SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
...That said, a monocle and/or a clip-on NV unit sure sounds awesome.

If you go for an expensive thermal or clip on NV to the rifle, ensure that it's durable enough for a SCAR 17 (if you end up using that). The 17s recoil impulse has been known to jack up optics.

Just FYI.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

If you go for an expensive thermal or clip on NV to the rifle, ensure that it's durable enough for a SCAR 17 (if you end up using that). The 17s recoil impulse has been known to jack up optics.

Just FYI.

I've been looking into Armasight. Their stuff is supposed to be sufficiently hardened to ride on a SCAR-17.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm older, so I carry a light weight folding chair to sit in. Mosquito repellent. Something to drag a hog with if needed. Paper/card/something to show you have permission to hunt...have been stopped by the game warden and simply showed him the farmer's business card. Flashing strobe to put on the dead hog to make it easy to find if I have to go get the truck to load the hog onto (I'm in the Florida panhandle...our hogs are good to eat).

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Just FYI.

I've been looking into Armasight. Their stuff is supposed to be sufficiently hardened to ride on a SCAR-17.

Check out the new FLIR scopes. With their new Boson core they are a serious contender. The 320 stuff looks as good as most of the 640 scopes on the market currently.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice has been given, especially about being cognizant of weight if doing a walking hunt. A clip-on light is nice for the cap (red/white or green/white), but I also like to use a head-band light with red & white options. Practice with it to ensure you know how to turn on the non-white light prior to getting out in the field during a dark, cold night with gloves on. I also use a rechargeable hand-held red spotlight and a parabolic green flashlight mounted on the rifle. A VTAC sling makes the all-night death marches more bearable.

After the kill, glove up with surgical gloves (I use the purple nitrile ones) if the hog is particularly nasty with bugs, mud, etc. Figure out how you want to butcher it (quarters & backstrap only or bring it in for full butchering) before you shoot it and bring the appropriate gear to the field with you.

Opinions vary about the following, so take it for what it's worth: I've always been left alone by the Game Wardens when I call ahead to let them know when and where we're hunting. They always seem appreciative when I do. If I'm ever stopped and accused of poaching deer I've got a record of a phone call stating otherwise.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
A Havalon Piranta is the cat's ass. We use it to skin/dress elk & deer. Blade gettign a little dull...just swap in a new one. Like a surgical scalpel.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
A Havalon Piranta is the cat's ass. We use it to skin/dress elk & deer. Blade gettign a little dull...just swap in a new one. Like a surgical scalpel.

Checked this knife out - seems like a great idea!

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Have you been hunting (hog or otherwise) before?

I highly doubt you'll need a chest rig with a bunch of spare magazines, at least for typical hunting. You most likely won't be taking that many shots. So it'd just be excess weight that you have to hump around. Weight is important, especially when hunting on foot.

I usually have 5-10 rounds in the rifle, plus usually either a (small) spare magazine or a handful of loose spare rounds. And even on days when we're really tearing them up, I have ammo left over.

But it will depend on how you're planning to hunt. The only way that you might need a bunch of extra mags on hand is if you're setting up in a static position for an extended period, and plan on trying to mow down multiple large packs. (But that's less hunting than merely pest eradication.) If that's the case, weight isn't as much of a concern since you're not having to carry it around all day. And in that case, depending on how many hogs wander into your area, you might approach the volume of fire in which multiple spare mags are needed.

Yup. A smallish backpack ought to be sufficient. Water, some chow. Raingear and perhaps an extra jacket if it is fall or winter. A first aid kit. Any decent knife. You won't want more than a box of ammo. It is hot in a lot of Texas, the backpack may be more comfortable than another garment like a vest. Get a comfy sling.

Are you stand hunting? Then carry more in, and put it in the blind. If you are walking more, then focus on lightness.

If you are hunting at night, then night vision is fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hogs are nocturnal. Since you cannot use night vision, use any rifle 243 and up with an illuminated reticle. You’ll likely have some low light shots with a black/dark animal against a nearly black backdrop. I use a 270 or 308 bolt gun. Ear hole shots will put them down. Behind the front shoulder shots work great as well, but mind your quartering angle. I have shot hogs with a Mini-14 with good success as well.

If you want to be more sporting, try shooting them from bow stands with a revolver. 357 Mag works well. Another fun thing is stalk hunt them during the day along creek beds. Where I hunt you can use a rifle for this, but some places a 12 ga would be a better option.

