SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up another LE6920, but need advice...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up another LE6920, but need advice... Login/Join 
Picture of Sammael
posted
So I got another LE6920, this time an OEM-2, which is great because I wanted to put an extended rail on her and make her into a 'dissipator' style build.

However, the guy I got it from had the shop put furntiure on it, which means - handguard cap and delta ring kit.

Soooo, I guess what I need to know is:

Are there extended rails out there that do NOT have the cutout for the A2 front sight? Everything I have seen thus far that would just 'snap right on' seems to be cut for the A2 front.

Or is this going to limit me to removing the handguard cap (and maybe the delta ring setup) and starting all over from scratch in order to do what I originally wanted to with this rifle?

Pics:

Thanks folks,

Sam

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Going to limit you to removing the handguard cap. If I understand your question right. Dissipator's use a full length rifle hand guard.

You might be better off just buying a Dissipator upper complete.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:

Or is this going to limit me to removing the handguard cap (and maybe the delta ring setup) and starting all over from scratch in order to do what I originally wanted to with this rifle?

Pics:

Thanks folks,

Sam

Probably this. Gun shop guy is an idiot, spent a little time and $ defeating the purpose of the OEM 2 only to cause you to spend time and $ un-doing it! How the heck was that config supposed to work anyway with no way to mount a front sight? Confused

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Gun shop guy is an idiot, spent a little time and $ defeating the purpose of the OEM 2 only to cause you to spend time and $ un-doing it!

See, that's the weird thing - I know the shop he got it from, and they seem to be knowledgeable guys, which makes me think that it had to be something the customer requested... maybe, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:How the heck was that config supposed to work anyway with no way to mount a front sight? Confused

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would set this rifle up like that. Very odd.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Gun shop guy is an idiot, spent a little time and $ defeating the purpose of the OEM 2 only to cause you to spend time and $ un-doing it!

See, that's the weird thing - I know the shop he got it from, and they seem to be knowledgeable guys, which makes me think that it had to be something the customer requested... maybe, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:How the heck was that config supposed to work anyway with no way to mount a front sight? Confused

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would set this rifle up like that. Very odd.

It makes sense for a lower cost optic only setup.

No reason to put on a rail if you are only adding a scope or red dot. Free float is nice but not necessary for everyone. The fixed FSB is one reason why I am not personally a fan of the ubiquitous 6920.

Not everybody wants iron sights.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get that but plopping on a longer budget ff still makes more sense (doesn’t have to have rails). Makes no sense for the shop to set it up like this unless a customer asked for it then backed out.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Different strokes for different folks, but for me, EVERY fighting rifle should have backup irons at the very least.

I understand a nice clean build, but having optics being the only sighting option whatsoever on a fighting rifle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Again, YMMV.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Different strokes for different folks, but for me, EVERY fighting rifle should have backup irons at the very least.

I understand a nice clean build, but having optics being the only sighting option whatsoever on a fighting rifle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Again, YMMV.

These guys aren't using any.....

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I see plenty of guys rolling w/o 'irons'.

Red Dots and ACOGs, coupled with IR lasers for use under NVGs at night (where they operate a shit ton), irons are just excess weight.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

These guys aren't using any.....

Oh cheese and rice. Them guys ain't real fightin' dudes -- they're just paid actors, mincing in front of a CG'd blue screen, for a new men's body spray ad. Their guns likely aren't even compliant with "The Chart". <<cue the Gregorian chant music>>

Everyone knows that Rambo only had iron sights on all his ARs. Wink

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
Yeah yeah, poke fun all ya want. : )

I just prefer to have backup irons, sorry.

I plan on just running a good ol PRO in mine, I'm not blessed with as many options as those fellas are.

My rifle, it gets BUIS, no matter what.

However, if you feel that strongly about it, send me the cash to build it, and I'll run it just the way YOU want. : )

/awaits the checks rolling in... Big Grin

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah yeah, poke fun all ya want. : )

I just prefer to have backup irons, sorry.

I plan on just running a good ol PRO in mine, I'm not blessed with as many options as those fellas are.

My rifle, it gets BUIS, no matter what.

However, if you feel that strongly about it, send me the cash to build it, and I'll run it just the way YOU want. : )

/awaits the checks rolling in... Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Try a Steiner P4Xi. You will love it. They don't break the bank either.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of rails out there that will allow you to attach a free float rail to a standard M4 barrel nut.

If you are careful, you could remove the handguard cap and delta ring by cutting most of the way through them with a dremel. This would allow you to install such a handguard without needing to remove the pinned FSB.

If you have the tools to remove the barrel from the upper receiver, this would open up a lot more options of handguards that do use an included barrel nut.

I am partial to these:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/a...lack-153gnhgd12.html

The barrel nut has large wrench flats machined onto it. You do not need a special barrel nut wrench to install it. And the clamping method of attachment means that you do not have to index your handguard by varying your barrel nut torque.

It is a good design.

It has a rail for your BUIS as well. Wink

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

A Knights Armament RAS would snap right onto that and let you add a BUIS. It would not be a dissipator type setup with extended sight radius though.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
http://www.samson-mfg.com/product/Evolution-15.html

You would have to remove the delta ring and handguard end cap, but this would work on your existing barrel nut.

posted Hide Post
If you do decide to remove the gas block and handguard cap it shouldn't be too hard, since the shop obviously has already had them on and off once.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post