SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR10 what should I consider, from where?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR10 what should I consider, from where? Login/Join 
Picture of heisrizn
posted
Have a close friend looking for an AR10

What say yes brain trust?

Thx in advance.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It depends.

What's he wanting to do with his AR10? Poke holes in paper from a bench? Home defense? Run and gun competition? Patrol rifle? Hunting, and if so, what kind?

With .308 ARs, it's easy to end up with a 10+ pound hunk that wouldn't necessarily be the best option for hunting on foot, or home defense, or the like. But those are fine for hunting from a fixed position, or shooting from a bench.

Then there are some companies that offer lighter weight .308 ARs with a modified design - so-called SF or G2 designs - that are similar in weight to an AR15 (~7ish pounds).

Budget is also an important consideration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Easiest way to get a quality AR 10 without a bunch of proprietary stuff is to buy an Aero.

CMMg makes a decent rifle too, but my personal bias is Aero.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
esdunbar so those 5 new scars didn't convince you that's a good answer here?> In any case as RogueJSK says what exactly do you want from it? Because the situation varies from pedestrian to exotic with lots of stops in between. I own a bunch Larue, DD, Knights, Sig. and shot a bunch owned by others that seem ok. But just like anything there is a trade-off between capability and price. More data needed to give some context.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Slippery Pete posed the same question a while back, there's 5 pages of good AR10 info HERE

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Price point obvious consideration.

Looking between:
Rock River BT3,
POF Edge,
PSA Gen3 pa10,
S&W M&P10

Those are the ones that I believe it comes down to.

Thoughts on these rifles? Any glaring issues or great points that stand out with each that would influence?

Thx for the help.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, for longevity I would look to the S&W MP10 or the Aero Precision offerings.

I bought a Colt CM762 because they were blowing them out last summer (not currently available but supposed to be coming back this fall) but if I hadn't, I would have gone with one of those two for a "general purpose AR10" rifle.

If you are looking at a precision type rig, that changes the conversation and price point significantly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of options. The performance you're after will dictate what's appropriate.

KAC
DD
JP
Ruger
LMT
POF
RR
S&W
Noveske
Aero
Larue
Del ton
Colt
PWS
Sig
HK
DPMS
Wilson
Stag
Bushy/ Windham
PSA
GAP
Seekins
Barret
LWRC

Or you can build or have one built. I'm sure I forgot 20 more options.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
There's a lot of options. The performance you're after will dictate what's appropriate.

KAC
DD
JP
Ruger
LMT
POF
RR
S&W
Noveske
Aero
Larue
Del ton
Colt
PWS
Sig
HK
DPMS
Wilson
Stag
Bushy/ Windham
PSA
GAP
Seekins
Barret
LWRC

Or you can build or have one built. I'm sure I forgot 20 more options.

And you didn't even alphabetize the list!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with my Armalite AR-10B. I would not recommend the B model to anyone as it has been discontinued. It takes a different magazine than the A model, but I have several (ok, more than several) and they are steel.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the POF Revolution, ideally in 6.5 Creedmoor? Looks good to me, and the POF AR-15s I have are extremely accurate, foul little, and never had a stoppage.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I'm quite happy with my M&P10. Hard to beat.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I traded my PSA AR10 for a PSL and enjoy it a lot more!

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
On your list I would go PSA or S&W

Some great deals on .308 AR's right now. I would not wait forever

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Thx guys

posted Hide Post
POF Rogue is -6lbs.
I've got a 14'5 pinned P308 that is unfrikkin' real !!

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
What about the POF Revolution, ideally in 6.5 Creedmoor? Looks good to me, and the POF AR-15s I have are extremely accurate, foul little, and never had a stoppage.

My P415 and P308 are 8 years old with probably 2500-3000 each through them and I've had no problem, ever.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Armalite DEF10. I got mine NIB for $900, from a dealer.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A lot of variability ~ are you just looking for a battle rifle aka just throwing big rounds down range or something with accuracy?
If the latter then all good (also more expensive) fundamentals apply.
Such a the barrel, the ammo, optics, the trigger and of course the user ability.
One of these for me would be JP Rifles or PWS if I already didn't have 3 Mega Arms MA TEN's ~ all with good barrels, Giesselle Triggers and good optics plus I hand load.
Which leads me back to JP Rifles ~ you can't go wrong there. Cool

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
When I was looking I checked out LMT, Larue, JP, & GAP. Ended up getting the GAP-10 but all of these were nice rifles & reviews were good.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post