SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG 55x owners...removing flash hider tips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 55x owners...removing flash hider tips Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I've got a couple of 55x examples I need to remove the flash hiders on for suppressors. Any tips/tricks? I gave up on a previous 551-A1 and had my SOT do it for me.

I've got a Sig import 553, 522 and 556R I've got cans for. It seems its either super high torque or brazing on some of these from the factory. Heat, solvents, leverage....nothing seemed to work before.

Pic because we all like pics

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The 553 is 1/2x28 FYI. I just removed the hand guards and put the upper in a vise, came off fairly easily. My 551a1 was pretty brutal.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Well, that's encouraging....I'm hopeful then. What part did you clamp in the vise? Not much to go on with the 553 of course.

posted Hide Post
I've had no issues. Barrel in barrel vise and wrench off. Nothing like rocksett or locktite or anything else visible.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Well, that's encouraging....I'm hopeful then. What part did you clamp in the vise? Not much to go on with the 553 of course.

I clamped the barrel itself, like hrcjon mentioned no loctite or anything that I noticed, although I did heat it just incase.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My 551-A1 appeared to have been copper brazed in place

posted Hide Post
I didn't have any problems getting my 551A1 hider off. Don't remember doing anything special and there wasn't any indication of any thread locker or anything else on the threads.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to use a barrel vice to remove the flash hider on my 522. It was very tight.

Posts: 403 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
I thought some of the Swiss/SAN barrelled weapons had the flash hider as integral (lathed with) the actual barrel.. at least one of my SG 551-2's is like this - barrel and hider are one piece of metal..

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
I thought some of the Swiss/SAN barrelled weapons had the flash hider as integral (lathed with) the actual barrel.. at least one of my SG 551-2's is like this - barrel and hider are one piece of metal..

Some of the the Swiss guns like the 551 do have the integral FH. But I think all of the US made 55x guns have a threaded barrel.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:

Some of the the Swiss guns like the 551 do have the integral FH. But I think all of the US made 55x guns have a threaded barrel.

Ditto ... My 551 barrel/flash hider is integral however my 552 has the same thread as an AK, 14x1 RH IIRC, off hand it seems that my 553 is 1/2x28, same as my 556's ... Except for the 556R and P556Xi 762 which are both 5/8x24 ... None of mine had a thread locker/sealer and all came off fairly easily with the proper wrench.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
proper 14" barrel 551's have integral flash hiders. All versions built by SigSauer have been removable however.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Does the 553 pistol have a removable FH or is it integral as well?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Does the 553 pistol have a removable FH or is it integral as well?

The 553 pistols I've seen all had threaded barrels with removable flash hiders. In fact the first batch that arrived in the U.S. didn't have any muzzle attachments, threaded barrels only.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post