SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendation for an AR handguard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for an AR handguard? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Colt 6920 upper coming from G and R Tactical. It is the OEM 2 version, that ships without a handguard. What do people recommend for a handguard?

This upper will be used for range use, possible Simunitions training, and for HD. My preference is for something comfortable and free floating. I am thinking of using a Geissele as the long barrel nut appears to be an excellent engineering design. The price is not much of a factor, as I expect to take advantage of the July 4 sales.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've built two rifles with the ALG Defense EMR. They're lightweight, affordable, thin, have an integrated QD socket, and install without a torque wrench. May be worth waiting to see if they have a July 4th sale.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the new VTAC MLOK handguard. It's made by Troy, priced fairly reasonably, and has held up well through the 1500 rounds or so I've fired through the rifle.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
If you got a Centurion C4 rail you wouldn't have to change the barrel nut.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Out of the ones I've handled. I really like the KMR. I've got a KMR Alpha on my SBR. I like the thin profile of it.

I haven't handled it. But I like the Manticore Arms Transformer rail as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortis also offers a REV II, that is one piece and uses your standard barrel nut.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as very inexpensive goes, I like the Magpul MOE-SL that's on my factory 6920 that came with Magpul furniture. But really, any M-LOK handguard is good to go.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALG Defense EMR

Thanks for the replies, some of those look pretty good, especially the ALG EMR. I probably will use a M-LOK model, regardless of brand.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know nobody recommended what I think are the top suppliers. I prefer the Geissele. Only downside is if your upper is non standard (not your case) like a forged one. Then not workable.
The Noveske is smaller and ultimately has a more universal attachment (works with a VLTOR for example) but since its more money I've done a few but not needed unless issues with the G barrel nut. Also annoyingly the barrel nut wrench is separate. I made mine but someone else might have to wait to find one.
I'm trying the new Daniel defense MFR and it seems very nice. I'd have no issue recommending it as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Check out Aero.

I have two m lock versions of their hand guards. One is waiting to go on my LMT. The quantum is a bargain and I wanted to spruce up my flat top carbine. I got a 9" upper handguard with a low profile adjustable gas block on sale. I need to buy a wrench dammit.

The other is a 7" on a 300BLK pistol. Very solid.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Seekins mcsr v2

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for ALG EMR

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now the selection is down to the ALG EMR, Geissele Mk-14, and the Mega Arms Wedge Lock. The Colt 6920 upper comes in on Friday, I will have to measure the height of the gas block to see what will fit.

Aero Precision and Midwest Ind. are also possibilities.

-c1steve