SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Okay, maybe it's time for a Garand, but I have some questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, maybe it's time for a Garand, but I have some questions Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case."

$750, shipping now. Thecmp.org
Mine was nearly unfired.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, "

$750, shipping now. Thecmp.org
Mine was nearly unfired.

Bruce

Enabler.

Did you post a pic of it in that thread?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I just became a card carrying member of the Garand Collectors Association. I could be the proud owner of a Garand very soon...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot one a time or two but am interested in getting one. A friend has more than a few and I have been asking him about selling one to me.

I am curious as to a fair price to offer for something service grade or higher.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunit:
I have shot one a time or two but am interested in getting one. A friend has more than a few and I have been asking him about selling one to me.

I am curious as to a fair price to offer for something service grade or higher.

CMP pricing is ground floor unless you have a REAL generous buddy.

Local pricing for a service grade is $9-1,200 at the low end and crack smokers ask for $2K.

The real joke are the guys asking that same $9-1,200 for a beat, reparked rack grade.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1,000 was what I was figuring. He is a good friend with way too many Garlands, just have to hope he will part with one.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I'll find out in 2-4 weeks or so. I'll post pictures.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend doesn't want to let go of any of his. Does FOP membership satisfy eligibility requirements for CMP purchase?

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
From the CMP order form:

2. Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization: You
must provide a copy of your current membership card
or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot
be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated
organizations located in many parts of the country.
Membership in many of these organizations costs
$25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing
of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on
our “CLUBS” tab on our web site at www.TheCMP.org. If
you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact
the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing custserve@
TheCMP.org. We will find one for you.
In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several
special affiliates. Membership in these organizations
satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special
affiliates include:
• Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations
such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc.
• U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National
Guard, to include retirees. Copy of ID required.
• Law Enforcement departments and agencies and
Law Enforcement organizations and associations
(to include LEO retirees). Copy of ID required. Note:
Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles,
parts, and ammunition. Club membership is NOT
required for instructional publications or videos or
CMP memorabilia.
3. Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You
must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship
related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the
safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your
marksmanship related activity does not have to be
with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles,
pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship
participation can be provided by documenting any of
the following:
• Current or past military or law enforcement service.
• Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun
competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
• Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included
live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of
completion or a statement from the instructor).
• Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
• Concealed Carry License.
• Firearms Owner Identification Card that includes live
fire training.
• FFL or C&R license.
• Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included
live fire training.
• Certification from range or club official or law
enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A
form for use in completing and certifying your range
firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/marksmanship.
pdf.
• No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.
Proof of club membership and citizenship required
for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is only required
for purchase of rifles.

So if FOP means Fraternal Order of Police [Officers?] I can see that meeting those two requirements.

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why would you want a historic rifle, but not the cartridge for which it was originally chambered? As it was known, the “Ball Cartridge, Caliber .30, Model of 1906” is quite the historic old girl herself, having served our country through three major conflicts, while soldiering on in other militaries well into the 1970’s. I know M1s were converted to 308, but that was just a way to keep the rifle in service a little longer and simplify logistics. To me, M1 and 30-06 are two pieces of the same history. It’s like saying you want a Trapdoor, but could you get that in something besides 45-70? On a more pragmatic note, M1 specific ammo is more readily available in 30-06, so there’s less chance of damaging the rifle when using factory loads. Whatever you choose, congratulations on choosing a Garand. They are so fun to shoot and own.

And remember kids, when pronouncing “Garand,” it should rhyme with “errand.” Smile

ETA: I know the Trapdoor is a conversion from a musket. I may be conflicted a little with my example. Smile In all fairness, though, the 45-70 has a storied history as well, worth owning in its own right.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Because if I had it in a caliber I was using then I could lie to myself and say it wasn't really a safe queen. But that ship sailed and I'm going full down the M1 rabbit hole. Wheeee!!

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Have you ordered some clips yet? A sling? Sight protecters? Can of lithium grease? Read anything about removing stock dings? Bayonet and scabbard? Stick oil? Chamber brush and cleaning kit? Maintainance manual? What are you waiting for?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Well, I guess I'll find out in 2-4 weeks or so. I'll post pictures.

Big Grin. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Have you ordered some clips yet? A sling? Sight protecters? Can of lithium grease? Read anything about removing stock dings? Bayonet and scabbard? Stick oil? Chamber brush and cleaning kit? Maintainance manual? What are you waiting for?

2-4 weeks according to the CMP. Wink

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Did you order the Service Grade?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Yes. Two of the Springfield/H&R luck of draw service grade rifles. Should arrive right around my birthday.

posted Hide Post
Wink Have they arrived yet? I just gave mine a good oiling and a little admiration. Mine dates from about Sept. 1942, Springfield Armory. During the obligatory depot period sometime in it's lifespan, they didn't replace the WWII issue rear sights.

(slight correction; that's 1943).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Because if I had it in a caliber I was using...

With that logic, I'm puzzled how the caliber's you are using became the calibers you are using, since at one point you weren't using them, so by your logic you shouldn't be using them. Wink

Because something is in "another caliber" you don't already use, that is reason enough to buy said firearm, for that reason alone. Smile

These people who want to "simplify", narrow down, or eschew new calibers are bonkers. They should be ignored and avoided at all costs. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Unless... you're buying the wrong one on purpose.

When a .308 comes, you still won't own a true M1 Garand, and will have to buy one in .30-06 anyway at a later date. Genius!

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post