SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommended books on ARs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended books on ARs Login/Join 
Picture of MrToad
posted
Years ago I had posted a question in another section about learning about shotgunning, primarily as reference materials, and a couple of forum members very kindly made some excellent recommendations.

What are some books on AR-type rifles some of you have found enjoyable and informative, especially with an eye for beginners or a reference towards fundamentals?

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're looking more for weapon manipulation instructions and shooting tactics, rather than history and development of the AR. (But I have some suggestions for good books on the history/development of the AR, if you want that too.)

Green Eyes and Black Rifles: A Warrior's Guide to the Combat Carbine by Kyle Lamb is a good intro book for beginner to intermediate "defensive AR" concepts. It walks you through everything from basic platform manipulation to sighting and sight picture to malfunction clearance to shooting stances/positions to sidearm transitions to maintenance and cleaning to range drills.

Just understand that the book is 12 years old, so while the fundamentals haven't changed, some of the discussions about accessories (lights/rails/optics/slings/etc.) within it are starting to get a little bit dated. Quite a bit of stuff has changed in the ancillary AR15 accessory world in the last decade+.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-E...rriors/dp/0615166547

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Sounds like you're looking more for weapon manipulation instructions and shooting tactics, rather than history and development of the AR. (But I have some suggestions for good books on the history/development of the AR, if you want that too.)

Green Eyes and Black Rifles: A Warrior's Guide to the Combat Carbine by Kyle Lamb is a good intro book for beginner to intermediate "defensive AR" concepts. It walks you through everything from basic platform manipulation to sighting and sight picture to malfunction clearance to shooting stances/positions to sidearm transitions to maintenance and cleaning to range drills.

Just understand that the book is 12 years old, so while the fundamentals haven't changed, some of the discussions about accessories (lights/rails/optics/slings/etc.) within it are starting to get a little bit dated. Quite a bit of stuff has changed in the ancillary AR15 accessory world in the last decade+.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-E...rriors/dp/0615166547

Thanks, Rogue! I'll check this book out. Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for regarding ARs.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Download a free copy of TC-3-22-9, 2016 or later edition. It's the US Army manual on shooting rifles and carbines. It's got some Armyism in it, but large amounts of the materiel came from shooters, competitors and instructors. It also explains a lot of terms for you.

The recommended book Green eyes and black rifes is excellent, I've had a copy for years. The only alternate I can think of is Clint Smith's Urban Rifle, but it is not AR specific.

Another option are training Videos. Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, Pat Rogers and several other reputable instructors have excellent videos available. The Panteo productions website have a number available. I personally recommend Rogers and Howe's level 1 and 2 videos.

The best option in my humble opinion is to find a qualified and reputable instructor and take a hands on class, you'll learn faster and learn proper technique. Unfortunately, you can accidentally teach your self bad habits.

Good on you for wanting to get educated. What direction are you going, Target shooting, competition, self defense? What other questions do you have?

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want books about shooting, or about maintaining?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack, but the title of this thread was what brought me here. I've been looking for a complete glossary of terms for the AR market. I'm learning as I go along, but there are more acronyms than Walking Dead has zombies, which makes understanding the lingo difficult: ACOG, BCG, FSB, SBR, etc. Is there a definitive guide to these terms?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Not trying to hijack, but the title of this thread was what brought me here. I've been looking for a complete glossary of terms for the AR market. I'm learning as I go along, but there are more acronyms than Walking Dead has zombies, which makes understanding the lingo difficult: ACOG, BCG, FSB, SBR, etc. Is there a definitive guide to these terms?

I'm not tracking one. The TC I mentioned above has military acronyms so things like BUIS (Back up Iron sights), ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (A Trijicon optic used by the military)) and CCO (Close Combat Optic) will be in it. Things like FSB (front sight base) or BCG (Bolt Carrier Group), RDS (Red Dot Sight), LPVO (Low Powered Variable Optic) are from the internet/industry terms. SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) somes from Federal law. I'd recommend watching the AR specific forums or asking around.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:

fpuhan, I cannot speak about a definitive guide, but the book RogueJSK recommended might be a step in the right direction as it discusses many of these terms.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a definitive guide to these terms?

Not to send you to another site, but this seems to be where a lot of that stuff got made up -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/gen...AR15_com/169-560217/

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

there is a thread over on AR15.com somewhere, cannot remember where, that is basically a dictionary for all the abbreviations on the interwebs,

including the snarky stuff, and AR related stuff,

as far as the OP,

build and maintenance, as well as shooting (Service Rifle or NM)

keep in mind they may be dated as far as options or flavor of the month, but still good reads, and the shooting skills info is good

Zediker's the Mouse that Roared
http://www.zediker.com/default.html

Tubb's Highpower Rifle

Derrick Martins The Complete Guide to AR-15 Accuracy

maintenance etc,

get the Military Manual

I think the number is 9-1005-319-23M&P

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has some excellent books on the AR platform!!!!!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: Greendale, WI | Registered: September 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post