SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HK MP5 Demilled Build Kits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK MP5 Demilled Build Kits? Login/Join 
posted
Looking at getting a HK MP5. Considering a demilled kit, have it rebuilt....

Anyone go this route? Who rebuilt it?

Thanks

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a pre ban mp5 upforsale on rock island auctions right now.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
HKparts.net has the parts and and the demilled kits. They also sell new parts and flats. Check out HKPRO for builders. There are other vendors. Most agree LSC flats are the best but other flats seem to work well too.

Haven’t I seen several items you have fabricated? You can do this on your own. You need a small to medium sized shop press, small welder and the press jig to bend and weld the flat. You should be able to sell the jig when you have no more use for it.

I am going to build some soon. Just looking for time.

Unless you are dead set on building or would not purchase a firearm made in Turkey, I would recommend you check out the Zenith series guns. Very high quality built so licensed spec.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Looking at getting a HK MP5. Considering a demilled kit, have it rebuilt....

Anyone go this route? Who rebuilt it?

Thanks

Fairly new to the HK arena is the Omega sold by Atlantic as complete firearms or without a fire control group/lower ... But they aren't HK and I'm not sure if there are any HK parts in them. All I can tell you is my experiance with my MP5SD and MP5K has been stellar. I've heard a couple early units had problems with the cage on the SD being slightly canted but it was taken care of imminently, and they are also guaranteed by Atlantic ... and if it matters some models are available in 40S&W and 10mm and all are sear ready.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
HKparts.net . . .
Is that place still in business after the owner went to prison?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
HKparts.net . . .

The website is up and running with current site licensing. Their social media sites have recent posts and they have recent customer feed back...sure looks like they are in business.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
HKparts.net . . .

Yes, they've separated the business from Adam Weber. There were a few posts about it over on HKPro around the time Adam was sentenced.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
HKparts.net has the parts and and the demilled kits. They also sell new parts and flats. Check out HKPRO for builders. There are other vendors. Most agree LSC flats are the best but other flats seem to work well too.

Haven’t I seen several items you have fabricated? You can do this on your own. You need a small to medium sized shop press, small welder and the press jig to bend and weld the flat. You should be able to sell the jig when you have no more use for it.

I am going to build some soon. Just looking for time.

Unless you are dead set on building or would not purchase a firearm made in Turkey, I would recommend you check out the Zenith series guns. Very high quality built so licensed spec.

Henryrifle

I've looked into bending/welding a flat myself. Have the tig welding skills and press to do it. Studying what's needed to properly bend/straighten/weld.... I would be into the fixtures for about $1600.

https://www.robertrtg.com/stor...Build-Parts-c132.htm

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
You are at the best spot for parts. He has the LSC flats. To bad you don’t live near Atlanta. Would need to build several to make it worth it. They are really great braced pistols or SBRs and doubly so with subsonic ammo and a suppressor.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Is there a demand used HK receiver tools?

They're fairly expensive new, but what do they typically bring as "used" tools?

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
kimberkid - glad for an opportunity to respond to a few things in this thread. From other posts I know you have at least one full auto MP5 and you are knowledgeable about the platform and I respect your opinion. Your positive statements about the Omega are encouraging. I say that because of my enthusiasm for the MP5 platform. It seems like it is on the cusp of a resurgence and I want people to have positive experiences with them in hopes that the market will expand and some innovation will occur.

I have spoken with a few of the folks selling MP5 clone and licensed pistols/SBRs and the reviews of the Omega from them were mixed. I am not saying anything bad because I have no personal experience other than making a decision not to purchase one.

I have a couple of Zeniths, an RS and Z-5P, both with SB Tactical braces and while not full auto, both have been flawless from the first shot. I have been tempted by the Omega and the POFs but have not done anything about that yet. Will be interesting to see what happens with the PSA "clone" later this ear and the PTR version.

To answer your question about demand for tooling, if you read the boards where people are making receivers out of flats, there is some demand for lower cost (used) tooling. The jig works for a lot more than just the MP5. There are several other firearms like the CETME and others that would utilize the same receiver folding jig. The demand is limited to a small niche but does exist.

Henryrifle

posted Hide Post
henryrifle,

looked at the Zenith offerings, unfortunately can't put my hands on them locally. How many rounds do you have through your RS?

What would you be willing pay to rent the flat bending tooling?

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
What I have is a registered sear ... so I can switch it from gun to gun by only changing the ejector to match the caliber and depending on the model maybe the grip frame.

As I mentioned above, I've heard a couple early units had problems but all problems I've heard of were care of at Omega's expense and the owner was usually compensated with a couple mags, and they are also guaranteed by Atlantic.

My experience was that when I bought my SD barreled receiver, the text in the description said to add your favorite lower and suppressor (or something like that) It didn't says that your favorite suppressor had to be an SD suppressor. So when I got it I couldn't add my favorite suppressor because I only had a tri-lug mount and a direct thread adapter which didn't play well with the SD design. I complained about it and a week or so later I got a call from one of the guys at Atlantic and he offered to switch it out for an SD that used an MP5K barrel with a tri-lug mount, which wasn't available to the public yet ... it was my complaint that spurred the creation of the design but is now a standard item so if you own a suppressor with a tri-lug or 1/2x28 thread you can use it instead of having to buy an SD suppressor.

I turned down the offer because in that time I had worked with a machinist to make a custom adapter to make my suppressor work ... so then he offered me $100 off any other one of their products ... which is how I ended up with the MP5K (that I was going to buy anyway).

My thing with the Omega is that its sear-ready you don't have to go out and buy a different bolt carrier as with the Zenith, you don't have to had machine work done on it to make it sear ready as with the SP5 ... its just ready to go. I was impressed with the fit as mine were on par with any Genuine HK 9x or MP weapon I've owned, if not a bit better ... the only thing I don't care for is the glossy finish, I'd preferred it be more like a satin or flat finish.

I've heard good things about the Zenith and the HK and if you're not going to be shooting FA then that point is moot, but because of their quality and customer service, I'm an Omega fan.

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
offgrid - I am going to keep sitting on the sidelines of this one for now. For me, this is a put your money where you mouth is moment and I lack the time to get involved with another project. My neighbor is a machinist, welder and gun guy. He is very interested in this project too. At some point we are going to pickup a jig and carefully build a few with the idea of building several more.

Regarding round count through the RS, I'd estimate 4000 or so. I have about 500 through the Z-5P. I use a Ti-Rant 45 on both of mine that has a JB Tactical (no longer available) three-lug adapter. AAC makes a three-lug adapter now. It was scarce (vaporware) when I picked up the JB Tactical.

I shoot 147 gr. X-tremes through mine loaded with 3.4 grs. N320. No sonic crack, no smoke, smooth cycling and very quiet.

kimberkid - appreciate your datapoints. I do hope we continue to see more interest in the platform that drives some innovation. I have the MI hand guard on the RS.

Henryrifle

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Zenith MP5 clone for a friend thru Atlantic (Zenith, even tho they are close to me, want a hellacious minimum order)

he likes it a lot,
came with a brace, cannot remember which,

he has 500+ rounds thru it now with out any issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post