SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend a 100yd scope for ar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a 100yd scope for ar Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
You actually don't want a reticle that is illuminated too brightly as it can wash out the rest of your sight picture.

Ditto on that. I had to put a piece of neutral density photographic filter in the light path of the reticle illumination of my Leupold “Prismatic” sight for that reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
From bebbies to 300lbers. Was planning on using 110gr Barnes.

Thanks. As I say, just curious what’s considered appropriate for the task.

About 7 years ago, a colleague invited me to go wild pig hunting at night on a farm about 30 miles from the house.

I elected to take an AR for the task. I ordered and received some Swift Sirocco II 75gr bullets and simply copied a 77gr SMK load using the Swift. At that time, the only scope I had with an illuminated reticle was my old Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44 with a MilDot reticle. The Nikon had 5 settings in green and another 5 settings in red, just in the middle of the MilDot. Very nice scope. I mounted it on a 20 inch barrel AR and zeroed it at 100 yards. The load turned out to be very accurate, pure luck but I'll take it.

The day of the hunt, I drove to the ranch and we waited for night to fall telling tall tales and other fantasies. Around 10:00PM, we got our gear and went outside to an area where we had detected some piggish activity, a hole in a fence. We decided to break our group of 5 people into two teams and discussed areas of fire. I went with another guy to a location about 500 yards away from the other team, and we positioned ourselves with a copse of trees at our back and we were facing north with a field going from right to left. The other team was on our right, like I said about 500 yards away and they were also facing north. Then we waited.

Around 11:00PM, the Moon was out and we could see the field vaguely and the trees on the other side and we just sat quietly about 20 yards apart. I was the one at the end on the left. I was scanning around with my scope, enjoying the fact I could see quite well at 2.5X and the reticle was set on low green. It was perfect, but I could not see or hear any pig activity. It was quiet.

About 11:45PM, we heard gunfire on the right. The first team was shooting at something. Several rounds were heard, then nothing. A few minutes later, I detected some shapes coming down the field on our right, a couple hundred yards away. I brought up the AR and looked in the scope at the shapes.

There was a sounder on the run, at high speed coming from our right and heading west, to our left. Mindful of the agreed-to fields of fire, I waited until the sounder was more to the front of me and then I aimed at the biggest one of the group, moved the crosshair to be in front of his nose and that that time, my buddy started shooting his bolt action. The pigs pushed the throttle into the afterburner position and I cut loose. I heard a thwack, rumpf, crash and I looked for another one and shot twice more. Then everything was quiet and the sounder was gone.

I safed my AR, called out to my buddy to check that he was doing the same and then we started walking forward. I could see a shape on the ground where I had fired my first shot. We came up onto a dead hog. He was a big one. I started looking for another one that I thought I had hit, but there was no other. I came back to the dead one and by that time, the other team was coming towards us. I paced back to my chair; 87 paces. The others arrived and of course we talked. They all said they could not see much of anything through any of their scopes, 3-9 and similar but with smaller objectives. I was the only one who got a pig, because I was the only one who could actually see the target through my scope and the green IR allowed me to position it perfectly. On guy did say he could see the shapes, but he could not make out the reticle.

We went to get the golf cart with a trailer, loaded up the dead pig and took it back to the farmhouse. It showed up as 285lbs or so on the scale. We actually recovered the 75gr Swift bullet and it had mushroomed perfectly. Before you ask, I was the only one with an AR, the others has 30-06s and .308 bolts. The bullet had done a number on the neck of the pig and he crashed right there, lights out. A lucky shot, but I'll take it.

The big objective of the scope really helped and as I said, I kept it at 2.5X. The illuminated reticle was awesome.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms 3X prismatic scope, with the ACSS reticle for the .300 AAC Blackout/7.62X39mm. they run about $259.00, clear glass (not Leupold clear, but damn good).

I have a 2.5X prismatic scope with the ACSS reticle for 5.56X45mm and out to 300 yard (as far as I have used it) it's been on. I also have a 1-6X scope with the ACSS reticle and it too they are both great bargains.

They all have etched reticle, so batteries go dead you still have a black reticle. The illumination is day time bright.

I'm very happy with the Primary Arms scopes that I have, as a matter of fact I'm getting ready to buy this exact scope, the 3X prismatic scope with the ACSS reticle for the .300 AAC Blackout/7.62X39mm, for a SBR upper build.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I know you said it's going on a pistol...
But the SpotOn option of the Nikon P223 3x32 is why I mounted this on my 16" 300blackout.
It was unused in my safe but with the 147gr ammunition I bought in bulk it works great.
Aimpoint on my two 300blk pistols.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about that primary scope. I like that it works for ak too as i am kicking around using the saiga instead.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is going on an AR pistol I would want something with extended eye relief such as a hand gun scope or a scout rifle scope. I know both Leupold and Burris make such a scope. Most rifle scopes have too short of eye relief.

https://www.leupold.com/huntin...opes/handgun-scopes/

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post