SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Interarms Mark X .30-06
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interarms Mark X .30-06 Login/Join 
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted
My dad had a Steyr Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5x54 bolt action rifle with the full length stock, the butter knife bolt handle, and the double set triggers. I had to sell it after he passed away to raise money for my mom. I always loved that rifle!

Over a year ago I saw an Interarms Mark X at a local gun store. It had the full length stock and the butter knife bolt handle, but not the double set triggers. It was also in .270 which would be another caliber for me to stock.

Then a month and a half ago I found one with all three extra features in .30-06 on Gunbroker. It was unfired and in perfect condition. The price was an opening bid of $995 and no one else bid so I got it for that price.

When the Mark X arrived, it had an older Tasco illuminated scope mounted on top. I removed it, but the blued rings were terrific. I found a matching vintage mid-1970s blued steel Weaver, Made in the USA, 3-9x38mm scope with nice thin crosshairs on Ebay for $99. I think it matches the vintage mid-1970s of the rifle very well.

I sighted it in at 100 yards with factory Hornady Superformance 150 grain .30-06 rounds:

It sure shoots great!

These rifles' actions were made on original German Mauser machinery in Yugoslavia by Zastava. They're known for superior quality in forged steel and fit and finish. The actions were fitted to barrels and then sent to Manchester England for stocks and final finishing. The blue is deep and lustrous and the stocks are handsome, made the way the old Mannlichers were made.

I was excited to bring this rifle with me to the Shootists Holiday at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. Here's the Mark X next to my custom Ruger 10/22 Takedown with an International stock (yep, you can tell I like these long stocks!):

I really wanted to try shooting this neat older rifle at the White Buffalo. The NRA Whittington Center is a shooter's dream. All kinds of ranges for all kinds of shooting. This particular range has steel falling targets and swingers at long distances. But the really interesting one is the steel outline of a buffalo (painted white) that is wayyyy out there. It's in the center of this photo:

The White Buffalo is at 1123 yards.

Here is a closer up version through another fellow's scope:

Here is me on the left and "the other fellow" on the right spotting for me. He knows his long range stuff. He looked up my Hornady factory load on his iPad and told me to hold a certain distance above the White Buffalo...about 7 feet high. I could still see the buffalo in the lower portion of my vintage Weaver scope, so keeping the vertical crosshair properly positioned was easy.

My third shot hit the White Buffalo.

It takes 2 1/2 seconds for the bullet to travel 1123 yards and then another 1 1/2 seconds for the sound of the steel getting hit to come back. So on a non-windy morning, it takes 5 seconds after the shot to hear, "Gonnnnng!"

Very fun.

I know these Interarms Mark X rifles are terrific guns. I think $995 for this gun was a steal. Lots of people checked it out and everyone comes away impressed.

The front trigger measures 14 ounces on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. I load a .30-06 snap cap in the chamber and let people try pulling the rear trigger first to set the front trigger and, every time, they pull the front trigger accidentally...not realizing how light it really is. I have them work the bolt and try it again and the second time they're very careful and then they say, "Wow!"

-Steve

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Nice find.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Not to disrupt your thread, because that's a beautiful rifle, but your 10/22 Takedown is great as well!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Quite a handsome rifle. Nice shot as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Not to disrupt your thread, because that's a beautiful rifle, but your 10/22 Takedown is great as well!

Thanks!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd love to know if all of the metal work on the Interarms was done by Zastava or there was some "cleanup" work done in either the UK or US. You have a beautiful rifle, but some of their cheaper "fun", self-branded bolt actions were...imperfect in a few ways. It's rifles like yours that always left me thinking that Zastava could give CZ a run for its money someday within the foreseeable future.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Thanks for the history lesson too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mm6mm6:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Thanks!

This sound is me eating my heart out. Beautiful!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'd love to know if all of the metal work on the Interarms was done by Zastava or there was some "cleanup" work done in either the UK or US. You have a beautiful rifle, but some of their cheaper "fun", self-branded bolt actions were...imperfect in a few ways. It's rifles like yours that always left me thinking that Zastava could give CZ a run for its money someday within the foreseeable future.

I spoke with a gentleman who was shooting the White Buffalo as well and he was also using an Interarms Mark X as well. They used to sell either just the actions or just the actions with a barrel in your choice of long or short action calibers. This guy bought the action only and then built his own rifle with a custom barrel and a fiberglass stock, etc.

From what I've read, my gun was blued and the wood fitted in Manchester, England. A little more polish on the action pieces before they were final finished adds the luster.

I can imagine asking a standard factory today to make their rifle with a full length wood stock, hand checkered, and with a butter knife bolt handle, and with a perfect pair of set triggers. The price would be through the roof!

I find these rifles to be quite the bargain.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find these rifles to be quite the bargain.

Big Grin Ah, not necessarily - at least by US standards. CZ doesn't do double triggers (IIRC), but they make some very nice rifles with full-length stocks at prices that even my cheap self is capable of living with.

I certainly agree they're a bargain, and the materials certainly seem to be very good (insofar as my ignorant self can tell). I wish I knew of a US gunsmith with some experience in giving more recent Zastava bolt action rifles just that little bit more polish and fitting - the M85s I've had experience with seem like they'd be fantastic with just a little bit of the right (skilled and knowledgeable) help.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Now that's a fine-looking rifle, sir. Yes, I am positively envious. Big Grin

There's just something about that exact combination of features that's so incredibly elegant.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all wrong with that "vintage", its a gorgeous rig. The Weaver is a nice touch.
Need a nice sling though, maybe lined with green felt?

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Outstanding old rifle & great story!!

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ke Bo Li:
Nothing at all wrong with that "vintage", its a gorgeous rig. The Weaver is a nice touch.
Need a nice sling though, maybe lined with green felt?

I've got some nice slings. The interesting thing is that the sling swivel studs are thin. Too thin to mount a bipod on the front sling. I tried borrowing a bipod but it wouldn't stay on. I ordered new studs for front and rear so I can use a bipod if I desire, but at least a sling.

I will be going on a Wyoming elk hunt in October of 2019. I also have a really nice Savage .30-06 (from about 10 years ago when they were making some really high polish blue and gorgeous wood stocked versions) that I may choose to use. But using this Interarms Mark X would be more fun.

Here's my Savage 114 Classic:

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. Congratulations.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Sure are some purdy sticks here!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles!!!

I also have an Interarms Mark X that started life as a 30-06. I ended up using the receiver for a 35 Whelen I had built for my first trip to Africa. Great guns!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Those Mark X rifles are top notch, and yours is a beauty. Years ago, I had a Mini-Mauser in .223; with the right ammo, it would shoot dime sized groups, and if I really did my part, make nice clovers. I lament ever horse trading off that little gem.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post