SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Hog hunters of SigForum,

I'm getting interested in hunting feral hogs. I've got a couple connections through friends and family that could have me hunting in Missouri as well as in Texas. Sooner or later, I'll have a SCAR-17 to shoot (at) the pigs with, but what else should I be packing, and how do you recommend I carry it?

Lights, batteries, possibly night vision and/or thermal equipment, bi-pod and/or shooting stick, knife/knives, ammo, multitool, water, snacks, sidearm, gloves... What else?

Please, help me build out a kit!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
30-30, leather sling, havalon piranta knife.

Super tactical, high stealth, rip-stop Old Navy blue jeans. Low drag weather-proof Kevlar reinforced Nirvana T-shirt.

And good comfy boots.

Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

Super tactical, high stealth, rip-stop Old Navy blue jeans. Low drag weather-proof Kevlar reinforced Nirvana T-shirt.

And good comfy boots.

Big Grin

Clearly, Bionic, you operate, man! Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
We pull all-nighters at a friend’s 7,000 acre farm in South Georgia.

I have a Pulsar XD38A thermal monocular for scanning. We use two Night Optics 750 NV scopes and a Pulsar XD75 thermal scope.

We each carry a Ruger Ranch 300blk and a suppressed side piece, that way the neighboring farm owners don’t hear gun shot all night long. I cut the bottom out of an uncle mike’s holster to accommodate a suppressor.

I carry a surefire light and keep an energizer headlamp ready for when we have to drag something out of a field.

Believe it or not we regularly drop them at 300 yards with a blackout. The holdover is quite a bit.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rifle, various calibers but, generally .30 caliber or larger. Sturdy knife, binoculars and range finder. Sometimes I'll bring shooting sticks. Clothing appropriate for weather conditions. And of course, comfy boots. I may also wear snake gaiters.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Man, when a few buddies and I go out I wonder if were going after bin laden or pigs sometimes.

I recently added a FLIR PTS233 scope into the mix, but haven't had a chance to use it on porky.
I'm considering a FLIR Breach monocular to helmet mount with the PVS 14.

Something to keep in mind is thermal will be excellent for observation/a relatively stationary rifle scope whereas night vision is well suited for movement since you are looking through the tube rather than a screen.
Don't purchase a thermal unit thinking you'll be walking around safetly using it for navigation.

I use an Inforce WMX mounted on the helmet for extra light usually in infrared. Works wonders with the PVS.

Heres the real question, whats your budget?

It's hard to beat good scopes and a solid helmet rig.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
“Heres the real question, whats your budget?”

Truth

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Rifle (usually some flavor of .30, like 7.62x39, .308, or .30-06)
Handgun
Knife
Camelback
TQ and small trauma kit
Flashlight
Snacks
Thick canvas pants and shirt
Quality boots
Hat
Gloves
Season-appropriate inclement weather clothing

Nothing fancy. I don't use a bipod, long-range optic, or IR/NV/Thermal. Stuff like that is more for longer-range hunting from stationary positions, like a stand. My buddies and I usually hunt with dogs while riding ATVs, or sometimes stalking on foot or driving/pushing. Shots are typically made from the shoulder, at relatively short range (100 yards and in), with minimal setup time. But the areas we hunt have trees and fairly thick brush.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Budget? Let's say that I'm willing to get what needs gettin'.

On the subject of night vision and thermals, while that stuff looks cool as all get out, I'll only get to use it when I go to Texas, and my uncle who will be hosting me already has good NV and thermal equipment. Missouri is not so enlightened and specifically prohibits the use of night vision and thermal gear.

...That said, a monocle and/or a clip-on NV unit sure sounds awesome.

As I was pondering what would work best, I had the idea that a lightweight, molle vest or chest rig might be a good idea. Something to carry a couple magazines, batteries, a first aid kit, etc., and if I need to change it up for use in a class, a shootin' match, or the zombie apocalypse, I could just reconfigure the pouches. In Texas, it sounds like we'd be able to keep a vehicle within reasonable walking distance, so it may not be entirely necessary there, but for the Missouri hunts we'd have to leave the vehicle considerably farther away.

-ShneaSIG

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Have you been hunting (hog or otherwise) before?

I highly doubt you'll need a chest rig with a bunch of spare magazines, at least for typical hunting. You most likely won't be taking that many shots. So it'd just be excess weight that you have to hump around. Weight is important, especially when hunting on foot.

I usually have 5-10 rounds in the rifle, plus usually either a (small) spare magazine or a handful of loose spare rounds. And even on days when we're really tearing them up, I have ammo left over.

