SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 930 SPX to a 24" Bird Gun - Need an "In Stock" Barrel Option
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 930 SPX to a 24" Bird Gun - Need an "In Stock" Barrel Option Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Been wanting to convert my 930 SPX from an 18" tactical into a bird gun (dove to be specific) so as to compliment my 870.

Called Mossberg and "Jake" indicated, after telling him what I wanted to accomplish, any 930 barrel would work on my SPX.

So now, a couple questions for the hive; where can I find a 24" matte black barrel, smooth bore, with interchangeable chokes capability, in stock?

Or, if the camo barrel option is my only option, are the smooth bores capable of replacing chokes?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have to measure mine, but I have one laying around somewhere that I took off a 930. I'm not sure of the length. I'll follow up when I'm home from work.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I have to measure mine, but I have one laying around somewhere that I took off a 930. I'm not sure of the length. I'll follow up when I'm home from work.

That would be awesome, thank you.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Search/11636

Either they're rifled barrels or cammo barrels. No matte black, smooth bore type bird barrels.

posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Mossberg line but most field shotguns today feature 28 inch barrels, not 24. Perhaps if you started looking for a 28 inch barrel you might find what you are looking for.

Did a quick poke on the Net and did find this, it's a 24" Turkey barrel with an XXFULL choke tube in a camo finish, so it's close and you would have to spend another 40 dollars for a modified or Imp Mod choke tube. In addition the price for this barrel with the correct choke is darned near what you would pay for a new Remington 870 Field.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5605 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Optics Planet has a blued version of the 24 inch turkey barrel. The one negative is that it comes with fiber optic sights. It sounds like what you really need is the JM Pro barrel. Mossberg will probably sell you just the barrel if you call them.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Optics Planet has a blued version of the 24 inch turkey barrel. The one negative is that it comes with fiber optic sights. It sounds like what you really need is the JM Pro barrel. Mossberg will probably sell you just the barrel if you call them.

When I called them, and confirmed via email, they said only the 930 barrels will interchange with the spx and not require additional changes.

posted Hide Post
Interesting. The new 2020 version of the JM Pro is called a 940, but the previous version was called a 930. I wonder what changed.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to follow up! Sorry. I have a 930 28” ported bock barrel. It was tossed in a parts bin years ago, so it’s not pristine, but it hasn’t been shot much at all. Probably less that 100 rounds.

It’s yours if you want it, just email me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to follow up! Sorry. I have a 930 28” ported bock barrel. It was tossed in a parts bin years ago, so it’s not pristine, but it hasn’t been shot much at all. Probably less that 100 rounds.

It’s yours if you want it, just email me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).

I am in there. Email on its way to ya.