SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red Dot/Holographic sight options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot/Holographic sight options Login/Join 
posted
I have a variety of red dots/holographic sights with and without magnifiers on several AR's but I'm looking for something reliable more along the lines of a crosshair type reticle or something similar with hashmarks vs. the standard dot or circle/dot... any suggestions are helpful. Thank you hive!

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Low power ACOG?

In my experience non-magnified optics are usually dot or circle dot for speed. if you are looking for a true aiming reticle you should look into the magnified optics.

As an example, I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 scope on a range gun. At 1x I use the outer ring as a red dot, then dial it up to 4-6x and use the crosshairs.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Either low powered acog or a 1-however much manification you want thats a first focal plane scope. The mark 6s and 8s I've used when dialed down to 1 with illumination turned up showed as a dot and when just hair higher with illumination down you could start to see the reticle.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got both the Vortex 1X and 3X Spitfire illuminated reticle prism scopes on two of my ARs (both fun/range rifles)...the 1X is just the circle/dot reticle...the 3X is an etched ranging reticle which works well...either illuminated or not...IMHO it's inexpensive for what you get, seems well made and clear...I've had no issues at all...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...ebr-556b-moa-reticle

https://www.brownells.com/opti...scope-prod66523.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like your looking for a low powered variable. I considered one for my SBR but didn’t want the extra weight for what is essentially a 100 yd and in rifle. The next ar I have will be equipped with a 1-6/8 powered scope. I like the vortex strike eagle for a range/ comp rifle, but would want a higher quality piece for a duty/HD type rifle. I’m not saying the Strike Eagle wouldn’t get the job done in that role, but personally need to see more reliability data out of it. Remember it’s a sub $300 optic.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98XJRC:
Sounds to me like your looking for a low powered variable. I considered one for my SBR but didn’t want the extra weight for what is essentially a 100 yd and in rifle. The next ar I have will be equipped with a 1-6/8 powered scope. I like the vortex strike eagle for a range/ comp rifle, but would want a higher quality piece for a duty/HD type rifle. I’m not saying the Strike Eagle wouldn’t get the job done in that role, but personally need to see more reliability data out of it. Remember it’s a sub $300 optic.

There’s at least one out there being used to kill ISIS: Peshmerganor

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe that Bushnell 1-4 AR scope?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people use the bottom of a circle reticle like the EOTech’s for some adjustment, and as I recall, someone (Brownells?) offered an EOTech with extra dots below the circle for aiming point adjustments. The Leupold Prismatic scope (evidently discontinued, but still in some vendors’ stocks, I believe) has an etched reticle with a circle around a central cross and dot. The top or bottom of the circle can be used for some holdoff POA adjustments.

You would probably be happiest, though, with a low power variable with the reticle you’re seeking.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the Holosun 503G-ACSS? I had heard a lot of buzz about it so bought one to try out. I’m surprised to say that I prefer it over my Aimport T2 or EoTech EXPS2. It also works well with my Aimpoint and EoTech magnifiers. I will be buying more of these soon.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Price range?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get the circle at low power and a cross hair with reticle at higher magnification,in a scope where you can also dial in adjustments. Also high definition glass.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-...30mm-riflescope.html

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post