SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Removing AR handguards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing AR handguards Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Any tricks to doing this? I know there are tools available, but I'll likely only do this once, so I don't want to shell out on something unnecessarily.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming we are talking traditional AR handguards? No trick. Push down on the slip ring and lift it up and out. the issue is that the amount of pressure is more than you think.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Assuming we are talking traditional AR handguards? No trick. Push down on the slip ring and lift it up and out. the issue is that the amount of pressure is more than you think.

Yeah, I noticed. Hence my post LOL

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yup, seen those, but refer to my OP. Ill buy one and then be stuck with it since I neither build nor customize ARs, I just need to get the guards off and back on, once.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
The Wheeler tool makes it very simple. $14 at Midway. I know you don’t want to buy the a tool for this but I don’t really know of an easy, tool less way to do it.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
I deleted my post after I realized you said you didn’t want to buy the tool. I’ve done it with out the tool. It’s not impossible by any stretch, just more difficult.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
The Wheeler tool makes it very simple. $14 at Midway. I know you don’t want to buy the a tool for this but I don’t really know of an easy, tool less way to do it.

With shipping and tax it's nearer 25 bucks, but thanks.

Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:

With shipping and tax it's nearer 25 bucks, but thanks.

If you were close to me I’d loan you mine.

posted Hide Post
The TM doesn't have a tool. In any case if you are struggling the best I can suggest is get a friend.
If your still in trouble after that you can easily make the tool with a little rod.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
^^^Yeah, get an extra pair of hands.

One of you pull down the ring, the other remove the handguard from the retainer.

If you can muster it, it can still be done with one person.

As far as tools, an old buddy of mine actually made one from a wire coat hanger. He basically yoked the coat hanger around his neck, fed the hook into one of the holes in the handguard and pulled his neck back while he used both hands to pull on the retaining ring.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as tools, an old buddy of mine actually made one from a wire coat hanger. He basically yoked the coat hanger around his neck, fed the hook into one of the holes in the handguard and pulled his neck back while he used both hands to pull on the retaining ring.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
How much was the chiropractic visit after that? I only ask because I used to do such things. My LGS does not charge for stuff like that. Guys at the range are always a big help with this kind of stuff.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Got it done.

posted Hide Post
Have an assistant use the rubber coated handles of a large set of channel-locks to trap the ring and push it down.

The next time I needed to do one, I bought a proper tool.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never understood the tools made for this, unless we are talking a1 type slip rings vs A2 (and xm177) delta rings. Even then, tools are not required. Do one handguard piece at a time. It’s very easy.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Too late to the party, I just read your thread, I've got one in case you might need one again.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
...Use the rubber coated handles of a large set of channel lock pliers to trap the ring and push it down.

+1... This has always worked for me but I too eventually just bought the proper tool. Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I accomplished that on my first one about 40 years ago,I was strong and tough then.
Now I am a tired old man but I have had one of them tool thingys for 39 years

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
...Use the rubber coated handles of a large set of channel lock pliers to trap the ring and push it down.

+1... This has always worked for me but I too eventually just bought the proper tool. Smile

Same here. I can use my forearm to push down on the channel locks and be able to use the same hand to remove/install the new ones.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yep - channel locks - sit in chair with butt of rifle on ground - hook leg over jaw end of channel locks and use one hand to push down the handles- other hand pulls the handguard off - im also too cheap to buy a tool for a one time use because i dont regularly swap handguards - one and done

Posts: 168 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I accomplished that on my first one about 40 years ago,I was strong and tough then.
Now I am a tired old man but I have had one of them tool thingys for 39 years

My story too. I did mine once years ago, I’m pretty sure I don’t have the hand strength to do it now. Arthritis is robbing me of several skills I used to have.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post