SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What makes a complete AR15 collection?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes a complete AR15 collection? Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted
Just for fun and also to give me some insight from those more learned than myself. I'm interested in your opinions on what you would choose if you could spec four AR-15's from scratch to cover what you think you'd need from owning only four AR-15's. I'm not really looking for advice on what I should get but more how you came to select the different styles, features, or accessories you feel are important if you could only have four complete firearms. Be it for fun or SHTF scenario what do you feel you'd like to have handy to cover anything that may come?
Please tell me what type of shooting you'd expect to be doing and what each AR's primary purpose would be. Be as specific as you care to be.
Friendly discussion only please. Smile

For me I don't do a lot of long range shooting. 400 yards is probably as far as I ever care to attempt so that makes my choices a bit easier (and cheaper!). Also, since I'm a bit of a cheap ass, I'll avoid tax stamps or exotic calibers and just pile the 5.56 high and deep. Cool

1. 10.5" bbl, 5.56, carbine gas system with a WML, red dot, and sling. This would be for when I needed something handy and light to maneuver around a house or to have in a vehicle.
2. 16" bbl, mid length gas system, red dot and backup irons, WML, vertical fore grip, and sling. This one would be the primary defensive rifle for use in the house and closer engagements where magnified optics aren't needed. Pretty much a mid length, semi auto M4.
3. 18" bbl, rifle length gas system, 1-6 scope, flip up bipod, sling. This is for plinking, varmints, and possibly gaming.
4. Drawing a blank. I have many wants but can't come up with a single need.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a few 16” guns, a few pistols. DI & Piston..
.22, 9mm, 300blk, .308, 5.56/223, even a 458SOCOM....
No stamps yet.
When will it be complete?I’ll let you know.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. 10.5" bbl, 5.56, carbine gas system with a WML, red dot, and sling. This would be for when I needed something handy and light to maneuver around a house or to have in a vehicle.

Unless it's a pistol, your 'cheap ass' is gonna need a Tax Stamp for that one.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one more...

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Unless it's a pistol, your 'cheap ass' is gonna need a Tax Stamp for that one.... Wink

Its a pistol with a Shockwave arm brace. Im always 100% compliant with firearm laws.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
No stamps yet.

I'll probably have a dozen or so before I feel the need to stop too. Big Grin

But for the purpose of this thread what would you keep if you could only have 4?

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
No stamps yet.

I'll probably have a dozen or so before I feel the need to stop too. Big Grin

But for the purpose of this thread what would you keep if you could only have 4?

For redundancy and possible arming of others....
Two 16” rifles 5.56
One pistol 5.56
One pistol 300blk

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
One day I'll find the perfect AR chambered for the 7.62x39. And I feel a bit bad somehow that I don't have a 20" Colt or FN, just to give the ACOG a proper home.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
I've got over 2 dozen, and am sure I will have more. I'm not sure I can identify what four I would build if I only could only have four. Why limit yourself?Big Grin But, I can tell you which four I shoot way more than any others:

1. 11.5" BCM with an MCMR-10, 5.56, carbine gas, fixed BUIS, with an offset Inforce WML, Aimpoint T2. Magpul CTR. AAC 51 tooth brake paired with an AAC M4-2000 in 6.8. This is what I run as a defensive rifle and in classes.

2. 10.5" Noveske 6.8 w/switchblock, carbine gas, Vortex PST 1-4X24. No irons. Magpul CTR. AAC 51T FH paired with the same AAC M4-2000. This is a truck gun, and the deer and pigs around our place absolutely hate it.

3. 8.2" Noveske 300 BLK w/ an 8" NSR, pistol length gas, Aimpoint Pro BUIS, Holosun w/ ACSS CQB Reticle, LWRC UCIW stock. Setup with an H2 brake for a Rugged Micro30. This is ridiculously light and handy. Have been favoring it for pigs over the 6.8 recently due to size and weight. The more I use it, the more I would consider slapping a WML on it and using it for a defensive setup as well.

4. 5" 9mm, DOE 633-ish clone. Setup for Colt pattern mags with Hahn conversion block. 3-lug mount for and old SWR Trident9. A favorite of anyone that wants to shoot ARs all day.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 4?