In addition to a bolt gun, I carry a 6” 686 in a cross drawl chest holster. That way it doesn’t bang into your slung rifle and you can get to it quick if need be. Its just a back up and I’ve never had to use it.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
ThermaCell for skeeters. They are great when the air isn't moving. DEET is very hard on plastics and many finishes like you'd find on guns, but might still be necessary if the wind is just right, too slow to blow the bastages away but too fast for the ThermaCell.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in FL they're usually shot at shorter distances 75 yards or less and 12 gauges with slugs or .357 magnum with a 6" barrel or .44 mag is popular.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Mosin Nagant M38 or Vepr K in &.62X39
Moro kniv $10 knife
Magellan GPS 315

Mississippi game warden as a makeshift guide.

I made a dent in the population.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hog hunters of SigForum,

I'm getting interested in hunting feral hogs. I've got a couple connections through friends and family that could have me hunting in Missouri as well as in Texas. Sooner or later, I'll have a SCAR-17 to shoot (at) the pigs with, but what else should I be packing, and how do you recommend I carry it?

Lights, batteries, possibly night vision and/or thermal equipment, bi-pod and/or shooting stick, knife/knives, ammo, multitool, water, snacks, sidearm, gloves... What else?

Please, help me build out a kit!

A buddy of mine does feral eradication as a business in TX. He says go thermal or go home.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I highly doubt you'll need a chest rig with a bunch of spare magazines. You almost certainly won't be taking that many shots. So it'd just be excess weight that you have to hump around.

Weight is important, especially when hunting on foot.

I usually have 5-10 rounds in the rifle, plus usually either a (small) spare magazine or a handful of loose spare rounds. And even on days when we're really tearing them up, I have ammo left over.

But it will depend on how you're planning to hunt. The only way that you might need a bunch of extra mags on hand is if you're setting up in a static position for an extended period, and plan on trying to mow down multiple packs. (Like heavd's night vision all-nighters.) But that's less hunting than merely pest eradication. In that case, weight isn't as much of a concern since you're not having to carry it around all day. And depending on how many hogs wander into your area, you might approach the volume of fire in which multiple spare mags are needed.

Been hunting before for small game, but never been hog hunting before. It's a little different that hunting squirrels!

These would be longer outings, especially the Texas trips - we very well may get a chance at 3 sounders a night (but we'll be in and out of a vehicle, so carrying stuff on me isn't nearly as much of a concern). I wasn't so much thinking of a chest rig as a means to haul around 8 spare magazines; I was thinking more like 2 (and, well, maybe not even that, based on your guidance - I'd feel a bit naked without at least 1 spare magazine, if for no other reason than to have a backup in the event of a malfunction), plus all the other useful things. Think a small carrier, not something like my big ole' LBT TEOTWAWKI 5.56 rig.

Maybe a molle belt would be more appropriate.

No, you are right thinking chest rig.

In a vehicle, a belt sucks. Stuff on your chest simply isn't in the way.

And you are spot on. When I hunt I use my chest rig for a spare mag, calls, flashlight, a granola bar or jerky, a knife, etc....

A slim and lightweight chest rig is tremendously useful whether walking or vehicle hunting.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Rogue is right about weight.

Definitely look into a night vision device like a Gen 2+ or Gen 3 PVS 14. The weight is negligible and the NV ability is a game changer. (Just noticed you already have access to it when you are out of state so YMMV)

I typically carry one 20rd mag of .300 in the rifle and another 20 rounder in my pocket (when in Texas)

Everything else is either on my belt, a small pack, or on the helmet.

I have 3rd gen NV and it is indeed a game changer. For hunting thermal has some distinct advantages. I don't have a thermal rig yet but in an ideal world I would have NV on the helmet and good thermal on the rifle.

My experience is coyote hunting, and I often walk quite a few miles doing it on the flat fields around here at night.

A silencer is a big help as it confuses the animals and they often don't know which way to run. An unmuffled gunshot and they know immediately what they want to get away from.

If you go NV you may want to look into an IR laser and a good illuminator. I have a TNVC Torch Pro MKII and it is a GAME CHANGER when it comes to making a laser useful. Most lasers bloom too much when they are on a target unless you pair them with an illuminator as well.

Unfortunately, with certain capabilities comes a weight penalty. My hunting rifle has a day optic, but if I adjust the diopter to focus properly while wearing nods I can and have use it at night, this also affords me the ability to confirm zero of my IR laser which I do not leave on the rifle at all times.

Don't get hung up on buying a tremendously powerful IR laser, it is more common for them to be too bright, as opposed to not bright enough.

Buy the time I have the laser + illuminator + silencer on my rifle, it is a heavy pig.

If you don't already have NV, as I mentioned before, thermal does have some distinct advantages. I wish I had thermal. Smile

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Budget? Let's say that I'm willing to get what needs gettin'.

