SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations on a red dot for SAN 551-2?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on a red dot for SAN 551-2? Login/Join 
posted
Was thinking about throwing a red dot on my SAN and I was wondering if anyone is having success with any in particular? Cheek riser only? Any way of co-witnessing in the CQB diopter setting? What issues have you come across?

DCFD4

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
All depends on what sights you're running. Are you using an accessory rail? An Aimpoint Micro will cowitness on a railed 553 with N+ front sight. The same optic on a B&T rail on my diopter 551 will not be absolute cowitness.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes to the B&T rail and I have an N+ front sight. Wondering if I should just use my cheek riser with an optic and not worry about trying to co-witness

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the 551-2 is a welded diopter rear, right? I found it way too busy to run the B&T mount and Aimpoint on my diopter 553. Def run a riser and go over it.

I'm a fan of just irons only if diopter or no rear and Aimpoint on a flip-down front on this platform.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea it’s welded. I’ve been running it with just the diopters for years now and have become quite proficient with them. Just thought it would be fun to try something different on it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
the 551-2 is a welded diopter rear, right? I found it way too busy to run the B&T mount and Aimpoint on my diopter 553. Def run a riser and go over it.

I'm a fan of just irons only if diopter or no rear and Aimpoint on a flip-down front on this platform.

I completely agree.

I hate co-witness with a red dot and SAN diopters. It’s way too cluttered in my opinion. I prefer the optic to be a bit taller to clear the sights. I now leave my diopter sight 55x rifles irons only and only outfit my pic rail 55x rifles with optics.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. I didn't think trying to co-witness would work out well. Since I have diopters maybe I'll give it a try with a rail and a cheek riser. Or just leave that thing of beauty alone and run it as is....

posted Hide Post
I use a T1 on my 551 clone with the SAN diopter/rail combo. Works for me.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
SIG used to offer a QD mound base with adapters that will lift the RDS above the diopter line.
My set up on the PE90 is a SIG QD mount, SIG STANAG adapter, Swiss Kern RV RDS. There´s MIL-STD 1913 adapters as well used for optics without STANAG interface.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
I use a low rail and a Aimpoint ML3 on mine. This way I can cowitness, the front post doesn't bother me. Before I experimented with different (higher) rails and the height bothered me, also I didn't like the cheek riser much. The weight of the higher rail didn't help much, either. As we all know, the SIG rifles are heavy already.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen. I'll definitely experiment with a few of those.