*an SBR or Pistol w/brace.

*a standard M4 style 14.5 - 16in barrel & collapsible stock

*an M-16a2 /a3 style with a 20in barrel

Here's where things get interesting
Choice #4 is either going to be-
Keeping the 5.56- an MK-12/ Super Accurate type rifle

or kick it up to a 7.62/.308 and get a AR-10 to reach out and touch something way over there.

accessorize as wanted.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 - 10.5” 5.56 on a Form 1 suppressed

2 - 16” 5.56

3 - 7.5” 300BLK on a Form 1 suppressed

4 - 4.5” 9mm on a Form 1 suppressed

Those are my 4 primary ones, I have others in various stages. Somebody mentioned a .308 to reach out, not a bad idea. May need to look into an AR10 lower.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post

1> NM 20", (with 2 uppers, one scoped, one irons)
2> standard A1
3> standard A2 (HBAR or Gov't Profile)
4> pistol w/ brace to resemble a Commando or XM type, or a standard Carbine type (16" collapsible)

I tend to be more traditional, so the high speed low drag types don't do much for me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have more than 4, but if I could only keep 4 then it would be these:

1 - 7” 5.56 - Form 1
2 - 10.5” 300blk - Form 1 & Suppressed
3 - 12.5” 5.56 - Form 1 & Suppressed
4 - 16’ 5.56 Suppressed

I have considered getting a 20” 5.56 and if I did then it would take the place of the 16” in my list.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have four, with an additional RRA lower and NM parts kit for future fun.

Bushmaster full sized 20 inch barrel A2 with RRA National match trigger for CMP, NRA Hipower and also because it's just great.

Sig M400 with a Trijicon MRO

RRA with a 16 inch LW barrel. Bare bones, just iron sights

Stag 9 for when I shoot PCC in USPSA and just for fun.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
1: 16” do-all carbine.
2: 11.5” HD/Riot pistol/SBR.
3: 20” scoped DMR/target rifle.
4: Meme blaster that tickles your pickle.

The first two are obvious, the third could also be useful for defense depending on your location. The fourth depends on your taste. M16A2, GAU-5, retro-tac, PCC, multicolored space force build. I have been giving some thought to 16” .300blk with super-sonics for defense, including larger animals.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 AR-15's.

1) 20" Shilen barrel equipped Gibbz Side charger with a Nikon 3-12 power scope for long rage work. BTW, my 100 yard targets for this rifle are 1/2 inch dot stickers. On a good day I can put 3 in into each sticker.

2) 16 inch 300 Blackout with a Wilson Combat pistol length gas system and a Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block. Sights are Magpul flip ups.

3) 16 inch Odin Works mid length gas system with the Syrac Adj gas block because with the Blackout I found tuning the gas supply to the ammunition used makes for a much cleaner shooting rifle.

4) Under Consideration. An AR-10 in either 6.5 Creedmore or 450 Bushmaster. Most likely with a Gibbz side charging uppper and if a Creedmore a Shilen barrel.

Common features of all my rifles. First is a single stage Timney trigger at 3.5 lbs. Second is Gibbz Arms forearms and Magpul butt stocks. The Gibbz forearms because the mounting design is simple and superb design. As for the Magpul stocks, the cheek risers designed by Magpul fit me absolutely perfectly.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turn back the clock:
GAU-5 Or XM177

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
1) 16" 5.56 standard with your preferred optic

2) .20" .308 with a scope

3) 10.5 5.56 SBR/braced gun, preferred optic

4) 5" 9mm braced pistol, suppressed, red dot, glock magazines, 50rd drum.Preferably full-auto Big Grin

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say that one of the things setting ARs apart from earlier designs is select fire. Which makes me wonder if one M16 with an assortment of uppers would be a more complete collection than a bunch of semi autos?

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Scar either 16 or 17
if the 16

AR 7.62 of some sort based on budget

A Colt 6720

the fourth would be either a Colt 6933 sbr or similar.

Or

A Noveske Basic Recce or similar midlength.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post