SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What makes a complete AR15 collection?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes a complete AR15 collection? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pretty much, but it depends on where you live.

Being in the South, it's hard to get more than 200-300 yards to shoot, so a dedicated precision rifle doesn't interest me. I've tried it with bolt guns (Rem700 & Tikka T3), but without the range to shoot them in a challenging manner, it gets boring and it would be the same if it was an AR15 rifle.

So my rifles lean more towards 14.5-16" with RDS / LPV, with the required SBR of course with a RDS. I have some other cats-n-dogs, but without the range to shoot them, I concentrate on 0-200m, with a lot more 0-50m. Just the other day I was engage some pests from 5-30m with zero notice with my SBR. I only have an AR pistol lower so I can take the SBR out of state without NFA paperwork, otherwise it has no upper.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being in the South, it's hard to get more than 200-300 yards to shoot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are a number of 1000 yard ranges here. You must live in the deep woods.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Shadow, reading comprehension ain't your strong suit. Wink

posted Hide Post
You fail geography at the Naval Academy?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh shadow....

Sorry OP, shadow likes following me around and drifting threads, trying to do the impossible of getting under my skin (note to shadow - not possible Razz )

Thread drift off, back to the topic at hand.

posted Hide Post
No.. amused at thinness of the RHINNO's skin. LOL Your CUT and memes speak volumes. Need I say more? OK back to the topic at hand.

posted Hide Post
I'm a mission dictates gear sorta person so I'd define the roles 1st for myself and not be so particular about the exact configurations.

example:

#1 HD/CQB: shorter barrel (duh!), 5.56, 6.8 or .300 BLK, "pistol" or SBR. Aimpoint RDS and high quality light, 2pt quick adjust sling.

#2 General purpose, easy to own (legal rifle, nothing perm. attached and don't have to worry about "brace" back and forth):5.56, 16" middy with a low power variable scope or ACOG.

#3 Precision/SDM type. 16"-18" match grade barrel, stock better suited for precision applications, 2-10, 3-15X type glass.

#4 Wild card: could be a hunting rig in a suitable caliber or .22 for cheap plinking/training (with a "value" RDS like from Primary Arms/Vortex), or a themed rifle, or a retro.

Personally; I got to feeling nostalgic (very rare for me!) and built a semi-clone of the 1st carbine I was issued on active duty in 2nd RGR BN. We just called it a "CAR-15", I don't know what exact model it was or if it was a "mutt" because of the models I researched from the era...it wasn't any of them. It had a 14.5" barrel, A2 FH, A2 upper, 2 position stock, no "M4 cut" for the M203. Standard issue the (early 90's) was still the M16A2 and that is what most in the 75th had as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I got to feeling nostalgic (very rare for me!) and built a semi-clone of the 1st carbine I was issued on active duty in 2nd RGR BN. We just called it a "CAR-15", I don't know what exact model it was or if it was a "mutt" because of the models I researched from the era...it wasn't any of them. It had a 14.5" barrel, A2 FH, A2 upper, 2 position stock, no "M4 cut" for the M203. Standard issue the (early 90's) was still the M16A2 and that is what most in the 75th had as well.
Very cool and completely understandable.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The OP is a question I've pondered, if I were to start all over ... Some of us have the benefit of "knowing what we know now" which is the crux of the thread ... I chose these from my current collection.

1. 16" KAC 223
* General Purpose - 500 yards and under. Use with Leupold 4-12x40 as well as irons

2. 11.5"SBR/Jack 300AAC
* Home defence, getting in and out of vehicles, 200 yard max with supers. Trijicon 4x ACOG, adjustable gas-block for Super & SubSonic loads.

3. 24" Jack/JP Enterprise 223
* Precision out to 600 with Leupold 6.5-18x44 (IIRC) kinda overlaps with #4

4. 22" Jack/JP Enterprise 6.5 Creedmoor
* Precision, 600+ Leupold ELR 8.5-25x56

I like the Jack receivers as they seem to be well built, if not over-built, and I like the skull magwell.
#4 is kinda cheating because it's a 308 receiver ... If that's not acceptable I'd have a quality, purpose built 22LR like the CMMG

Lastly, my 1-4 would be the essential but I'd want to have a few uppers in other caliber's, I'd use on #2 like an 11.5" 223, 7.62x39, 9mm, the above mentioned CMMG 22LR ... Maybe the 5.7 and a 6.5 Grendel

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Just one more...

This x5 for me so far. Big Grin

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards building up #4 as a military clone. Either an M16A4 or an M4A1.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Doh!
And +1

Actually, based on what's in my safe, more than +1

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Doh!
And +1

Actually, based on what's in my safe, more than +1

The M4A1s that we use may not be as fancy as what the civilian market offers but they are full auto and the ammo is thoughtfully provided by Uncle Sam.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
The M4A1s that we use may not be as fancy as what the civilian market offers but they are full auto and the ammo is thoughtfully provided by Uncle Sam.

So they're full-auto ...
How long can you keep that shoulder fired fiberglass stocked 308 on target in that fancy full-auto mode?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

So they're full-auto ...
How long can you keep that shoulder fired fiberglass stocked 308 on target in that fancy full-auto mode?
It's a 223, but yet FA typically just leads to more bullet fired, not really more hits on target. Wink

posted Hide Post
Colt SP1 clone (actual take off M16 upper), an LMT carbine, an LMT 10.5 pistol and my Colt 6933 SBR. That's my current collection, and as I have no desire for long range precision will probably remain that way.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

So they're full-auto ...
It's a 223, but yet FA typically just leads to more bullet fired, not really more hits on target. Wink

I think dyslexia or old age kicked in ... I read M14something which is why I was thinking 308 ... not exactly sure where I got that from Frown Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
thanks fritz, for that

for me it would be
5) pistol calibers, three w/ dots , two scoped
5) rifle calibers ,
three scoped , two w/ scope and dots
and

a .410

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have 3 AR 15's in 556/223 and I have one PA10 in 308.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I failed to post in here before. So i am going to deposit my wisdom on you all. My wife calls it bullshit. She is wrong, i 'm pretty sure i am the smartest man alive.

Any who

1 dedicated lower for 22lr trainer uppers. Much easier to only dirty one lower for cleaning. One upper red dot, one upper scopped.
1 556 di rifle. A Franken gun for you to assemble and say you built it to your leftist neighbor.
1 556 piston gun that you bought because pistons and shit
1 556 sbr 10.5 inches is where it is at according to my wife
1 300 black out sbr because 556 sub is 22lr
1 ar10 on a bipod weighing as much as an m1g because as men over 40 we are too damn lazy to run with the fucker
1 painted up cera coated ar15/10 of the above flavors to go with your bbq pistol , sbr optional, can is not.
1 assembled ar10/15 from the cheapest parts you could scrounge, free, fixed, any slapdash piece of shit that works every time
1 assembled ar15/10 that you hunted every part down on sale that is worth 4g separately, and you have up for sale for 600 with no takers

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post