SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Spotting Scope For Under $200.00?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope For Under $200.00? Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at purchasing a spotting scope and I would like to stay under $200.00 and looking for input please.

Most of the use will be at 100 yards but it would be nice to be able to spot 5.56 rounds at 200. Another nice feature would be the phone camera adapter included or available since I wear glasses and relief might be a problem.
Not planning any big hunts so weight really doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was unable to find a lower end spotting scope that provided adequate resolution to visualize .22 caliber holes at 100 yards.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My Konus 20-60x80 scope does a good job. .22 at 200 yards is a little iffy but doable with high contrast targets. I can't remember the cost, but it was between $250 and $300.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Konus, Barska, Gosky, and several others look very similar...are they pretty much the same Chinese scopes?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
The Konus, Barska, Gosky, and several others look very similar...are they pretty much the same Chinese scopes?

Konus scopes are made in Italy, at least they were when I bought mine around 5 years ago.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:

Konus scopes are made in Italy, at least they were when I bought mine around 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info Jim. I get most of my sights/scopes on Optic's Planet and they will usually deal a bit off list price. I see Konus is on OP and will look a little closer.

Jim

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get most of my sights/scopes on Optic's Planet
That seller has a terrible reputation here on SIGforum. Proceed with caution.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I’ve been buying from OP for 7-8 years and never had a problem and actually consider them near the very top of all online vendors I do business with. What kind of problems?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of problems?
They have a reputation for selling things that they do not have in stock, excessively long times to fill these orders (drop-shipped from their source?), non-responsive customer service.

Most reports about them have been negative.

You might be one of the lucky exceptions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What kind of problems?
They have a reputation for selling things that they do not have in stock, excessively long times to fill these orders (drop-shipped from their source?), non-responsive customer service.

Most reports about them have been negative.

You might be one of the lucky exceptions.

Most of the time when I order items they are not in stock and have to be ordered but I don’t believe I’ve had to wait longer than 2 weeks...placed 6 orders this year and no problems.
Not doubting that people have had problems but not for me

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I see a Celestron Ultima 20-60x80 for $189.49/on Amazon. That was a quick search so I’m sure there are more out there.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran across a lightly used Bushnell Trophy XLT 20-60 Spotting Scope used for zeroing by owner and got it shipped to my door for $82.00.

posted Hide Post
I know some may laugh at this scope but, I bought a Emarth 20x60x60 on Amazon on a lightning deal and paid $46.74 before tax. I used it today at 100 yards to spot my 7.62 rounds and it’s gteat for the price. Optics are clear enough for that price. Same results when using my 5.56 rounds, I can see my shots. I recommend considering it.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I bought this one on amazon. It's fine for use at the range, and mounting your cellphone on it is easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I bought this one on amazon. It's fine for use at the range, and mounting your cellphone on it is easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How does that phone adapter work? I’m looking for one that will hold a small tablet.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Look for one of these on ebay or other places

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Took me nearly three months to get a pair of “in stock” Maui Jim’s from OP while my order was “processing”.

As for spotting scopes, I bought a Bushnell Trophy Xtreme from Amazon for $189 last year (for birding mostly) and have been extremely happy with it. Currently unavailable, of course, or I’d give you a link, but it was a good value. I’d assume the same of their current model.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Look for one of these on ebay or other places

I bought a Balscope Sr like you have pictured for $70 with a Freeland saddle head tripod. Sold the tripod for $150 or so. I missed another with a Freeland offhand stand for similar money. Deals are out there to be had on vintage equipment. You might also get lucky and find a GI M49 scope for cheap. I've seen a few sell in the sub $200 hundred range in useable shape with varying degrees of accessories.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have had no issues with OP. So I guess I am another one of the lucky ones.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm going to second the Konus scope. Under $200 is a crap shoot for rifle distances because in that price range you won't be getting either good glass, multi coatings, or both. I've used Konus out to 600 yards, and it's almost on par with Kowa in terms of veiwing quality.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post