SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a new Del-Ton Sport AR-15...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a new Del-Ton Sport AR-15... Login/Join 
Picture of gunguru123
posted
I am still on a search for a good, inexpensive AR and read good things about DT. IT IS THE sport, with the 1/9 twist, thin barrel, basic AR. Keeping it stock except for a BCM charging handle. I have a migty 100 round mag in it.

A few of my other, a bit more expensive ARs, my DDM4V7, SOLGW M4-SML and my Sig MCX.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Bought a DT upper from a member here years back and fired a decent number of trouble free rounds through it.

With the prices the DT Sports are going for right now, it's been very hard to say no.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I have seen as low as $450'range.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunguru123:
I have seen as low as $450'range.

I want to say grabagun had them at $399?

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
GG:
What scopes & mounts are on the DD & SOLG?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
GG:
What scopes & mounts are on the DD & SOLG?

Both are Vortex, the DDV7 wears the Spitfire II while the SOLGW wears the Strike Eagle 1-6x24. Mounts for the Strike Eagle are Vortex.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Aero Precision is about as long I as I will go in the AR world but let is know how this works out for you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Del-ton DTs we've had in stock had been great sellers and in the $400 price range they crush the other options like the ATI Omni maxx (not that there's anything wrong with the Omni max for a cheap AR, but the del-ton is definitely better quality for around the same price and it doesn't have a polymer lower Wink )

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Are the receiver end plate and carrier key staked?

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Are the receiver end plate and carrier key staked?

No and yes respectively. An the staking isn't anything to write home about.

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I know I said I wouldn't but I changed the furniture up some, added a Geissele 9.5" modular rail and gas block, changed out the butt stock and grip. I shot some 260 rounds today, along side my DDM4V7 and it ran like a champ. I will say the trigger is somewhere south of mil-spec, not very good at all IMO. Maybe it needs some breaking in over time but I am thinking of the Geisele G2S trigger as a replacement, minimal cost but still a good trigger. I like the looks of the thin barrel but it might be suspect in the longevity of this rifle. The bolt would be another part to monitor but can easily be replaced if it has issues as well. Overall, I like the lightweight, inexpensive AR and it did much better than my Saint did for about $300 less.

I didn't really concentrate on its accuracy, I really just wanted to put some rounds down range to test it. It is no Daniel Defense in most respect, obviously a $400-500 dollar AR vs a $1600 AR but it was fun to shoot none the less.

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
So I keep adding some small things, but keeping it cheap. No need to add a $200-300 Geissele trigger as this is a $4-500 AR. But the trigger is not good, makes a mil-spec trigger feel like a competition trigger. Maybe it needs some breaking in but I thought, why not replace the trigger with something slightly better, so I did. I put a Mega-Arms BLK Tactical Trigger...cost me about $60 bucks. Added a vertical grip from my DD and for now, that's about it.

I know I could probably build one for less but when I build one, I want it to be a damn good AR. As it is, I will keep shooting this one as much as I can through probably 1500 or so rounds. Right now, I am at 460 rounds in two range visits now. No malfunctions, even using some steel cased ammo. The rifle doesn't seem to be a 1 MOA rifle but combine cheap ammo, the shooter and my inexperience, could be a reason why. The paint on the barrel is starting to bubble and discolor but as long as it functions. Regardless, this AR has last longer than my POS SA Saint did.

Haven't cleaned it, just ran a snake down the barrel after each range visit. I will do an outdoor range visit, it is a big sandy, dirty with constant wind in this area. This is not a torture test, just curious how this inexpensive AR works.

posted Hide Post
I think you can even get a ruger 556 for around 475$

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post