SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do or have you ever owned a bolt rifle in 7x75 (aka 7mm Mauser, 75 Rigby) ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do or have you ever owned a bolt rifle in 7x75 (aka 7mm Mauser, 75 Rigby) ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have always been smitten by the 7x57 cartridge. It's damn elegant with a great history. Father of the 7.62x51 and other cartridges.

Do any of you guys own a bolt rifle in this caliber ? Or ever had one ? Picks would be nice, but I really want to hear your experience with the cartridge.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head, I've had a VZ-24 Short Rifle, a Dakota Arms Model 97, and a Ruger 77. The only 7x57 I still have is a single-shot: a Dakota Arms Model 10.

I don't know what makes it "elegant", but it has a good history and is an effective game cartridge. I certainly don't see how it's the "father" of the 7.62x51.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No 7x57, but I do have one of it’s kids (6.5x55). Your description of elegant is kinda appropriate. An old timer still getting it done without a lot of fuss. It is on my radar even though I don’t really need one. Mesabi, that Dakota must be a class act. Color me jealous.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the rifles I regret selling more than any other was an original Clifton Bipod Stocked Model 70 in 7x57. Great Handling rifle, neat bipod. It shot pretty well.

Currently I have in project a Pre-74 M70 in 7x57 to match my 9,3x62.

I've also worked on a couple others for a friend. Put a Octagon 1/4 rib barrel action into a classic stock built by a Master.

All in all it's a nice classic round but in all honesty it's performance has been surpassed by more modern rounds like the 7-08 which is just more accurate and fits in a short action which some prefer. The 7x57 is easier to make feed ultra smoothly.

But also all in all, the 7-08 will NEVER equal the class and history of the 7x57 - 275 Rigby.

Just my opinions......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6630075664

I now own this one but I have used another one in the past. The nostalgia and history is what draws me to a caliber like this. There isn't anything it can really do better than a 7mm-08 but I like having something a bit different.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No bolt gun in 7x57, but I do have. Ruger RSI #1 single shot in that caliber. I swear by both the cartridge and the gun.
Regards to all,
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the sentence layout. I should have typed “have a Ruger # 1...”
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep.
I found a unfired Mauser 7x57 in its box for sale. A gentleman had passed away and his undeserving spawn were getting rid of a long collection. I have been slowly trying to restore the wood stock . It was kept in a closet for nearly a century near a vent. Woods very dried out but actions pristine.

Posts: 29 | Location: tn | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I had a Brazilian Mauser, Model 1908 I believe. I hand loaded for accuracy.
Inherent accuracy of the round and rifle was excellent.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
First rifle I ever purchased at the age of 18 was an Argentinian Crested Mauser model 1912 in 7X57. I still own it, and love it. When I was young and broke I used it to shoot groundhogs at a local ski resort. I have many fond memories of laying on a shooting blanket under the afternoon sun and punching holes in fat groundhogs with the thing.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Back in 1990 I bought a Mauser Model B sporting rifle from our LGS in Chester, England. It had been in an auction, and the gun-store owner had picked it up for me after calling me at home about it. It cost me £120, including the auction commission. Dated 1912 on the large ring, it was in fair condition, but had obviously been carried over the shoulder as the barrel blue was very thin where the holding hand had been- African bush-style. I asked Jim about this, and he toldf me that the rifle had been bought in the famous Army & Navy stores in London in 1913, by a family heading out to Rhodesia to grow tobacco or similar. Even had their name, too. When that great African ''hero', Robert Mugabe, started up his destruction of Rhodesia in the late '80s, the family decided to split up. Half came back to UK, where they still had assets that were not being plundered by Mugabe, and the other half went to neighbouring Tanzania, to start over. The bunch coming back to UK brought the guns with them, in hope of getting a better price.

Fast forward to about seven years ago, one Sunday morning on the range here. My shooting pal, who just happens to be from Tanzania, got me talking about this rifle, and while we were chatting I made a short Youtube movie of him shooting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-al-rcJsrLY

Hey, he said, you know I went to boarding school in Harare with a guy called +++++, eh? I wonder if he knows anything about the family - maybe a relative?

We took photos, and he made contact with his ex-school friend pal.

Well, yes, he replied, I know that rifle well, it belonged to my grandfather, and I learned to shoot with it....

Anyhow, it's very plain, but the checkering is still good, and it shoots quite well for its age - about 2" at 100m with my home loads. Incidnetally, a friend for northwestfirearms.com offered me a few hundred flat-base 175 JSF bullets of the style that was commonplace when it was new. They have a long cylindrical bearing surface, unlike most modern BT designs - those it does NOT care for.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s cool to make full circle in the history of the rifle.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
For OP - it's also known as the .275 Rigby.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have multiple (at least a dozen) milsurp Mausers in 7x57. Big fan of the cartridge.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Indeed, I have a Chileno 91, in 7mm Mauser.
It’s in fantastic shape and unreasonably accurate, what a find!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have shot the caliber at the range and read lots about it especially the exploits of WDM Bell. Don’t currently own one. But would jump on one at the right price if it became available

I got a screaming deal on a couple of 93 Turk mauser actions before they became difficult to find. Considered antique because made before 1899 but re-heat treated by the Turks in the 30s when rechambered to 8mm. One project on infinite delay has been to have one built with a nice piece of wood in 7 Mauser, maybe with a mannlicher stock. Maybe even have it marked 275 Rigby for fun

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Did I mention that I also have a DWM Mauser made for a 2000-gun contract for the Zuid Afrikaanse Republik in 1897?

It was taken off a Boer fighter, one Pieter Wilhelmus Huizsen, on May 10th 1901. His POW number was P32267 and he was then sent to a POW camp.

You can see a pal of mine shooting it on Youtube - tac's guns Boer mauser.

I have the full record of the battle, which involved 2nd New south Wales Mounted Infantry who got their clocks comprehensively cleaned over a two-day skirmish that got their officer and four others killed and 12 others injured.

If anybody here watches Ian McCullum's 'Forgotten Weapons', take a look at his article about the Boer Mausers. My carbine is just THREE digits away from the one he is showing.

Small world, eh?

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
yep, owned a 7x57 mauser, a tack driver and an excellent round

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post