SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 516 Gen2 upper deal AIM Surplus - Yea or Nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 516 Gen2 upper deal AIM Surplus - Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
posted
Hope this upper is a worth it, because I just bought one. AIM Surplus has the SIG 516 G2 upper on sale for basically half off. Maybe my ability to pass on deals has been compromised by the Corona (virus, not beer), but this seemed a legit good deal.

So question to the forum. Who has one and what do you think? Will I regret this later?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig226fan,

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
My opinion is they're heavy for what they are and there's a reason they're on sale. Sig is pushing them out because they're done with the 516 platform. So replacement part sourcing may become difficult in the future. Also they are 14.5", so unless it's going to be an SBR or your having a flash hider pinned and welded that's another issue, or I suppose there's the brace route. I had a Gen 1 516, ran great but it was heavy and didn't run any better than any of my impingement rifles, so it was sold.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10.5" or bust.

YMMV.

Posts: 142 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
For what you're getting $550 isn't bad. CHF CL barrel, I'm also assuming the BCG is in there. It's a very decent upper for sure.

As stated above, it's discontinued and heavy. But my buddy went all in on these and has about 10 of em because they are being dumped so cheap. He loves em. They are fairly accurate too. The 10.5 really starts to make a lot of sense when you throw a can on it. Their lowers are nice too.

Looks like they are out of stock now, but a phone call to Sig they might have a few laying around they'd dump. My buddy is waiting on them to start dumping the 716 uppers like this too.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
For what you're getting $550 isn't bad. CHF CL barrel, I'm also assuming the BCG is in there. It's a very decent upper for sure.

As stated above, it's discontinued and heavy. But my buddy went all in on these and has about 10 of em because they are being dumped so cheap. He loves em. They are fairly accurate too. The 10.5 really starts to make a lot of sense when you throw a can on it. Their lowers are nice too.

Looks like they are out of stock now, but a phone call to Sig they might have a few laying around they'd dump. My buddy is waiting on them to start dumping the 716 uppers like this too.

I have two 16" 516's and they are solid rifles. Bit heavy but the run clean, reliably, and are as accurate as they should be.
Lancer made a CF handguard kit that is likely still available, CDNN had some of them at reasonable prices awhile back and both of mine are now wearing them.

716 is another animal, the patrol length ones are iffy at best though feedback on the DM versions is better. The biggest issue with going all in on those is they are not compatible with other .308 lowers.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post