SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to optics having trouble with co-witnessing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to optics having trouble with co-witnessing Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Ok first time using a optic. I have a Sig Romeo MSR green dot which comes pre-mounted for absolute co-witness on a carbine. I'm mounting it on a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbine. I have zeroed the iron sights without the optic mounted. I mounted the optic later and when I shoulder the weapon and position my head to look through the aperture to see the front post through the optic the green dot is pinned in the far left bottom corner of the optic and no amount of adjustment will move it.

In order for the dot to be seen in the optic off the bottom left I have to move the weapon off my shoulder and look over the top of the aperture. Wrong mount for the application perhaps? Confused

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Wrong mount for the application perhaps? Confused

Unfortunately, yes.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I have a Sig Romeo MSR green dot which comes pre-mounted for absolute co-witness on a carbine. I'm mounting it on a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbine.

The Romeo MSR is set up for absolute cowitness on an AR or similar rifle with a straight-line stock. There's minimal height difference between the stock and the top of the receiver, so the optic is put on a mount that is several inches tall so that it is in-line with the sights on the rifle, which are also several inches tall.

The CZ Scorpion has a drop comb stock. There is several inches of height difference already between the stock and the top of the receiver. This is why the Scorpion has such short, stubby sights. As a result, this will not work with an AR-height optic like the MSR, since the AR height optic will now be several inches too tall for that application.

You need a red dot in a "low mount" for a CZ Scorpion or similar carbine with a drop comb stock. This will put the optic lower on the receiver, in line with the Scorpion's iron sights, and in-line with your eye when you have your cheek resting on the drop comb stock.

The Sig MSR uses Aimpoint Micro mounts. So find a "Low Mount" for an Aimpoint H1/T1, and install that on your MSR, then mount it on your Scorpion.

AR-15 - straight stock, tall sights, tall optic mount:

CZ Scorpion - stock that drops down several inches, low sights, low optic mount:

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rouge for a very detailed explanation. What mount would work for this particular optic with my Scorpion? I see you edited to add answer my question. Thank you!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. I figured out a very uniqne situation that works for me with my Scorpion. I have an Aimpoint Micro, and I use it with an ADM QD Mount meant for a CASV rail, so basically one step above the lowest mount. I've found that it co-witnesses almost perfectly with Troy Micro HK style back up irons. It's a nice low setup, without being too low for me and it allows me to use flip-up irons.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just to prevent confusion: JonDaddy's suggestion will work if you replace the iron sights with slightly taller ones like he did with the Troy Micro sights, but will be too tall for the factory Scorpion sights.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post