SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Condor O/U shotgun, not digging the bead sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Condor O/U shotgun, not digging the bead sight Login/Join 
posted
Bought a Condor O/U shotgun, not digging the bead front sight. What can I replace with? Press sight fwiw... any good fiber optic or other?

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off Sporting Shotguns do NOT have sights, they have either one or two beads. These shotguns are NOT sighted then fired they are Point Shot and you should NEVER look to the bead when firing at your target. Because if you look to your bead you will pull the gun off your target.

The reason for this is because clay pigeons or live birds are moving quite rapidly. In the case of clays they can be moving between 35 and 70 mph on a normal range and up to 100 mph if someone has cranked the spring tension on the thrower to maximum.

The Skeet field is arranged on a semi circle with a 63 foot radius radius. So the "window" the clay pigeons is 126 feet across. This means that you have to learn to shoot quick and there simply is not enough time to even consider sighting the shotgun at your target. This is why "Fit" is so freaking critical with a shotgun. It is critical that when the shotgun is married to your cheek it shoots exactly where you are looking. BTW, Olympic level shotgun competitors will spend hours every single day doing nothing but mounting the shotgun to insure that they are 100% consistent in mounting their gun exactly the same every single time.

To sum it up, shooting a "scattergun" at an itty bitty little clay pigeon aint the least bit easy. Good news is that once you start hitting it can become very enjoyable and satisfying.

I can also tell you that several very good Skeet shooters I know started with a lowly Stoeger shotgun. They distinctly plain looking, a bit heavy, and the balance may not be perfect but they are a good reliable shotgun that can provide 5 or 10 years of good service.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I never look at the beads on my Beretta 686. That is one of the first things you are taught shooting sporting clays or birds.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Regardless of normal use or not of a bead, one can get a variety of clip on colored beads or sights.

I have two shotguns that were cut down some, one has the vented-rib, the other not. With a rib it’s easy to add a clip on, plain barrel one can also clip something on. It may spin some on the plain barrel.

Just some ideas, not getting into the specifics of wingshooting.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, fit is critical. The proper alignment of beads tells you only that you have the gun mounted correctly. Once you get a proper mount, forget the beads and focus on the moving target. I advocate using the Easyhit fiber optic shotgun sight made by Champion. I have them mounted on all my shotguns. It attaches to the rib with adhesive. It was developed by the late Tom Knapp, shotgun exhibition shooter. You can see the bead with this sight only if you have the gun mounted properly and your head is down on the gun where it should be, so it is a training tool as well. If you can't see the bead properly your mount is wrong, or your gun needs to be adjusted for fit.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the already good advice given here, forget the bead is there at all. If you're full concentration is on the clay or bird you won't see the bead and if you do, you've missed already. I don't understand why shotgun manufacturers ever install fiber optic sights on a gun made for wingshooting. They're only good for turkey hunting.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post