SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on Beretta 1301 Tactical?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Beretta 1301 Tactical? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
How do we like it?

How is factory LOP and weight? Sounds like it's lighter than most other comparable shotguns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Watch this, especially at the 7:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBmuPQGX1vg&t=428s

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
In the video, the reviewer mentioned a couple of replacement part fixes for the problem but it was very unclear.

What are they? Do they work well?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I have the Comp version. It is a great shotgun with this one HUGE exeption but can be remedied. Beretta will not do anything I sent mine back and they returned it the same day. Mine was also doing it just from the recoil while firing it. The fix is to buy a shield around the release but instead I purchased the TX4 release(the SG this was based on) which is a button instead of a lever and now you cannot inadvertently activate the button. $50 for the part but now it's a functioning shotgun. They are selling at hundreds below what they initially sold for I assume due to the bad reviews over this malfunction. Of course you will hear people say its designed this way I say BS, ymmv.....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I Googled TX4 release and got a bunch of stuff about taxis. Where can I find the Beretta product? Thanks.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
https://www.brownells.com/shot...Model_1=Beretta__TX4
Keep in mind also, the only part you use is the button, drift the pin out and replace the factory lever with the button. The complete TX4 latch won't fit the 1301, close but I learned the hard way and had to remove and reinstall. Works great it's just a lot for a button but I had a shotgun that wasn't worth a shit as it was.

Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/y2hbmGIyZ2c
There's links to part 1-3 of this review in the notes.
The biggest complaint seems to be the bolt release.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by mew:
I have the Comp version. It is a great shotgun with this one HUGE exeption but can be remedied. Beretta will not do anything I sent mine back and they returned it the same day. Mine was also doing it just from the recoil while firing it. The fix is to buy a shield around the release but instead I purchased the TX4 release(the SG this was based on) which is a button instead of a lever and now you cannot inadvertently activate the button. $50 for the part but now it's a functioning shotgun. They are selling at hundreds below what they initially sold for I assume due to the bad reviews over this malfunction. Of course you will hear people say its designed this way I say BS, ymmv.....

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two shrouds availible for the back of the bolt release to preclude pressing the back of the lever and dumping shells inadvertently. I have both and they both work well.

The original is from TAU Development group - the same people who make the “Gadget” striker control device for Glocks. The other is from Arridus Industries, who also make several other neat 1301 accessories including an aluminum stock adapter which allows use of the Mossberg version of the magpul SGA stock on the Beretta 1301.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:

The other Beretta hunting shotguns which the 1301 was based on were designed that way to allow unloading using the bolt release lever. A convenience for hunting but a disaster in a Tactical / duty / defense gun. I’m pretty sure leaving that “feature” in the 1301 was an oversight on someone’s part.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
The 1301 was based on the TX4. Not sure what "hunting" SG you are referencing but that would make no sense to "design" a shotgun to lock itself up by pushing the bolt release in any circumstance. With your logic it doesn't lock up ie; eject 2 shells onto the carrier on a hunting SG but it does on a competiion/tactical??

Edmund Burke

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Bolt release issue is WAY overblown. Still, its been redesigned going forward and Beretta offers a shroud for cheap if you think its an issue for you.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
So its being redesigned AND they offer a shroud in case its an issue but the problem is overblown? It's not overblown if your SG locks up during normal operation. I take it yours doesn't do it and you didn't get a shroud?

Edmund Burke

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm aware of the bolt release design issue and the aftermarket replacement parts, so it doesn't really concern me.

Looking for weight and LOP vs. other similar 12ga semi autos. Looks like it's significantly lighter than the M4 (although I shaved a few oz off mine), but how is LOP compared to an M4 with a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock?

Basically looking for a lightweight, short LOP semi auto. Gun is not for me; I'm settled with my M4, but I need shorter and lighter.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

$9.50. Not too bad.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-u...-shroud-kit/eu00074/

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for information on the part.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
How do we like it?

How is factory LOP and weight? Sounds like it's lighter than most other comparable shotguns.

I absolutely love mine. The LOP is awesome, especially utilizing a "squared up" tactical stance. I consider myself having a standard (if such thing exists) wing span. Heck, my major complaint about my Versa Max Tactical is it's 14 + LOP. Yes, the 1301 is much lighter than most, if not all, other gas operated shotguns in this category; but, reoil "mitigation" is outstanding. Mine runs everything I put in it. In my opinion it is one of the better made and operating self-defense shotguns. It has large controls and a lifter that won't try to rip off your thumbnail if you don't use a proper loading technique.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post