On the subject of night vision and thermals, while that stuff looks cool as all get out, I'll only get to use it when I go to Texas, and my uncle who will be hosting me already has good NV and thermal equipment. Missouri is not so enlightened and specifically prohibits the use of night vision and thermal gear.

As I was pondering what would work best, I had the idea that a lightweight, molle vest or chest rig might be a good idea. Something to carry a couple magazines, batteries, a first aid kit, etc., and if I need to change it up for use in a class, a shootin' match, or the zombie apocalypse, I could just reconfigure the pouches. In Texas, it sounds like we'd be able to keep a vehicle within reasonable walking distance, so it may not be entirely necessary there, but for the Missouri hunts we'd have to leave the vehicle considerably farther away.

I should have read more closely before I went into my tome about NV. Roll Eyes

You don't need a chest rig with a bunch of pouches. I have a 5.11 Tac-Tec that has integrated magazine pouches, and I just put everything in those pouches.

If I put on a winter coat you won't even know I have it on.

It does have molle on the front so you can add pouches if you have the need down the road.

I also use it for 3 gun matches to store magazines particularly for stages that incorporate vehicles. More and more I dislike having a ton of gear on my belt. It is far more comfortable on the chest.

You don't need a $300 chest rig to find some great utility.

https://www.511tactical.com/tactec-chest-rig.html

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
IndianaBoy and all fellow members who have joined our discussion, thank you for your thoughts. You guys have given me a lot to think about.

On the topic of NV and thermal gear, I may yet acquire some. I cant use it in MO, but I'll likely be doing some hunting in TX and other more night-hunting friendly states, so I appreciate the tips and discussions.

It's easy to get distracted by guns and ammo, and this thread has been a font of knowledge for the other bits and pieces that go into making up a useful kit for hogs. If anyone else has advice to share, I'm eagerly listening!

-ShneaSIG

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
quote:

I highly doubt you'll need a chest rig with a bunch of spare magazines. You almost certainly won't be taking that many shots. So it'd just be excess weight that you have to hump around.

Weight is important, especially when hunting on foot.

But it will depend on how you're planning to hunt. The only way that you might need a bunch of extra mags on hand is if you're setting up in a static position for an extended period, and plan on trying to mow down multiple packs. (Like heavd's night vision all-nighters.) But that's less hunting than merely pest eradication. In that case, weight isn't as much of a concern since you're not having to carry it around all day. And depending on how many hogs wander into your area, you might approach the volume of fire in which multiple spare mags are needed.

Been hunting before for small game, but never been hog hunting before. It's a little different that hunting squirrels!

These would be longer outings, especially the Texas trips - we very well may get a chance at 3 sounders a night (but we'll be in and out of a vehicle, so carrying stuff on me isn't nearly as much of a concern). I wasn't so much thinking of a chest rig as a means to haul around 8 spare magazines; I was thinking more like 2 (and, well, maybe not even that, based on your guidance - I'd feel a bit naked without at least 1 spare magazine, if for no other reason than to have a backup in the event of a malfunction), plus all the other useful things. Think a small carrier, not something like my big ole' LBT TEOTWAWKI 5.56 rig.

Maybe a molle belt would be more appropriate.

No, you are right thinking chest rig.

In a vehicle, a belt sucks. Stuff on your chest simply isn't in the way.

And you are spot on. When I hunt I use my chest rig for a spare mag, calls, flashlight, a granola bar or jerky, a knife, etc....

A slim and lightweight chest rig is tremendously useful whether walking or vehicle hunting.

My initial thoughts on a chest rig was something like this:
https://www.haleystrategic.com...ro-Chestrig-MultiCam

Set up for 7.62 rifle magazines, it would contain a couple magazines, a convenient place to put a flashlight and a knife, maybe a spare sidearm magazine, and some general purpose pouches to keep other things handy, especially if I wind up with a range finder, a thermal scope, or NV equipment that isn't on the rifle.

-ShneaSIG

Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post

Poncho. check
headgear/optics/eye protection. check
re-purposed leather bunker boots. check
light weight rifle. check
Q beam/flashlight. check
10 rounds of ammo. check
hydration. check
support vehicle. check

That should do it.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

My initial thoughts on a chest rig was something like this:
https://www.haleystrategic.com...ro-Chestrig-MultiCam

Set up for 7.62 rifle magazines, it would contain a couple magazines, a convenient place to put a flashlight and a knife, maybe a spare sidearm magazine, and some general purpose pouches to keep other things handy, especially if I wind up with a range finder, a thermal scope, or NV equipment that isn't on the rifle.

My reading comprehension sucks lately.

7.62, thus the need for larger mag pouches. My bad.