SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice for CMP M1 Garand newbies: ammo, parts, accessories, experiences, etc?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for CMP M1 Garand newbies: ammo, parts, accessories, experiences, etc? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
There'll soon be lots of new enthusiasts.

I 've got to say, the owner's manual alone was worth the price of admission, informative and entertainingly humorous.

My service grade rifle's gone back to Anniston to reset the barrel and fix an ejection problem after about 50 rounds, but will be back soon. I am looking forward to informal target shooting and competing in our club's 100 and 200 yard military rifle matches.

Please tell about about sources for ammo, clips, slings, dry fire devices, books, organizations, gunsmiths, and all that good stuff.

And your experiences enjoying your Garands!

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
ammo Garand [pack rats collectable].
I have bought hundreds of clips and slings from them over the years.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your your new rifle!

The best ammunition available now at a decent price is PPU specifically designed for the M1 Garand. I purchase mine from SG Ammo.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally
Please tell about about sources for ammo, clips, slings, dry fire devices, books, organizations, gunsmiths, and all that good stuff.

Best source of ammunition has always been the CMP, buying the Greek Surplus HXP M2 ball. That's really it. There are quite a few manufacturers now making Garand friendly ammo. Federal makes same in there American Eagle line as does Privi Partizan. Fulton Armory has been a good source for other items you listed such as dry fire device and literature. I love my Garands, they'll always stay with me or at least in the family.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
quote:
Originally

Best source of ammunition has always been the CMP, buying the Greek Surplus HXP M2 ball. That's really it. There are quite a few manufacturers now making Garand friendly ammo. Federal makes same in there American Eagle line as does Privi Partizan. Fulton Armory has been a good source for other items you listed such as dry fire device and literature. I love my Garands, they'll always stay with me or at least in the family.

Last I checked the Greek M2 ball had dried up, at least through the CMP. I got some back in 2014 but haven't seen it since.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I liquidated all my Garands a few years back but I always enjoyed the the Garand books by Scott Duff.

The best one of his three is the red one about war time production.

If you’re not already, I’d suggest joining the CMP forums. Their ask each other section is helpful and there are some great folks over there.

Enjoy that new Garand!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t already set up to reload! Reloading brings the cost down for ammo to under 40 cents a round if you buy bulk components on sale.
Plenty of clips and a good sling. A very ruger rifle I have been shooting them a lot for 30 plus year and have never broken a part. No need to stockpile spares, except for a spare complete rifle ( or two!)

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I've had my Garand since last summer.
I definitely recommend hand loading. Ammo is pricey other wise.
The Ace rifle case for the Garand is pretty nice.
Get good clips.
I'm still looking for a bayonet.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Has the new batch hit? Pickings online still look slim.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
http://www.turnersling.com

Don’t bother with any other 1907 repros. This is the one you want, if you want a 1907 sling.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
There'll soon be lots of new enthusiasts.

I've got to say, the owner's manual alone was worth the price of admission, informative and entertainingly humorous.

My service grade rifle's gone back to Anniston to reset the barrel and fix an ejection problem after about 50 rounds, but will be back soon. I am looking forward to informal target shooting and competing in our club's 100 and 200 yard military rifle matches.

Ammo: Privi, S&B, Federal, and Hornady all make Garand safe loads. Plus there is still plenty of US and Greek surplus to be found in the market. Saw some Lake City non-corrosive for .32 cents a round at a show last weekend which is a steal these days if you don't reload

The CMP has the best price on enblocs as best I can recall.

Slings, the Turner mentioned above is nice.

Organization, The GCA.

Books, FM 23-5, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield.

Gunsmiths: DGR, Shuff, Roland Beaver, Bruce Dow, etc.

Get some grease. Replace the op-rod spring and clip latch spring at least with the units from Orion 7. Cheap insurance.

Take your rifle totally apart and clean, inspect and lubricate it, including the bolt. A stuck or sticky firing pin is a bad thing.

A spare set of bolt guts is not a bad idea either.

You should probably plan on buying a couple more M1's just to have spare parts for your spare parts.......

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Have you replaced all the springs? Certainly start with the op-rod spring, but the rest are pretty darn easy to do.

It's not a MUST, but since the CMP doesn't do a heavy refurb on the rifles, you might as well start there.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out Sarco for parts and accessories? I haven’t ordered from them in forever, but I see a bunch of M1 parts for sale in their ads in Firearm News. They have complete parts kits, accessory kits, clips, slings, bayonets (don’t know about M5, but lots of M7 options). They even have everything to change your M1 to a M1D configuration, if that’s your thing. I might at least order some USGI canvas bags for mine so I look cool going to the range. Cool

Anybody ordered from Sarco? Are they ok nowadays?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post