SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendation: Test scope for under 300yds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendation: Test scope for under 300yds Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Hello.

I'm looking for a good affordable scope I can use to test customer rifles. Testing will be from 50yds to 300yds. I need something that will withstand the recoil of M14's which are brutal on scopes due to the forward recoil when the bolt slams home.

I'm also looking at a good throw-lever system that I can use with the scope. I've never used a low power scope but I was thinking something with a max magnification between 4x to 9x with an objective no larger than 40mm.

All rifles will be tested with some sort of Picatinny rail in place, either a Bassett scope mount or a receiver which has a Picatinny rail already made into the receiver, like a Bula XM21 or an LRB M25

This scope will constantly have the windage and elevation adjusted as I test different rifles.

I'm thinking of a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 or a Leupold Mark AR Mod1. I'd like to keep it in the $300 to $600 range.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
LaRue for your throw lever mount. About $150
Pickup an older used Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40.
Between $150 and $200.

Make for a good quality set up that is optically very good.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I would be temped to get something like the SWFA SS 10x42. By all accounts it is a rock solid scope, it has target turrets for easy adjustment and adjustable parallax.

While I like LaRue QD mounts and have a bunch, for switching back and forth between a lot of guns I would get an ADM mount (of which I also have several).

To adjust lever tension on a LaRue mount you need a little wrench. With an ADM mount you just open the lever, squeeze the sides together, and spin the nut with your fingers.

I have some rails where if the LaRue mount is tight enough on one of them you can't close it on the other.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll second getting a Leupold. Been nothing but impressed with their CS. Even if the M1 does beat it up they will take care of it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the Leupold FXII 6X. Well under $400 and Leupold CS. Only 64MOA adjustment so maybe a 20MOA QD base to go with it.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a swfa 10x 42mm obj scope a few weeks ago. I really like it. clear glass great parallax adjustment and plenty of magnification for out to 300yds.

What you might be forgetting is the height of the scope in relation to the stock. I would pick up a set of BKL low, mid and High rise rings. that would allow you to fit the scope to the rifle a bit better.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion for the SWFA 10X.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with the SWFA suggestions.

They are solid optics, and SWFA would surely back them.

6x, 10x, 12x, and 16x are all available for the sub $400 tag.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the SWFA.

I'll have to go with medium throw rings and not a single throw mount. The AR style mounts place the scope too high for M14's. I have a strap on cheek riser that will move from rifle to rifle.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check bkl rings, mostly found at Pyramid Air. US made, sub 60 buck range. work excellent.

Here are some of their rings. They have 3 sizes, low, mid, high and all can be had via piccatiny base.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might also check out the sample list. Also the SS scopes are okay for 50cal.

https://samplelist.com/browse?brand_model=7926

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post