But it will depend on how you're planning to hunt. The only way that you might need a bunch of extra mags on hand is if you're setting up in a static position for an extended period, and plan on trying to mow down multiple large packs. (But that's less hunting than merely pest eradication.) If that's the case, weight isn't as much of a concern since you're not having to carry it around all day. And in that case, depending on how many hogs wander into your area, you might approach the volume of fire in which multiple spare mags are needed.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Have you been hunting (hog or otherwise) before?

I highly doubt you'll need a chest rig with a bunch of spare magazines. You almost certainly won't be taking that many shots. So it'd just be excess weight that you have to hump around.

Weight is important, especially when hunting on foot.

I usually have 5-10 rounds in the rifle, plus usually either a (small) spare magazine or a handful of loose spare rounds. And even on days when we're really tearing them up, I have ammo left over.

But it will depend on how you're planning to hunt. The only way that you might need a bunch of extra mags on hand is if you're setting up in a static position for an extended period, and plan on trying to mow down multiple packs. (Like heavd's night vision all-nighters.) But that's less hunting than merely pest eradication. In that case, weight isn't as much of a concern since you're not having to carry it around all day. And depending on how many hogs wander into your area, you might approach the volume of fire in which multiple spare mags are needed.

Been hunting before for small game, but never been hog hunting before. It's a little different that hunting squirrels!

These would be longer outings, especially the Texas trips - we very well may get a chance at 3 sounders a night (but we'll be in and out of a vehicle, so carrying stuff on me isn't nearly as much of a concern). I wasn't so much thinking of a chest rig as a means to haul around 8 spare magazines; I was thinking more like 2 (and, well, maybe not even that, based on your guidance - I'd feel a bit naked without at least 1 spare magazine, if for no other reason than to have a backup in the event of a malfunction), plus all the other useful things. Think a small carrier, not something like my big ole' LBT TEOTWAWKI 5.56 rig.

Maybe a molle belt would be more appropriate.

-ShneaSIG

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I usually just stick the small spare mag or the loose rounds in a pocket. Or a couple of my rifles have buttstock ammo carrier, like this:

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I usually just stick the small spare mag or the loose rounds in a pocket. Or a couple of my rifles have buttstock ammo carrier, like this:

[image removed for brevity]

As we talk, Rogue, the minimalist approach is hitting home. A belt with a couple utility-type pouches (one of those being a first aid kit), sidearm, and a spare magazine probably does the trick, and a camelback for water.

-ShneaSIG

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It hit home with me the first time I humped a heavy rifle and a bunch of extra gear around on foot all day, and then couldn't make the shots I wanted towards the end of the day because I was too tired and my arms were too wobbly. Wink

Now I favor less gear, and a compact lightweight rifle.

But again, it depends partly on how you're planning to hunt. If you're setting up in a stand or other stationary position, then feel free to bring that 15+ pound rifle with the 20x infrathermal scope, bipod, laser/IR illuminator, and tactical plate carrier with 500 rounds of ammo. You'll only have to carry it from the car to the stand and back. Big Grin

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

And good comfy boots.

Big Grin

Well, yeah. Obviously. Wink

But seriously, check out that knife I mentioned. Maybe not as a primary, I like my Gerber LMF for that, but as a skinner, Havalon is hard to beat.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Rogue is right about weight.

Definitely look into a night vision device like a Gen 2+ or Gen 3 PVS 14. The weight is negligible and the NV ability is a game changer. (Just noticed you already have access to it when you are out of state so YMMV)

I typically carry one 20rd mag of .300 in the rifle and another 20 rounder in my pocket (when in Texas)

Everything else is either on my belt, a small pack, or on the helmet.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
A good sling. With padding. Carrying the SCAR for a few hours makes it feel pretty heavy.

You can add a QD socket forward of the hinge to allow folding the stock while the rifle is slung, which helps with stowing it a bit smaller for navigating brush or vehicles.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

And good comfy boots.

Big Grin

Well, yeah. Obviously. Wink

But seriously, check out that knife I mentioned. Maybe not as a primary, I like my Gerber LMF for that, but as a skinner, Havalon is hard to beat.

I havnt shot pigs in years but for a couple years now I’ve used a havalon for almost all my hunting. I just can’t get myself to carry around big heavy knives now. I have a few of them and one of them lives in my Bino harness full time, the other just stays in my kill kit. A havalon and some extra blades is an awesome tool.

I save the full blades and my buddy actually re sharpens them, after that I throw them out.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the input, gentlemen. You guys are great!

-ShneaSIG