SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience with mossberg and Rossi lever guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with mossberg and Rossi lever guns? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I like the looks and price. Are they good guns or should I pay more and look for older Winchester 94s and marlin 336s?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a Rossi M92 .357 and its been 100%. Its been fantastic.
I had a Marlin that had some issues that were unique to that gun, but i couldnt figure it out.
for 1/2 the price, the m92 is still more smooth and more reliable. But that sample size is also One

I havent tried the Rossi 30-30’s, but kinda want to.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Rossi M92 in 45 colt, it's been 100 % reliable and a whole lot of fun! I highly recommend it!

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Rossi lever guns work just fine. They tend to be a little rough out of the box, but will smooth out with copious levering in front of the TV. The one I owned was quite accurate with my pet handload.

I would look for a used Marlin, but you may have to be patient to find one at a decent price. The new ones are reportedly better than earlier Remlin offerings, but are similarly priced to a good used JM specimen.

I would opt for a Marlin just because they come scope/peep sight ready right out of the box. A Rossi has few peep options without drilling and tapping. One is a Skinner-esce item that replaces the horrid safety lever in the bolt. Marbles makes a pretty expensive tang mount, and there are barrel mounted options that defeat the purpose imo. Should you ever desire a scope, it will be a more custom endeavor.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg 3030.
I really like it. It doesn't like federals on ejection of live rounds. but Remingtons do fine.
. The way the tips of the bullet.
Mine is from the 70's. My first hunting rifle.
Etched with Indians and buffalo. Limited of done kind.
Ejects out the side like Marlins.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
FYI Some of the Henrys have side loading gates now.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rossi 92s are reliable. As far as prices go, they are cheaper compared to current Winchester 92s.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Southern MO the 30-30 was very common but don’t remember which particular brand was the favorite. I recently picked up a Mossberg brush gun - the marincoate with laminate stock and 16” barrel. Well built but I only have the hornady flex tip rounds for it.

It’d be nice to have a classic but not a deal breaker and these newer seem built quite well.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of S/S Rossi's. 357 and 44. both have been flawless and surprisingly accurate.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a Rossi 357 Magnum for almost 10 years and it too has never given me any problems. In the beginning the action was kind of rough, but after a weekend of sitting and watching movies and cycling the action a few thousand times it is now smooth as butter !!! I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3058 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I have had a Rossi 357 Magnum for almost 10 years and it too has never given me any problems. In the beginning the action was kind of rough, but after a weekend of sitting and watching movies and cycling the action a few thousand times it is now smooth as butter !!! I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

Same experience here with the action. There are ways to reduce the force required to get the last few rounds through the loading gate, but I haven't done that to mine yet. You'll need to experiment with a few different handloads and/or commercial loads to find the most accurate through your Rossi.

Overall: A great purchase I'm glad I made.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Henry lever guns. Marlin is fine too, but not as good looking. Like my Mossberg shotguns as well. The Rossi lever guns are a little rough.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
I’d like to acquire a lever gun and since a Marlin 1895 SBL is not in the budget, I’ve taken a shine to the Marinecoat 464.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Rossi M92 in 357. I put a big glob of the finest valve grinding compound I could find at the auto parts store on all the parts, put it together and worked it about a hundred times, now it’s smoot as butter. I also filed down the stupid “safety” on top of the bolt...blued it and re installed it.

Only thing I have with it is the brass comes out having two littl marks on the case mouth when ejected...haven’t figured that out yet, I think it’s the case mouth getting dinged by the chamber opening when extracting as the case begins to be dragged across the opening on the way to the sky in its rearward motion. It may be the ejectorspring is too strong.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate these threads as I find myself wanting to get a Rossi lever gun myself. I have heard only good things about them. I was able to hold one at a local dealer and was amazed at the quality for it's price. It did have some sharp edges but it is nothing that can't be remedied.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post