than an ear shot would, especially on bigger hogs. .223 can be marginal for shoulder shots on bigger hogs, especially with cheap ammo. Whereas some guys hunt hogs with calibers like .22 Magnum, and just rely on brain/spine shots. (Although I wouldn't do that.)

In my experience, while .223 can be marginal, something just a bit bigger in the .30ish caliber range, with quality ammo, works just fine at most hog hunting distances. If you want to use an AR15, you could go with something like .300, 7.62x39, 6.5, 6.8, or even one of the "thumpers" like .450 or .458. Or any of the usual deer rifle rounds work well on shoulders at any reasonable distances. Just don't go overboard with something like a .300 Win Mag. It's simply not needed, and will ruin more of the meat that necessary when it obliterates both shoulders.

In my usual hunting grounds in Arkansas, which are rolling overgrown timber thickets where the shots are rarely over 100ish yards and frequently much less, 7.62x39, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .30-30 are popular rounds. I usually use an AK or Vz58 in 7.62x39 with Hornady SST or Federal Fusion ammo, but I have some Hornady Critical Defense in .30 Carbine that I want to try out one of these days, and take some hogs with one of my M1 Carbines. (It's equivalent to a .357 Magnum.)

But when I go hunting down in Texas, where it's more open and shots are usually somewhat longer distances, rounds like .308 and its derivatives or .30-06 are more popular.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Of the calibers you listed, I'd prefer the .308 or .30'06. I used a .35 Whelen (just an enlarged .30'06 really) for my last few years of hunting wild pigs in California. This one went over 300 lbs and dropped easily with one shot to the heart. Hope you have a good time. I always did!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I use a 6.8 AR for my hog hunts. I've taken a bunch of hogs with that caliber. Never had one run on me.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
6.8SPC - built two of these just for hogs.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something fun is to stalk hunt along creek bottoms with ARs. Walk a pair of hunters about 25-75 yards off the creek parallel to the bed. When you spook them, they’ll run, but not far. Use soft point ammo and get on them quick. Red dot sights work great for this. Its too late in the year now to keep them to eat as they get nasty once it gets hot.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Which one is semi auto? That would be my choice.

5.56 semi auto is fine with the right bullets.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dropped four 80-100# hogs in 30 seconds a couple years ago with 5.56 from a SCAR 16. Dropped another couple of singletons over the years in the 100# range with 5.56 and 7.62x51.

308 would be better, but 5.56 can drop them too. 62gr OTM worked fine.

I'd certainly step up to a larger round if I wanted to drop some big boys (150+)

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of course you need a new gun.

I have a 270, 300 mag, 223, 224 Wby, and a 45-70. But I think I need a 35 Remington for hogs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
.308, .30-06, or .280. Flip a coin.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
I have used both 223 and 270 with success.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dae Zee:
Have taken 21 hogs. 16 with 300 Blackout and 5 with 6.8SPC. It's not so much what you hit them with, it's where you hit them. A double lung shot, and an adult hog will run just like a deer would.

[FLASH_VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS4NzbCfAY [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Edited to add: Got two more. 175 lb sow and 200 lb boar with my Blackout, both head shots while guarding a peanut field in Santa Rosa County, Florida.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post