SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm GLOCK Lower with GLOCK Magazine Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm GLOCK Lower with GLOCK Magazine Issue Login/Join 
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted
I recently purchased a 9MM GLOCK patterned lower from a local manufacturer. I took delivery yesterday and when I tested the lower with my GLOCK branded 33rd magazines, they stick and do not drop free. They load and seat in the mag well, but they have to be pulled out.

I returned to the local manufacturer today to see what the issue was and was advised that they design their lowers to work with the MagPul GLOCK mags and that factory GLOCK mags do stick. Now first and foremost, this is BS as they should have been designed for GLOCK factory mags or at least I should have been told this prior to purchase. Had I known about this, I would not have purchased. So now I'm stuck.

It seems almost impossible to find 27 round MagPul GLOCK mags and even then they are 6 rounds less then the factory 33 rounders which I wanted to use for competition. Even adding an extension to the MagPul (I've only seen +5 ones) mags only gets me to 32 rounds, and those extensions are quite pricey.

So know I don't know what direction to take. Do I start sanding/grinding the lower's mag well to get the GLOCK factory mags to drop free? Do I spend the money on the 27 rd MagPul mags and extension? Do I cut my losses with this lower and go with another? Any other options?

Thanks,
Chris

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now first and foremost, this is BS as they should have been designed for GLOCK factory mags

I agree it is BS. Anyone but a Dumb Ass would have designed it to take Glock magazines.

Cut your losses with this lower and go with another. Reason is I would not be suprised to see other problems pop up when dealing with a dumb ass like that.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Personally I would make them take back said lower! The only other course of action is 400-600 grit sand paper... considering factory 33rd stick mags are $25 now.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That's ridiculous.

I would ask for my money back.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Have you tried ETS mags (31 rounds), maybe they will drop free? gunmagwarhouse have them on sale right now.

I agree its complete crap, hope you get it figured out.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So a Glock lower that was designed around Magpul mags. Pure genius. WTF

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Have you tried ETS mags (31 rounds), maybe they will drop free? gunmagwarhouse have them on sale right now.

I agree its complete crap, hope you get it figured out.

I thought about this and the guy at shop suggested that ETS mags "might" work. Not sure if I want to spend any $$ on "might" work.

Does anyone have an ETS mag, MagPul mag and a set of calipers to take some measurements for me?

Chris

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
So if this guy is making Glock lowers and doesn't know whether ETS mags will work, yet one more reason I'd be running, not walking, away. Too many red flags here.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Final Update: I lightly sanded the mag well to get the GLOCK mags to drop free. Didn't take much sanding to get them to drop free. So problem solved, I thought. Wrong. I noticed before I started sanding that when I inserted the GLOCK mag the feed lips were not perfectly parallel to the mag well. The mag was about 5 degrees off to the left. This was the same after sanding.

I put the pivot pin, take down pin and buffer tube, spring and buffer in and slapped on my other 9mm upper to test function. Sure enough, rounds would not feed from the GLOCK mag. Tested the Magpul mag and feeds just fine (the lips on that when inserted were parallel).

So I gave up. I ended up finding a CZ Scorpion EVO PCC from an LGS that was going out of business. Got a great deal on it so I'll use that in competition this year instead. I pulled all the parts off of the lower and put them back in my parts box. I'll build another 5.56/.223 or .300 blackout with the parts at some point in time. The 9mm lower is going to a buddy of mine. I was going to trash it, but he wanted it for some reason (he knows the issues).

I won't be buying anything else from EDC Tactical. Too bad as I really liked the shop and guys there.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.