SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What height scope rings should I get?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What height scope rings should I get? Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted
My wonderful fiancée will be gifting me $500 in Cabela’s points for Father’s Day – combined with mine I’ll have enough to pay for a Tikka T1X and a Vortex Venom 5-25x56mm.

I’ve ordered a DIP Picatinny 25 MOA Rail for it, now I just need to figure out what scope rings will work. According to DIP’s website, that rail will add approximately 7.1mm height to the receiver. The largest end of the scope is 2.54” (64.52mm) in diameter. If the rings are 27.9mm to the center of the scope height and I add 7.1mm for the rail, that is 35mm. Half of if diameter of the scope would be 32.26, which leaves just 2.74mm.

Is that enough space or should I go with the taller 32mm rings which would leave 6.84mm?

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the lower combination. Also remember the barrel is probably smaller diameter than the receiver which will give you a little more clearance to the large end of the scope.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did not mention the intended purpose of the Tikka with the riflescope.

If it's for hunting where you spend very little time looking through the riflescope, I'm sure a lower combo will be adequate.

On the other hand, if you are going to use the combo for target shooting or anything with a more shooting than hunting, you want to setup the riflescope high enough to provide for a comfortable position looking through it. On my match rifles the riflescope is 2.5 inches above the boreline and I can sit behind the rifle and look through the scope for a long time without fatigue.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
So with a 25 MOA rail I assume this is the UPR and not the MTR, so I would definitely say the taller rings if that is the case. But if you are really uncertain what will be most comfortable, order both and return the rings that don’t line up best with your natural cheek weld.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice!

This will be used mainly for target shooting.

It will be the MTR, but was thinking I'd change the stock at some point in the future, maybe a GRS Bifrost, but that's going to have to wait...

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post