SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who's doing PCP? PCP airgunners, a moment of your time.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's doing PCP? PCP airgunners, a moment of your time. Login/Join 
Picture of RaiseHal
posted
Please tell us what you have and your impressions of it.

I'm looking at purchasing a high quality target pistol and a couple of rifles.

I like the idea of the AirForce TexanSS for a thumper, and maybe a Hammerli AP 20 Pro pistol / AR 20 Pro rifle combo to try 10m.

My intro into PCP was the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow that I purchased last year. Its pretty damn cool in it's own rite.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give me a call,
425 301 0790

I have several pcp air rifles. 22, 30, 357 cal.

I will say there are big-ticket extraneous costs most new airgunners don't realize.

1 a proper 4500 psi tank
2 a proper in line moisture trap,
3 proper hoses in fittings standardized across your guns suitable for 4500 psi.
4 a secondary compressor being the largest big ticket item that can go up to 4500 psi.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
Please tell us what you have and your impressions of it.

I'm looking at purchasing a high quality target pistol and a couple of rifles.

I like the idea of the AirForce TexanSS for a thumper, and maybe a Hammerli AP 20 Pro pistol / AR 20 Pro rifle combo to try 10m.

My intro into PCP was the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow that I purchased last year. Its pretty damn cool in it's own rite.

The AP20 is a good pistol. Therer is nothing wrong with it and it works. The nice thing about it is, it can be upgraded with parts from the LP400 whe your shooting improves. If you choose one have your focus on the AP20 Professional. It's the same pistol but has better grips and comes with a horizontal Walther LP400 cylinder. It comes with the same features you will finde in supersporters like a Steys, Morinis or Walthers, but it does not have the same range of adjustablity like those pistols. Such extras begin to matter when you are staring to shoot on a national level with or when you get close to a score of 550 (1" group size with 60 shots off hand at 11yds), but not before. It's a very long way to get there, but the Hämmerli can do it without any problems . A good alternative to the AP20 is the Matchguns MG1 with mechanical trigger. It's about in the same price range but would be my personal choice. I like the adjusability range of their trigger better and the dry firing concept has been solved better IMO.

The AR20 is a good rile as well but it's concept is not as vesatile as the concept of the AP20 and it wont take you as far in competition as the AP20 does because AR is leaving way less room for errors then AP does, which cannot be compesated with an accessories update. In this pariculare case I either would safe money for a Walther or a Steyr or look for rilfe of the previouls generation like a well equipped Feinwerkbau of the 600 series or similar.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have had a Benjamin Marauder for about four years in 22 caliber.
It is what I could afford but I really liked the pricey English side cocker one a friend brought for me to try
Darn thing was in the two k ring.
I have over one k in all my setup.
Two used dive tanks,to fill setups and three on the scope.
This started a couple years back.
The pissy part with gov regs requires dive shop where I get refills is to take top off and scope it That is 25 a pop ,air is only 8.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older AP40 and it has been far more accurate than I am since I got it. flawless in terms of mechanism, etc. I purchased a walther rifle at the same time what is now I think the LG400. It has not been very good. Problems of many kinds. Where I to buy another I'd probably try the anshutz but of course you didn't really give us a budget range.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Well, all the Bejamins, RedRiders, Daisys etc are fine guns but have to be considered plinkers or field guns, and far far away form that the OP is looking for.

Neither one of the mentioned is suited to be even close to fit the regulation of 10m AP pistols, neither internationa ISSF nor NRA not even considering performance. It therfore suggest to the OP to download either one of the rulebooks to get a better understanding of what is legal to use in such competiton and what's not.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
This is THE forum for precision air pistol/rifle shooters:

http://www.targettalk.org

I got into this several years ago and set up a range in my basement. I started with a Baikal IZH-46M single stroke and moved up to an Anschutz LP@Jr air pistol and a Hill floor pump. The Anschutz line was basically the same as Steyr.

AnschutzLPJr by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post