SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 556xi rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 556xi rifle? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What’s the deal with this rifle? Any of you folks have one?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and if you don't have one you don't want one. There is no upside and lots of downside.
All to do with SIG's support of lack thereof.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Yes and if you don't have one you don't want one. There is no upside and lots of downside.
All to do with SIG's support of lack thereof.

Kind of depends on the price.

Sig had good intentions but left it out in the cold.
The Sig 556 Classic is a better gun in my opinion but it too has been abandonded by Sig.

I love my 556 but will likely sell it eventually but used gun prices are quite low currently and not worth my time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My 556XI pistol with a SB brace is a lot of fun to shoot because the muzzle flash and boom associated with each shot is so impressive.

It's also accurate.

The only downside is the holster I want for it requires the entire hide of a bull and I need a jacket that goes down to my knees.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another forgotten firearm in SIG USA history.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The only Xi I've got is the 7.62x39 pistol I got one of the last ones if that means anything. I SBR'd it and have shot several hundred trouble free rounds through it.
I've also bought a couple of the Xi lowers some one on GunBroker was selling because of the ambidextrous controls, cheek riser and it has a nice SiG logo engraved on the magwell; one is on a 556, the other on a 553, and I haven't had a problem with those yet.

While they have been abandon by SiG, there is no shortage of spare parts ... On the other hand, I've got an original 30 year old 551 that still has all its original parts.

Go ahead and ask if I'm worried about them!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"While they have been abandon by SiG, there is no shortage of spare parts"

Really!?? Where do you get them? Unless you want to buy complete guns as spares even the simple stuff is hard to get.

Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I was really interested in getting one of these but decided to wait until any issues had been worked out from the new ones they were releasing. Now I am glad I never did get one due to the fact that SIG has put the rifle out and then just abandoned the platform.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I bought one in 5.56 and I love it. It feels good to handle and to shoot. I did some upgrades/changes first the safety making it larger plus dropped in a different trigger it's little smoother. While the pull is heavy it's not a bench rest rifle it's for combat. I also was able to get a stock attachment converter to reg AR style, the folding stock it came with just didn't work for me. It's a shame Sig doesn't support the rifle but I have found some parts. I would buy one again and will as soon as some of the owners are ready to let go. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is really nothing wrong with the rifle. But if you don't have one, why on earth would you get one. Its a dead end and its not like its some famous HK.
I have quite a few 55x rifles and I fully understand I'm on the hook for even simple parts on the original imported ones, but there is no reason a modern recent US production rifle should have no support from SIG.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
"While they have been abandon by SiG, there is no shortage of spare parts"

Really!?? Where do you get them? Unless you want to buy complete guns as spares even the simple stuff is hard to get.

Gatewood has a been selling spare parts for the for years, and there are already people parting them out ... As I mentioned I bought 2 lower receivers ... I bought them on GunBroker and I also sold my old ones, also on GunBroker.

I'm sure in time Numrich and other parts suppliers will have parts available, but as I also mentioned, I'm not too worried about them wearing out ... It seems like it's only been in recent years that spare parts have been an issue. My 551 is 30+ years old ...

How many AK's, HK's FAL's, UZI's, Grease Guns and numerous other surplus parts kits have been sold to build on new receivers are there?

All I'm saying is there is no reason to not buy one if you like it.

posted Hide Post
I'm guessing we have different criteria for spare parts. The most likely parts to go are the springs. The Sig kit that has most of these is simply not easily available. Gatewood, MGW, SIG, ebay, Numrich, etc. etc. Heck show me a recoil spring readily available and I'll be happier. Sure I can get a lower from several sources but that's simply not a part that will be an issue, same for a few other high value parts that are available. Your comment on AK,FAL etc. makes no sense in this context. 556's were never made in volume and in countries who will surplus so we are never going to see surplus parts kits and new receivers! Ultimately if the price is right we will see guns parted out, but just to be clear there are not very many of them.
My point in direct conflict with your point in all this is if you buy one you should know you are in for battle to find parts if you need them. If the price is right and you buy two with one for a spare have fun, they are nice guns and I like them, but I would never advise someone to sign up for this without understanding the situation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing we have different criteria for spare parts. The most likely parts to go are the springs. The Sig kit that has most of these is simply not easily available. Gatewood, MGW, SIG, ebay, Numrich, etc. etc. Heck show me a recoil spring readily available and I'll be happier.

Sig556 recoils springs:
https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...MS)/cID2/mID4/dID433

Posts: 32 | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
quote:
<SNIP>
Heck show me a recoil spring readily available and I'll be happier.
<SNIP>

Wink Happy now?
(I'm just being an ass ...)