SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK guys...need some pricing info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK guys...need some pricing info Login/Join 
posted
I have a chance to purchase an early post-ban Arsenal SA93 AK, NIB/Unfired.
Looks like these are highly desirable AK's being milled receivers.
Read what I could find on the web about them but couldn't find any currently for sale to see what they're going for.
So anyone have an idea what I should pay for one?

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also have a choice between two. Any suggestions on which one?

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
There is a wealth of AK info on this forum: https://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Is the righthand gun a bakelight stock set, or just really glossy wood? Either way, it is much more eye appealing, and if plastic it will be far tougher and more resistant to visible wear. I have a Norinco pre-ban underfolder that I replaced the wood with a bakelight set and it looks and feels 10X better.

Of the two in the pic, my preference would be the one on the right. I've always disliked the fat, cheap looking stock sets. They just look, I don't know, less finished.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
This is what a real milled receiver Chinese AK looks like:

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MG34_Dan
NICE! Really, really NICE!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Is the righthand gun a bakelight stock set, or just really glossy wood? Either way, it is much more eye appealing, and if plastic it will be far tougher and more resistant to visible wear. I have a Norinco pre-ban underfolder that I replaced the wood with a bakelight set and it looks and feels 10X better.

Of the two in the pic, my preference would be the one on the right. I've always disliked the fat, cheap looking stock sets. They just look, I don't know, less finished.

100% agree.
I had pretty much decided on the one on the right, but your input sold me. Thx!
I think that the top hand guard is bakelight with the lower hand guard, pistol grip and stock are painted woood.
As to the other one, agree again.
It looks clunky and the stock has been "Americanized" by being longer with a longer length of pull.
I'd call it "Sporterized".

Thanks again for the input guys!

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
The one on the right appears to have the lower tang for the stock, left looks like it does not.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Check if the right one actually has a lower stock tang. The left one might be one of the stocks designed with an additional internal brace for the milled sporter Bulgarian rifles.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither of them had the lower tang. There's a metal bracket in the rear of the receiver with a screw that goes into the stock.
I picked up the one on the right.
I've been looking at a couple of options a)send it off to be "debanned" or b) Ironwood makes a furniture set for the SA93 single tang milled receivers.
Leaning towards the Inwood furniture but I'm going to check into the cost of "debanning" it before ordering anything.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up giving for it?

I was looking for one a few years ago and ended up getting an SA-95 for $600. It had had been used but not much. It had the plastic thumbhole stock ... I think the 93 had wood, also thumbhole.

I wouldn't bother getting it "De-Band" as it already has been, anything 1990 and later originally had thumbhole stocks until manufacturers started getting enough US parts to satisfy 922r.

When I deband mind I put in the Tapco G2 FCG and MagPul stock set and the TWS top cover with picitinny rail ... they call it the Dogleg, but I they can call it whatever they want, it fits tight/solid.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I paid $650 for a convereted SA95 in January. It's pretty rough and is missing the lower tang but I had some spare Arsenal wood from a demilled parts kit. Trying to sort out how to do the lower tang now...got the parts from CNC Warrior.

I'm not going to swap the sight or gas block but would like to thread the barrel for my Wolverine.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i went with the SLR 95 in ban configuration, then put the proper bbl, fsb, and gas block, added cleaning rod, the lower tang and sourced a stock set. had the Cyrillic markings done for the safety lever and a few other small things. its a classic beauty.

**MG34, that Chinese type III is gorgeous!!

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
that looks terrific. Mind snapping a pic of the rear sling ring? I need to add that to mine because my wood came from a demilled f/a kit that has the loop butterflied in the receiver.

Also...how did you do the rear tang? Drill out the trigger guard rivet too and put two new rivets in place? I'm new to AK building so trying to figure this out. I have a small press and bought a punch that should cover the dome head of the rivet.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up giving for it?

It's part of a multigun deal that I'm working on/in the middle of but I figure I'll have about $1k in this one.

Here he is with his badass little brother.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
It's part of a multigun deal that I'm working on/in the middle of but I figure I'll have about $1k in this one.

I think thats much closer to reasonable than the one I saw on Gunbroker for $2,295.
I think that because the one on Gunbroker is now 922r compliant he's just throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks ... I'm pretty sure you can buy a genuine pre-ban for $2,295

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post