SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli super Vinci ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli super Vinci ??? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I’m looking to get set up for some serious goose and duck hunting as I’m planning a few cool trips this year. In the past I’ve just shot ducks with a pump action 12g with 2 3/4 shells but I want something nicer, faster and cooler for these 2 trips I have coming up, plus the area I’m moving to has some excellent waterfowl hunting.

I want something that can take the 3.5” magnum shells. I had the chance to try both the super black eagle 3 and the super Vinci (as well as the super nova but it’s a pump). I really liked the look and fee of the super Vinci and I think that’s what I want to get.

Does anybody here have one? Any advice or thoughts or other models I should check out, I’m not much of a bird hunter but Hoping to change that.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Vinci Córdoba that I use for doves, tower pheasant, and clays. I like the gun a lot. I have an SBE2 that I use for turkey and waterfowl. I’ve never put the Vinci through a real torture test, but the SBE has been dragged through brush and mud, partially dunked, bathed in central Florida dust, and banged around in my truck and buggy- and it’s never skipped a beat. Hard not to recommend the SBE as an all around, do all shotgun.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, the SBE is a top choice. Do you think you’ll be shooting a lot of 3.5” steel? There are a lot better shells than steel shot, but they cost more(non-tox waterfowl loads).

The only real reason to get the 3.5” chamber is for the steel shells. Just mentioning this in case a 3” chamber will do. Maybe you want to match a buddy, to share shells, whatever.

I have a Benelli M2 and then a Browning Gold for 12 ga semi-autos, been just fine and then light enough for other uses.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A friend had a Vinci for a time. I sure wasn't crazy about how it looked or how it came apart, but it seemed to fit me perfectly out of the box because I hit with it like I'd been shooting it all my life.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Yes, the SBE is a top choice. Do you think you’ll be shooting a lot of 3.5” steel? There are a lot better shells than steel shot, but they cost more(non-tox waterfowl loads).

The only real reason to get the 3.5” chamber is for the steel shells. Just mentioning this in case a 3” chamber will do. Maybe you want to match a buddy, to share shells, whatever.

I have a Benelli M2 and then a Browning Gold for 12 ga semi-autos, been just fine and then light enough for other uses.

I’m not sure how much 3.5 I’d really be shooting and I’ve never messed with the stuff before, it’s just what was suggested to me by my buddy. I guess that mainly, I like the idea of having the option even if it’s something I don’t use regularly.

And yeah, the super Vinci is a strange looking gun but I already have lots of normal looking guns.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use a 24in Vinci for turkeys, I don't use 3.5in shells so the Vinci works for me. If you can get past the looks it's a nice gun. I use a Legacy for dove and and Ethos for pheasants and clays. My duck and goose gun is a Beretta A400. The Vinci is a very underrated gun. I can't necessarily comment on the reliability and minds being used for turkeys, I only have 100 to so rounds through it....but those were flawless and I haven't cleaned it yet.....but will after this week when the season is over.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting geese, you will need 3.5 in shells. Anything less and they will bounce right off.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
If you are shooting geese, you will need 3.5 in shells. Anything less and they will bounce right off.

I don’t know about that, I was thinking more for a bit of extra range.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just for reference, look to ‘denser than lead’ rounded pellets. A good many of the nontoxic pellets from recent years became to expensive to produce, then sell for a profit.

Here are some good offerings from Backridge Ammunition, retailers may be sparse though.

http://backridgeammunition.com/shells/12-gauge/

When I’ve been out I’ve used lessor shells for ‘cleanup’ or possibly the 1st shot(closer). One can make the costlier ammo go further. Just saying, a good 3” load of ‘high density’ shot will have a good amount more energy than any 3.5” steel load.

Some of the 3.5” chamber discussion can depend on what else one may use the shotgun for. I may go down as light as grouse & woodcock. That may be less of an issue in AK with full power loads used for most things.

