SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rugers new custom shop 10/22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rugers new custom shop 10/22 Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
At the local gun store--custom shop Ruger 10/22 is going out the door.
https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/1022.html

Nice--but not for msrp of $899
Yes, it has everything done do it, bull barrel, BX trigger, integral rail and adjustable stock.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They might not be too bad once production settles down, Ruger's MSRP is always sky high.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For MSRP of $899, I say it's not a bad deal.

I paid hundreds more for my complete custom Kidd 10/22 and it is one of my favorite rifles.

This new Competition model has a lot more to it; it has a CNC machined 6061 receiver and 4140 heat treated bolt system, which is likely going to have less slop and a tighter, more polished finish than a standard 10/22. That is worth some extra money.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
They might not be too bad once production settles down, Ruger's MSRP is always sky high.

$650 at my LGS. I could be tempted.... Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Nice--but not for msrp of $899
Yes, it has everything done do it, bull barrel, BX trigger, integral rail and adjustable stock.

Can you do it cheaper? I doubt it.

That's about the price that this cost me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it’s designed to compete against it seems like it may be priced pretty well. After playing around with one a bit it’s on my list of “might get someday”. Though that is a pretty big list and no matter how many I get it never seems to get smaller

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Judging by this video, the new Competition looks to be a great, less expensive alternative to the complete custom 10/22s out there. I would have no problem purchasing this as a tack-driving precision 10/22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj4r5yGZVfM

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a very large Rimfire Department at a gunshop in Houston.
I own a Kidd Premium Supergrade that I had built by Kidd 2 years ago.
I sell Volquartsen and Tac Sol and basically all the other major Rimfires on the market.
The Ruger Competition Custom Shop Rifle is a very special Rifle that bridges the gap between basic , home built , and the Kidds and Volquartsens.
For the money the Ruger is an incredible value .

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2920 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to see a few range reports first.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I think I'll keep looking at the Thompson Center TCR22.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazines are very tedious to remove from the TCR22.
Other than that a neat rifle.
Big feature is the Bolt Hold Back on Empty which is why the mags are tedious.

Posts: 2920 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raggedhole:
I run a very large Rimfire Department at a gunshop in Houston.
I own a Kidd Premium Supergrade that I had built by Kidd 2 years ago.
I sell Volquartsen and Tac Sol and basically all the other major Rimfires on the market.
The Ruger Competition Custom Shop Rifle is a very special Rifle that bridges the gap between basic , home built , and the Kidds and Volquartsens.
For the money the Ruger is an incredible value .

Raggedhole - If I may ask Sir where do you see the Ruger 10/22 Target Lite falling in this range you described I ask because I saw several shooters at last years World Steel Shooting Championship in Talledega, AL shooting stock 10/22 Target Lite models with a C-More mounted red dot and several of these were World Class shooters...I ask because this rifles price point in under $500.00....Thanks Mark

https://www.ruger.com/products...rgetLite/models.html

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Target Lite has the Ruger BX trigger and a Lite Barrel that is threaded .
It has a thumbhole laminate stock.
It is a nice light gun for speed shooting disciplines.

There are many reasons and purposes for buying 22 rifles.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have owned Kidd and Volquartsen stuff and currently have two Nodak receiver 10/22 builds. The only parts I have from Ruger are mags, a BX trigger and a stainless hammer-forged barrel on one of the guns (because it looks cool).

At a street price of $650-700, the 10/22 Competition represents a huge value. The rear tang, dual barrel mount screws and other parts previously required a full-on Kidd or VQ rifle.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for Ruger. I hope the new model functions well and finds a solid footing in the market.

But they should have done this sooner. It's no secret that:
- 10/22 owners upgrade their basic rifles like crazy
- Kidd, Volquartsen, and Tac Sol have been taking a piece of the market for some time
- There is a noticeable trend on more on accurate 22lr shooting

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
At a street price of $650-700, the 10/22 Competition represents a huge value. The rear tang, dual barrel mount screws and other parts previously required a full-on Kidd or VQ rifle.

I like Ruger's location of the rear tang screw. On my Kidd Supergrade, the rear tang bolt is on top, right underneath the rear of the scope. It's not too much of a hassle to unscrew, but I can't just insert an allen wrench into it and twirl it off.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
$899 has got to be high/full MSRP based on what dealer cost is, I’d expect street price to be quite a bit lower.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
$899 has got to be high/full MSRP based on what dealer cost is, I’d expect street price to be quite a bit lower.

quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
$650 at my LGS.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post