SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunters - what do you typically carry with you on a hunt, and how do you carry it? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Rogue is right about weight.

Definitely look into a night vision device like a Gen 2+ or Gen 3 PVS 14. The weight is negligible and the NV ability is a game changer. (Just noticed you already have access to it when you are out of state so YMMV)

I typically carry one 20rd mag of .300 in the rifle and another 20 rounder in my pocket (when in Texas)

Everything else is either on my belt, a small pack, or on the helmet.

I have 3rd gen NV and it is indeed a game changer. For hunting thermal has some distinct advantages. I don't have a thermal rig yet but in an ideal world I would have NV on the helmet and good thermal on the rifle.

My experience is coyote hunting, and I often walk quite a few miles doing it on the flat fields around here at night.

A silencer is a big help as it confuses the animals and they often don't know which way to run. An unmuffled gunshot and they know immediately what they want to get away from.

If you go NV you may want to look into an IR laser and a good illuminator. I have a TNVC Torch Pro MKII and it is a GAME CHANGER when it comes to making a laser useful. Most lasers bloom too much when they are on a target unless you pair them with an illuminator as well.

Unfortunately, with certain capabilities comes a weight penalty. My hunting rifle has a day optic, but if I adjust the diopter to focus properly while wearing nods I can and have use it at night, this also affords me the ability to confirm zero of my IR laser which I do not leave on the rifle at all times.

Don't get hung up on buying a tremendously powerful IR laser, it is more common for them to be too bright, as opposed to not bright enough.

Buy the time I have the laser + illuminator + silencer on my rifle, it is a heavy pig.

If you don't already have NV, as I mentioned before, thermal does have some distinct advantages. I wish I had thermal. Smile

This is one reason I am going to try 75gr GDs in my SBR, my 6.8 with the 18" barrel the suppressor with light and IR laser sucks to stalk with.....

A buddy has thermals and I have pvs7s.....total game changer

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post