Just some general musings on the subject.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't own one by love the fit and love how it comes apart. Certainly looks funny though. I'd learn towards the SBEII (I've killed a slew of ducks with one and its just the best shotgun in the world imo) but I think a Vinci would serve well, too.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
When comparing the cost of the Super Vinci and the SBEII it s hard not to recommend the SBEII. the Vinci is quite a bit cheaper but no 3.5in.

To get this thread really heated, if youre in that price range, look at the Beretta A400 or A350. the A350 is cheaperthan all the guns mentioned and is 90% of an A400 for 2/3 the cost.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Do you like the placement of the safety on the Vinci? To me, that is a deal killer and would send me to the SBE III or an M2 if you were stuck on Benelli. As someone else mentioned, I’ve had no problem with a 3” chamber hunting waterfowl so an M2 would be a slighter cheaper option. And to really really mix things up, have you considered a Browning A-5? IMO the “humpback” gives you a longer and better sight picture. I also prefer Browning’s speed load feature.

Edited to add: I have a NIB SBE I (yes I) that I have never fired. I bought it years ago because I thought I needed the 3.5” capability but never found the need. However, if I was heading out for a once in a life-time hunt, I’d get whatever my guide/outfitter recommended.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Browning...0 year warranty. Benelli...10 years.

posted Hide Post
Hi guys, Thanks for all the responses, I’ll be trying a few of these out again later in the week. I did have the chance to shoot the supernova and that was cool.

posted Hide Post
I have a super Vinci I used for trap. I like it. Very soft shooting.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've a Vinci and generally have been pleased with it. Aside from disliking light target loads (a common thing with the Vinci/Super Vinci) it's otherwise been a great shooter. Anything 1oz or less and it doth protests, and quite vehemently.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The A5 is sweet too, I suppose I should check those out as well, I guess I’m not married to the idea of the Benelli, I just want to get something cool now that I know a few dudes who take their ducks and geese seriously in AK. I never really got serious about bird hunting, it’s always been an opportunistic thing for me, especially since I moved to AK. In fact, I shot a duck on Saturday when I wasn’t even out hunting them, just out on a walk with my wife and dragging my weatherby pa-08 around just in case. I bumped 2 of them when I wasn’t even expecting it and the flew out like 20 feet from us. Unfortunately I missed a double and just got the one.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
‘Shot a duck Saturday’? Is there ‘subsistence’ hunting open? Seems an odd time for any type of Waterfowl season.

I really like the looks of the A-5 Browning, but there are a few negatives. The older one’s may not be the best for steel shot. Most will have a fixed choke barrel. One also usually sets up the spring and ‘friction pieces’ for a certain load, less an issue for high power loads.

May be less available in AK, but I see slightly used semi-autos at a fair discount. Even the Browning Gold, slightly used is a fine all around option.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
In fact, I shot a duck on Saturday when I wasn’t even out hunting them, just out on a walk with my wife and dragging my weatherby pa-08 around just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
‘Shot a duck Saturday’? Is there ‘subsistence’ hunting open? Seems an odd time for any type of Waterfowl season.

Making final preparations for a fishing trip near Ketchikan. Our fishing guide was not aware of duck season this time of year. So I perused the Alaska waterfowl regulations. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, duck season runs September through January, depending upon unit.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I have a fancy SBE II that I absolutely adore. Dead-nuts reliable with anything from trap loads to 3.5" goose loads, low recoil, and I shoot it very well.

I personally don't care for the Auto-5 or anything else that's long-recoil operated. They kick, and I'm not a big guy, so we don't get along. I used to have a Remington 1148 in 28 gauge that was less pleasant than my Benelli with 3.5" super mags.

I do think the 3.5" gun is a good idea. I'd rather shoot 3.5" steel at $0.75 a round than 3" tungsten for triple that, considering they both whack the shit out of ducks. Knocked down a few with some Black Cloud Federals last fall at 70 yards with an extended extra full, and they were dead before they hit the water.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post