SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    H&K G3 manufacturing (1970)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&K G3 manufacturing (1970) Login/Join 
posted
Thought this was an interesting old video on the making of the G3 rifle. At one point, a group of barreled receivers is shown being dipped in a heated tank of liquid. Parkerizing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFALN8D8t0

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Es war ausgezeichnet.

I have a new appreciation for my '91!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, phosphating, or parkerizing.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn! 70s music, too. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Damn! 70s music, too. Big Grin

...and helmet hair at 3:52 - sorta cute.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I was struck by the overall complications and specializations apparent in the mass production of these fine rifles.

The workers all performed their respective skills with an obvious mechanical efficiency and precision...they all appeared to be very adept and focused on their respective jobs.

The number of quality checks performed throughout the manufacturing process in the video was also quite interesting.

Pretty nifty to see how the action spring was made.

I found the test shooting fixture and the fold-down bench sighting scope particularly interesting...especially how the scope was centered over the butt stock.

With only a single example of a test target shown in the video it is hardly scientific or definitive, but after seeing the first 3 rounds go into one ragged hole and the last 2 rounds straying outside the group I wonder if this was a result of the barrel heating up?

Really interesting video..thanks for posting!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Love these kinds of videos, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

The workers all performed their respective skills with an obvious mechanical efficiency and precision...they all appeared to be very adept and focused on their respective jobs.

Yes, very Germanic. And when it's time for break, they all break for precisely the right amount of time. And then when it's quitting time, they all stop at the same time too.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Very cool- my favorite 7.62x51 battle rifle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'll bet some of those older guys in the video were building Karabiner 98K's and MG34's back in the day!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post