SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's a good first rifle? (threaded barrel)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a good first rifle? (threaded barrel) Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I'm starting to day dream about a first rifle for my son. He's just turned 4 and I'd like to start getting him out when I think he's reached the maturity level. (Don't worry. I already have him a complete AR lower! Smile )

Want some thing like the cricket.

The Criteria:
Won't break the bank.
Short LOP since he is small
Chambered in 22LR
Bolt action
Iron sights
Threaded barrel
Single shot preferred but would look at mag loaded. I can always load the mag 1 at a time.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
As cheap as 10/22s have gotten... I just get one of those and call it day.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a savage rascal, but no threaded barrel there. I'm debating taking it to be threaded.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-scout/

Ships with a single shot adapter. Takes 455 magazines. And you can add a 455 stock when he outgrows the short LOP stock. Has iron sights.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
As cheap as 10/22s have gotten... I just get one of those and call it day.

He wants a threaded barrel, probably for a suppressor.

Semi-autos are much louder than suppressed bolt action rimfires.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

I just got one of these with the same thing in mind for my daughter when she gets old enough. Appears to be very nice but havent shot it yet. No iron sights though.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

10/22 come from the factory with threaded barrels in both regular & takedown models. Also they have this line now too: http://www.ruger.com/products/...reTarget/models.html

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be his first rifle, but I'd get an AR lower receiver for him and just put it away. He can build it however he wants (probably as his second rifle, after a 10/22 or some kind of bolt-action .22). AR receivers are cheaper now than they've been in 10 years.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

10/22 come from the factory with threaded barrels in both regular & takedown models. Also they have this line now too: http://www.ruger.com/products/...reTarget/models.html

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So that model has a threaded barrel.

It also is a heavy barrel. (This rifle is for a 4 year old.)

It does not have short LOP.

It does not have iron sights.

It is not bolt action.

It is almost nothing like what the OP is looking for.

10/22s are fine. But the idea that it should be everyone's first 22 rifle is tiresome.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
It wouldn't be his first rifle, but I'd get an AR lower receiver for him and just put it away. He can build it however he wants (probably as his second rifle, after a 10/22 or some kind of bolt-action .22). AR receivers are cheaper now than they've been in 10 years.

Did that years ago! Smile

I've got a tricked out 10/22 already. I want something a little easier with a shorter length of pull. That way the rifle will fit him better.

Plus as Indy suggested I just got back my Form 1 yesterday for a 22LR can. Just need to drill out the baffles and end-cap to finish and I'll be good to go. He's pretty hearing sensitive. So I want to make his first time out a good one.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 06wrb:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

I just got one of these with the same thing in mind for my daughter when she gets old enough. Appears to be very nice but havent shot it yet. No iron sights though.

I saw a cricket with a bull barrel that was threaded. But same thing... no iron sights. I'd really like to start him on irons.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ships with a single shot adapter. Takes 455 magazines. And you can add a 455 stock when he outgrows the short LOP stock. Has iron sights.

This might be the ticket. I was hoping to be closer to maybe $200 or so. But I can probably swing that when the time comes.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

This might be the ticket. I was hoping to be closer to maybe $200 or so. But I can probably swing that when the time comes.

A little pricier but the quality is such that your grandson will also learn on it. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ 455 American has all you're looking for sans iron sights... Mine sees more range time than anything else lately and is giggle quiet with subs and a can.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No threaded barrel, but the Savage Rascal is a heck of a first rifle.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Ruger American rimfire?
Bolt action
Uses 10/22 magazines
And on the model I have(Compact? I think):
Threaded barrel
Fairly short LOP

I have one. It's bolt is not as slick as the Savage I had, but did I mention it takes 10/22 magazines?
And with a suppressor, it's air rifle quiet.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

For $100 more, the CZ is worth it.

Plus with the new 455 Scout, you can change the stock to a full size later on, and put different barrels / calibers (22MAG, 17HMR). Instead of being a kid only rifle, it is one he can grow into.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I started my boys with a cricket. At the time, and maybe still, it was the only rifle I'd seen that was actually kid size. Certainly the 10/22 is not sized for a small child, and neither are the CZs to my knowledge. Youth sized, aged 9-12 or so, maybe. Aged 4-7 or so, the cricket is great.

Cricket is not threaded, but I'd suggest that you just get some quiet .22, CB caps, etc. A single action .22 is pretty quiet already, and I would imagine exceptionally so with the quiet ammo.

Gearing up with the eyes and ears should be part of the experience in my opinion, but if he's particularly sensitive to noise, the quiet ammo should be pretty similar to using a suppressor.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At that age, Cricket for sure. Subsonic ammo to keep the intensity down.

Past that, CZ Scout. Now you are getting serious about hitting stuff.

Only after these phases, consider a 10/22 variant. If the right attitude and respect is not there, don't move to the semi-auto....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post