SIGforum
Mossberg 930 SPX to a 24" Bird Gun - Need an "In Stock" Barrel Option

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8270011074

May 12, 2020, 10:17 PM
LS1 GTO
Mossberg 930 SPX to a 24" Bird Gun - Need an "In Stock" Barrel Option
Been wanting to convert my 930 SPX from an 18" tactical into a bird gun (dove to be specific) so as to compliment my 870.

Called Mossberg and "Jake" indicated, after telling him what I wanted to accomplish, any 930 barrel would work on my SPX.

So now, a couple questions for the hive; where can I find a 24" matte black barrel, smooth bore, with interchangeable chokes capability, in stock?

Or, if the camo barrel option is my only option, are the smooth bores capable of replacing chokes?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

May 14, 2020, 02:54 PM
LS1 GTO
Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

May 14, 2020, 04:17 PM
esdunbar
I have to measure mine, but I have one laying around somewhere that I took off a 930. I'm not sure of the length. I'll follow up when I'm home from work.
May 14, 2020, 05:28 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I have to measure mine, but I have one laying around somewhere that I took off a 930. I'm not sure of the length. I'll follow up when I'm home from work.

That would be awesome, thank you.

May 16, 2020, 08:16 AM
GCE61
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Search/11636
May 18, 2020, 02:12 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Search/11636

Either they're rifled barrels or cammo barrels. No matte black, smooth bore type bird barrels.

May 20, 2020, 09:10 PM
Scooter123
I'm not familiar with the Mossberg line but most field shotguns today feature 28 inch barrels, not 24. Perhaps if you started looking for a 28 inch barrel you might find what you are looking for.

Did a quick poke on the Net and did find this, it's a 24" Turkey barrel with an XXFULL choke tube in a camo finish, so it's close and you would have to spend another 40 dollars for a modified or Imp Mod choke tube. In addition the price for this barrel with the correct choke is darned near what you would pay for a new Remington 870 Field.

I've stopped counting.
May 21, 2020, 04:20 PM
Fundman
Optics Planet has a blued version of the 24 inch turkey barrel. The one negative is that it comes with fiber optic sights. It sounds like what you really need is the JM Pro barrel. Mossberg will probably sell you just the barrel if you call them.
May 21, 2020, 09:08 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Optics Planet has a blued version of the 24 inch turkey barrel. The one negative is that it comes with fiber optic sights. It sounds like what you really need is the JM Pro barrel. Mossberg will probably sell you just the barrel if you call them.

When I called them, and confirmed via email, they said only the 930 barrels will interchange with the spx and not require additional changes.

May 22, 2020, 11:49 AM
Fundman
Interesting. The new 2020 version of the JM Pro is called a 940, but the previous version was called a 930. I wonder what changed.
May 22, 2020, 07:05 PM
esdunbar
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to follow up! Sorry. I have a 930 28” ported bock barrel. It was tossed in a parts bin years ago, so it’s not pristine, but it hasn’t been shot much at all. Probably less that 100 rounds.

It’s yours if you want it, just email me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).
May 22, 2020, 07:49 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to follow up! Sorry. I have a 930 28” ported bock barrel. It was tossed in a parts bin years ago, so it’s not pristine, but it hasn’t been shot much at all. Probably less that 100 rounds.

It’s yours if you want it, just email me your address and I’ll drop it in the mail on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday).

I am in there. Email on its way to ya.